Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2022, 04:51 PM   #101
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Buy a toaster oven combo “air fryer” (convection oven).

Like this: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/c...w.ds#store=260
Might seem obvious, but why do you like that option? We don’t have a toaster oven and use our oven a lot for many cooking tasks. Do you use it a lot?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 05:27 PM   #102
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Might seem obvious, but why do you like that option? We don’t have a toaster oven and use our oven a lot for many cooking tasks. Do you use it a lot?
Yeah I’ve had a toaster oven instead of a microwave for probably 12 years and love it. We use it way more than our oven. I use it at least once every day.

My latest one died, so I replaced it with the model I linked (bought on sale half off because you should never buy full price things at Canadian tire). I hate having excess appliances, so I’d never buy something like an air fryer or an instantpot.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2022, 05:37 PM   #103
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a double oven, use the smaller top oven for most things, it heats up really quickly, the lower oven only gets used for big dinners
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2022, 06:56 PM   #104
chubeyr1
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
The giant bag of Cavendish fries at Costco. I use a Cosori air fryer, so I do the fries at 400F and shake the basket ever 7-8 minutes until the desired crispness is hit.

However, because it's Costco... I also walk away with their brown gravy mix and squeak'rs cheese. I "over fry" the Cavendish fries, add the cheese and gravy and it works awesome for a "poutine".
I love a good poutine.

That said I havent had a good one unless I make it myself.

You absolutely have to overcook the fries. Otherwise you end up with the worst mash potatoes and gravy you ever had.

Really disgusting.

This is like soggy chicken wings. Equally disgusting.

They should both be crisp when you take a bite. Not mush.
chubeyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 07:01 PM   #105
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I have a double oven, use the smaller top oven for most things, it heats up really quickly, the lower oven only gets used for big dinners
Well la-de-da Mr Fancy 2 Ovens.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2022, 09:49 PM   #106
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Looking for advice and recommendations on air fryers. We’re a household of two so don’t need a big one. Purchase cost isn’t a big issue but I want ease of use and reliability. I’d like to minimize the footprint due to limited counter space, but I guess we could store it off the counter. What do you like and recommend?
I am yet to hear anyone not liking their air fryers, so I’m guessing they are all simple and reliable enough. We got a $120 Instant Vortex from BBB and we love it for wings, calamari, pastry and potato skins. But the $50 one from Costco looks very similar too.
Old 06-16-2022, 09:58 AM   #107
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
The giant bag of Cavendish fries at Costco. I use a Cosori air fryer, so I do the fries at 400F and shake the basket ever 7-8 minutes until the desired crispness is hit.

However, because it's Costco... I also walk away with their brown gravy mix and squeak'rs cheese. I "over fry" the Cavendish fries, add the cheese and gravy and it works awesome for a "poutine".
Are you happy with the Cosori? I have been looking at picking up the 5.8 one as I want one that is a little bigger. My parents have a smaller ninja that I have tried to cook bacon in, which is great, just a little too small.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 10:17 AM   #108
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I’ve had a toaster oven instead of a microwave for probably 12 years and love it. We use it way more than our oven. I use it at least once every day.
Same. My toaster oven is the most used appliance in my kitchen, I probably use it every day. We have an air fryer too, so the combo looks like a great idea.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2022, 10:19 AM   #109
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Same. My toaster oven is the most used appliance in my kitchen, I probably use it every day. We have an air fryer too, so the combo looks like a great idea.
Free your countertops and cupboards!

AFC has given me a dream I didn’t even know I wanted… when my stove dies I’m getting a double oven and ditching the toaster oven!
Old 06-16-2022, 10:37 AM   #110
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

My air fryer is my favorite kitchen appliance by far. Use it pretty much every day. Skewers of meat come out just like they'd been on the barbecue, with no hassle and virtually no cleaning.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 10:58 AM   #111
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
How much counter space does it take and how high is it? You’re likely not at home so an approximation is fine, and thank you.
Old 06-16-2022, 11:00 AM   #112
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
My air fryer is my favorite kitchen appliance by far. Use it pretty much every day. Skewers of meat come out just like they'd been on the barbecue, with no hassle and virtually no cleaning.

Yes yes they are great. But what people need to understand is it is just a convection oven. Some of you may already have one.

If you want another specialized appliance fine, but it’s a convection oven in a smaller size. Which you can get, in units that are much more versatile. Exact same results, by the exact same means. You don’t need an “air fryer” to do it.

Last edited by Scroopy Noopers; 06-16-2022 at 11:03 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2022, 11:05 AM   #113
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got the Kalorik Maxx for Christmas - "it functions as an air fryer, roaster, broiler, grill, rotisserie, dehydrator, oven, toaster, pizza oven, and warmer." I love this thing, I use it so much that 3 days ago was the first time I've turned my actual oven on in about a month, maybe longer. Kind of makes me want to get rid of my oven entirely, just have a cooktop. The one I linked comes with a bacon tray, which mine didn't have and I may see if I can buy it separately.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2022, 11:09 AM   #114
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
I got the Kalorik Maxx for Christmas - "it functions as an air fryer, roaster, broiler, grill, rotisserie, dehydrator, oven, toaster, pizza oven, and warmer." I love this thing, I use it so much that 3 days ago was the first time I've turned my actual oven on in about a month, maybe longer. Kind of makes me want to get rid of my oven entirely, just have a cooktop. The one I linked comes with a bacon tray, which mine didn't have and I may see if I can buy it separately.
That looks great. Same question, do you have the height and counter footprint? I really like that one.
Old 06-16-2022, 11:10 AM   #115
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes yes they are great. But what people need to understand is it is just a convection oven. Some of you may already have one.

If you want another specialized appliance fine, but it’s a convection oven in a smaller size. Which you can get, in units that are much more versatile. Exact same results, by the exact same means. You don’t need an “air fryer” to do it.
I used to think the same thing, but it's not true. A good air fryer is a high air-movement convection oven. And that makes a material difference in the speed of cooking.
Old 06-16-2022, 11:26 AM   #116
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That looks great. Same question, do you have the height and counter footprint? I really like that one.
Height, yes. Footprint, no. My house is little and my kitchen is a wee one. I'm thinking of asking my FIL to make me a wood top that fits over my cooktop, that I can just remove when I need to use the cooktop - he's a retired master carpenter, and this would be a quick and easy build for him.

That, or getting a kitchen shelf/rack something like this that I would just add wheels to (or find one with wheels) - I have a spot it would fit and I could store other things on it, to free up a couple of spots.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 11:30 AM   #117
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I used to think the same thing, but it's not true. A good air fryer is a high air-movement convection oven. And that makes a material difference in the speed of cooking.
Also, it's easier and faster to pull out the drawer of an air fryer to check on things, move stuff around, and continue the cooking process than it is with an oven. That's a material difference in the user experience imo.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2022, 12:46 PM   #118
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
I am yet to hear anyone not liking their air fryers, so I’m guessing they are all simple and reliable enough.
I really don't like my air fryer. I think a big part of it is due to it being too small. I can cook about a dozen wings in a reasonable amount of time, but more than that and the time goes up significantly. The only good side of my air fryer is apparently there is a recall on it, so Best Buy is supposed to be giving me most of my money back.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 01:01 PM   #119
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How much counter space does it take and how high is it? You’re likely not at home so an approximation is fine, and thank you.

Aren’t these generally built-in?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 01:28 PM   #120
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I really don't like my air fryer. I think a big part of it is due to it being too small. I can cook about a dozen wings in a reasonable amount of time, but more than that and the time goes up significantly. The only good side of my air fryer is apparently there is a recall on it, so Best Buy is supposed to be giving me most of my money back.
OK, so you need a larger one. We can have about 2-dozen wings in ours and they all get crispy without an issue.