Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who should start game one?
Rittich 130 40.25%
Talbot 193 59.75%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2020, 04:51 PM   #241
AT77
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post

You are gonna get rolled.
Lol, of course I’d love and hope for the Flames to win but I’m being realistic here. I just don’t think they’re a playoff caliber team, which I think has been proven over the years. Not saying the Jets are an incredible playoff team either, but they’ve definitely had more success than we’ve had. Being realistic doesn’t make me a negative or fake fan, and I hope they can prove me wrong, but I just don’t see it with this team. I’m fine with taking the rose coloured glasses off and admitting the truth when it comes to the Flames rather than having a homer, biased opinion.

I also just think the Jets are a better team overall. Their firepower is unreal, their goaltending is better, and their d-core played much better down the stretch and started to click it seemed. They really hung around especially after losing so many big names on their back end. Our defense on the other hand, as good as it is on paper, has proven to be a train wreck more often than not, especially this season.
AT77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 05:01 PM   #242
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT77 View Post
Lol, of course I’d love and hope for the Flames to win but I’m being realistic here. I just don’t think they’re a playoff caliber team, which I think has been proven over the years. Not saying the Jets are an incredible playoff team either, but they’ve definitely had more success than we’ve had. Being realistic doesn’t make me a negative or fake fan, and I hope they can prove me wrong, but I just don’t see it with this team. I’m fine with taking the rose coloured glasses off and admitting the truth when it comes to the Flames rather than having a homer, biased opinion.
No, you're not. You are actually being excessively pessimistic. People anticipating a good result in what looks like an incredibly close matchup are not expressing opinions borne of "homerism" and bias. The Flames have matched up consistently well with the Jets ever since they relocated to Winnipeg. David Rittich has never lost to them in regulation time, and as good as Hallybuyck has been for them this year, he also has a history of struggling against Calgary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2020, 05:11 PM   #243
AT77
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
No, you're not. You are actually being excessively pessimistic. People anticipating a good result in what looks like an incredibly close matchup are not expressing opinions borne of "homerism" and bias. The Flames have matched up consistently well with the Jets ever since they relocated to Winnipeg. David Rittich has never lost to them in regulation time, and as good as Hallybuyck has been for them this year, he also has a history of struggling against Calgary.
True, it does look like a close matchup, but last year’s matchup looked like a sure win, and how did that turn out? We just don’t have a sure playoff performer, our top players disappear, and I think regular season matchups are thrown out the window when it comes to the playoffs. Playoffs a whole different animal, one I don’t think the Flames, or at least this version of the Flames, are capable of handling.
AT77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 05:19 PM   #244
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
True, it does look like a close matchup, but last year’s matchup looked like a sure win, and how did that turn out? We just don’t have a sure playoff performer, our top players disappear, and I think regular season matchups are thrown out the window when it comes to the playoffs. Playoffs a whole different animal, one I don’t think the Flames, or at least this version of the Flames, are capable of handling.
The Avs were and are a great team...couple bounces they could have won the cup last season. They were only and 8th seed because of injuries and goal tending issues that they solves before the playoffs.

You say the Jets have been coming on lately...Flames are over .600 hockey since the coaching change and had their own injuries on the back end. Pick the Jets if you want stating "we are gonna get rolled" like its a fact is obviously pessimistic against a team that only qualified because the number of teams was expanded.
Old 06-13-2020, 06:00 PM   #245
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames limped into the dance again like last year I'd be worried but this is totally different. Its a crap shoot picking a winner, its all based on who'll be ready to go out of the gate.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 06:05 PM   #246
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You may end up being right but at this point we don’t know so because someone has a different view doesn’t make them “less realistic”, “homers” or other nonsensical labels you are using
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 07:54 PM   #247
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
If anything, the fact that the playoffs will be played in empty buildings this year, and without any travel I think bodes very well in the Flames's favour.

Quote:
Old 06-13-2020, 08:01 PM   #248
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames last year went into the playoffs cold as ice, and one of the best 3 players in the league for Colorado was the difference maker. I like the odds this year 3 times better than last year.
MrMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 08:05 PM   #249
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nothing about the way the Flames have played the Jets over the entire past few years suggests that they're going to get rolled.

Edged, enough to lose the series? Sure. But winnipeg hasn't really steamrolled the flames at all since their reincarnation outside of i think a season ending game with rookies and once 4-1 with an ENG tacked on when they were actually severely outplayed but goalie stood on his head. The flames have blown them out on a few occasions in some more wide open matches in that time though.

And can't dismiss that Gaudreau has been highly productive against the Jets.

There's simply no indication that a series with them is even likely to go that way. It's pretty much asinine to call it "realistic". That's straight pessimism. It will be close, ill be shocked if either side runs away with a sweep.

Last edited by djsFlames; 06-13-2020 at 08:11 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 08:06 PM   #250
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Really these play in rounds are going to be complete crapshoots I think.

Just like at the start of every season a random team (like Montreal) can be the hottest team in the league for a few weeks and cause an upset.

Rittich has typically started each season as one of the best in the league I believe, so the time off could be awesome if he's starting fresh. Johnny and Monahan could certainly do well in a restart as well.

Should be fun around the league!
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2020, 08:21 PM   #251
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT77
their d-core played much better down the stretch and started to click it seemed. They really hung around especially after losing so many big names on their back end. Our defense on the other hand, as good as it is on paper, has proven to be a train wreck more often than not, especially this season.
What happened during the regular season means jack squat at this point. These guys haven't played a game in three months, so it's basically a brand new season and a fresh start for everybody.

On paper these teams are very evenly matched. Jets have the advantage in goal, Flames have the better D, and the offence is essentially a draw. Throw in the unpredictable circumstances and format. No white-out. No sea of red. Trying to predict a winner in this thing is a total crap shoot.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 08:28 PM   #252
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Crapshoot for sure, although I like the prospect of a road tourney for the top road team in the league from November on.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2020, 04:49 PM   #253
Spinach
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
If anything, the fact that the playoffs will be played in empty buildings this year, and without any travel I think bodes very well in the Flames's favour.
Why? All the other teams are in the same position. Or are you referring to the Flames' lacklustre showings at the Dome before the season was cut short?
Old 06-14-2020, 04:54 PM   #254
Spinach
Scoring Winger

Exp:

These play-in series will be a total crapshoot.

And imagine being one of the teams that does get ousted after three to five games? You spend all this time preparing for what, a week of hockey? Losing in the pre-postseason would really suck.

On the other hand, it's been so long since these guys have been on ice that a lot of fans' interest level won't be very high anyway, so I don't know.
Old 06-14-2020, 05:00 PM   #255
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Pretty sure fan interest won't be an issue.

Will be lots of renewed optimism as people forget about their team issues pre-break and let their imaginations to get carried away.

Yes the empty stands will be jarring at first but I think people will get used to it also.

I'm curious to see if there is even better focus from players to execute amazing plays without the distraction of 20,000 people screaming at them.
Old 06-14-2020, 05:33 PM   #256
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Stats vs Calgary:

Code:
GP      W       L      T        SV%      GAA
9	5	2	0	.932	1.97
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 05:35 PM   #257
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I'm curious to see if there is even better focus from players to execute amazing plays without the distraction of 20,000 people screaming at them.
Interesting question. I have always judged professional golfers and tennis players for not being able to handle a bit of crowd noise unlike other sports but maybe removed crowd noise does result in a higher level of play.

I'm not sure if improved execution will result in a better game however. If you reduce mistakes this could result in less turnovers and less scoring chances. This is like how international hockey on the big rink is far less exciting than NHL hockey on a small rink because in the NHL you actually get turnovers closer to scoring locations.
Old 06-14-2020, 06:03 PM   #258
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
Why? All the other teams are in the same position. Or are you referring to the Flames' lacklustre showings at the Dome before the season was cut short?
Some of that, but mostly because I think this group of players seem to struggle with emotions in the building during games. We saw this played out in last year's playoffs when Colorafo fed off the intensity of the crowd's in both the Saddledome and the Pepsi Center, and the Flames wilted.

My hunch is that empty buildings will affect every team differently, but that the Flanes are likely to be among those that benefit.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:

Last edited by Textcritic; 06-14-2020 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-14-2020, 09:52 PM   #259
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Stats vs Calgary:

Code:
GP      W       L      T        SV%      GAA

Five wins in nine starts is not stellar. I believe that Hellebyuck has also been pulled twice.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:

Last edited by Textcritic; 06-14-2020 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-14-2020, 10:52 PM   #260
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Five wins in nine starts is not stellar. I believe that Hellebyuck has also been pulled twice.
Sorry, he's been pulled twice in 9 starts and is still rocking a .932 save percentage? That is ####ing terrifying.

I've said all along that this series could easily go either way but if you aren't worried about Hellebuyck, it would be an understatement to say that I question your objectivity.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post: