Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2018, 09:36 PM   #61
Teroy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
I think a lot of us feel the same way. I was born a Flames fan in 1980 and this is by far the worst season I have seen. I live in Victoria and proudly support my team. This was the first year I gave up and absolutely had no faith or pride in their play. Going to be a long painful summer, especially seeing teams in our division getting better (at the draft) I worry Vancouver will be better than us soon.

Going to be sick to my stomach if the coaching staff is back and the team can't take a step forward next year.
Same here. Been a fan since day 1. This has been one of the most disappointing season I've ever sat through. I see no improvement next year with what we've got. Major changes need to be made and if that requires moving one of Smith, Gaudreau, Giordano, etc, then that's what needs to be done. Have never liked GG but you can't lay it all on him. Don't tell me that it's all about the system. These guys are smart enough to make up the play. We don't have enough Tkachuks. We don't have enough tough. I said tough, not thugs. I hate Marchand/Lucic but we need players like that on this team. We're pussies.
Teroy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teroy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2018, 09:37 PM   #62
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I did a quick search and a tweet had the 50/50 closing in on $900000
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:40 PM   #63
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSam View Post
Well pardon me for calling a coach with over 1300 NHL games a real coach over some one that has a heck of a lot less games under his belt. Except for you and Gully's family, I would expect 100 times out of 100, hockey fans would take Maurice over Gulutzan.
I'm no fan of Gulutzan. Nor of random internet posters who continually post nonsense and stupidity.
Both need to go, or stop. Or something.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2018, 09:44 PM   #64
Cortez
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teroy View Post
Same here. Been a fan since day 1. This has been one of the most disappointing season I've ever sat through. I see no improvement next year with what we've got. Major changes need to be made and if that requires moving one of Smith, Gaudreau, Giordano, etc, then that's what needs to be done. Have never liked GG but you can't lay it all on him. Don't tell me that it's all about the system. These guys are smart enough to make up the play. We don't have enough Tkachuks. We don't have enough tough. I said tough, not thugs. I hate Marchand/Lucic but we need players like that on this team. We're pussies.
Man. Not saying you are wrong but wow. I feel completely different. I think this team is close and that we just need some tweeks- not a complete overhaul. I think a top line scorer and a really good head coach will go a long way
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cortez For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2018, 09:46 PM   #65
OldSam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Random internet poster? Is that what you think I am? All righty then. I bow to your intellect and knowledge and admit my stupidity. I will never question your superiority again.
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:49 PM   #66
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teroy View Post
Yeah he's really making a difference for the Oilers.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2018, 09:49 PM   #67
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Well pardon me for calling a coach with over 1300 NHL games a real coach over some one that has a heck of a lot less games under his belt. Except for you and Gully's family, I would expect 100 times out of 100, hockey fans would take Maurice over Gulutzan.
I don’t think either are great coaches. For Maurice he does seem more of a motivational coach. Setup the players right, but let them take leeway when the player feels they need it.

GG fails to me because the process/system manages people. The players are micro managed to death. I know the players love him, but they need a coach (and players) that can be creative and show leadership. Too many players that love being told exactly what to do. It has to stop. What results is a player doung what is told, taking a low risk shot, and skating back the the bench. Its what the system dictates.

The way out is to identify the players that can step up. Trade the mindless tools or cut them (Brouwer). Get a coach that doesn’t play cerebral, but sets the players up and lets them lead. Make them want to win, back away, and let them play smart and passionately. Let them know they own this not the process.

Its how high performing organizations run.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2018, 09:50 PM   #68
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fortnite>>>watching Flames

Treliving has two choices. To put his job on the line and protect GG, or he can fire him and get a coach with a substantial amount of experience in to right the ship.

If he’s a smart man the decision is painfully obvious.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2018, 09:55 PM   #69
nwflamesfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

nm

nwflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:05 PM   #70
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Random internet poster? Is that what you think I am? All righty then. I bow to your intellect and knowledge and admit my stupidity. I will never question your superiority again.
Draw whatever inference you choose.
99% of everyone here are random internet posters, just like you and me.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:06 PM   #71
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Expecting a buyout probably.
You all should brace for disappointment.

I have a a bad feeling Glue gun and Brouwer are not going anywhere.

Tres probably looking at Winnipeg, Nashville and Colorado right now and thinking patience and with all the talking heads in the media preaching the same thing. I wouldn't get to excited just yet.

Hes talked in the past about the importance of having stability in coaching before.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:14 PM   #72
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
I don't think it's buy in at all. The advanced stats show otherwise.

That's why I can't back the narrative of "it's the players faults" when the advanced stats "rank" them among the best in the league.

Bad deployment, bad strategy, lots of shots, few goals.

This is a team on autopilot.
Stopped reading because of this.

Advanced stats are as useful as a divining rod. Perennial loser like the Oilers and a ton of other ####ty teams have been winning advanced stas for years with nothing to show for it.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:22 PM   #73
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post

Advanced stats are as useful as a divining rod. Perennial loser like the Oilers and a ton of other ####ty teams have been winning advanced stas for years with nothing to show for it.
But but but... look at all those banner-raising ceremonies at Rogers Arena! /s
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:23 PM   #74
FlameFan21
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Whatever. I had a pleasant time watching from the nosebleeds, didn't get embarrassed. Happy Foo scored his first.
FlameFan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:45 PM   #75
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post

It's blatantly clear you stopped reading, because your post doesn't address Frank MetaMusil's argument at all.

Gulutzan preaches a "puck possession" style. He frequently brings up advanced stats like Corsi in his post game press conferences, so clearly the team looks at those internally. He believes that having strong Corsi% is a part of being successful. We're top-3 in the NHL in Corsi%, and have been #1 at times. To me, that's pretty strong evidence that the team has bought in to what Gulutzan is preaching. It just doesn't work, no matter how well you do it.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kovaz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2018, 10:49 PM   #76
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Tuned into the Fan for a few minutes....”and the Flames are down 1-0, in spite of handily outshooting the opposition”.

Tuned back out with a sensible chuckle.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2018, 10:51 PM   #77
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovaz View Post
It's blatantly clear you stopped reading, because your post doesn't address Frank MetaMusil's argument at all.

Gulutzan preaches a "puck possession" style. He frequently brings up advanced stats like Corsi in his post game press conferences, so clearly the team looks at those internally. He believes that having strong Corsi% is a part of being successful. We're top-3 in the NHL in Corsi%, and have been #1 at times. To me, that's pretty strong evidence that the team has bought in to what Gulutzan is preaching. It just doesn't work, no matter how well you do it.
Management may have bought in but I don’t think the players have or they’ve lost it.

Someone made a great post earlier saying how the easily measured advanced stats like coral have a very weak correlation to actual winning. I think if GG believes that corsi = winning then he will not be long for professional hockey.

Also on the topic of stupid analytics... did you know they don’t count a tip as a high danger shot if the shot itself came from outside the home plate area? Seems dumb to me
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 10:58 PM   #78
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I wonder if it feels as dreary playing Gulutzan hockey as it does watching.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2018, 11:04 PM   #79
Housley4Prez
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
Took the opportunity to re-watch Grand Budapest Hotel on Netflix. Such a good film.

"Take your hands off my Lobby Boy!"
Criminally underrated movie, which made up for Wes Anderson's two prior films.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:04 PM   #80
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
I wonder if it feels as dreary playing Gulutzan hockey as it does watching.
Signs point to yes