Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-22-2018, 02:25 AM   #21
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
That couldn't be any more ironic considering your original post.

Again, with the calories burned in a practice and game, candy is going to be negligible.

I have a good friend who grew up with a mutli-cup winning current NHL defender and have spoken to him personally about the amount of calories they are force fed just to maintain weight. Some of them lose a staggering amount of weight after playing one game. He said they eat multiple meals a day even when they don't want to eat.

You're the one making some very short sighted assumptions here. There is an intensive and grueling scrutiny put on these athletes by the team. The suggestion Gaudreau is being held back because he eats candy and drinks soda is just silly.

Where's my assumptions? That a diet containing vegetables is more beneficial to pro athletes than a diet that doesn't? or is the assumption that Gaudreau doesn't eat vegetables? Because he actually admitted it in the interview:

It's not so much that he's having Candy and soda on the side, it's the fact that he's not incorporating vegetables in his diet, which is the whole point of my OP

If you still don't want to believe me and continue to make your own assumptions, try reading up Michael Phelps diet

http://www.businessinsider.com/micha...lympics-2016-8

Despite all the pancakes, energy drinks and all proteins and carbs he brags about eating, Phelps still has to incorporate vegetables in his diet
Old 02-22-2018, 02:33 AM   #22
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I clicked this thread expecting a funny story or video... but nope, it's a genuine discussion on if Gaudreau would be better if he had a healthier diet.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:33 AM   #23
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Where's my assumptions?
The part where you have any actual credible data on what his diet consists of aside from an out-dated fluff piece that's essentially comic relief.

Unless you can tell us exactly what he eats, how much, when etc... You're making a lot of assumptions about his diet and how it might affect his performance.

I really didn't think I'd have to explain that.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:45 AM   #24
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Click bait title......

I'm sure he eats veggies.

You order a pizza probably has veggies... you order a burger probably has veggies... you have spaghetti well the sauce is a veggie.

He probably just dosent go out of the way to eat a heap of them.
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 02:47 AM   #25
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
The part where you have any actual credible data on what his diet consists of aside from an out-dated fluff piece that's essentially comic relief.

Unless you can tell us exactly what he eats, how much, when etc... You're making a lot of assumptions about his diet and how it might affect his performance.

I really didn't think I'd have to explain that.
Oct 2017 isnt out-dated, the interview was during this season

"I don't eat vegetables" isnt exactly a punchline commonly heard. While I don't know what exactly he eats, a comment like that is more likely closer to the truth than a joke.

how about go back to your friend who's a friend of a friend who's a former Cup winning athlete if there's any vegetables in his high calorie diet?
I really dont need to explain the benefits of vegetables to you, do I?

Last edited by Pizza; 02-22-2018 at 02:50 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:02 AM   #26
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
"I don't eat vegetables" isnt exactly a punchline commonly heard. While I don't know what exactly he eats, a comment like that is more likely closer to the truth than a joke.

And there would be the assumptions you're making. Hope that clears it up as that seemed to be lost on you a few posts earlier.

An off the cuff comment like that definitely seems in jest.

Regardless, without anything remotely close to the actual data of what he actually eats... this conversation is completely futile.

The fact this isn't a joke and you're genuinely trying to spin it into controversy is outright bizarre.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:24 AM   #27
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
An off the cuff comment like that definitely seems in jest.
in jest? he looked down with a sense of guilt in his admission while Cabbie went on how brussel sprouts were amazing. "i know i know" Gaudreau responded. He's heard the diet lecture before and he knows he could do better on his diet

You must be the type of guy who screams "I NEED DATA" when Sureloss posts rumour threads
if you actually need data, you may as well stick your head in the sand. It's admissions like this and consensus from his teammates of his poor diet points closer to the truth
Old 02-22-2018, 03:46 AM   #28
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT77 View Post
Lol, this thread, as ridiculous as it sounds, does have some merit to it. I honestly do believe Gaudreau could be the best player in the world if he was to work to put on some size and strength. This would benefit him immensely considering his lack of height.

A player that comes to mind is Martin St. Louis. Just google image search "Martin St. Louis legs" and look at the size of those tree trunk legs. That's what made him such a beast for a shorter player. He was so strong on the puck and it was hard to knock him off of the puck due to his immense leg strength. This strength didn't seem slow down his speed either, it seemed like the more leg strength he had, the faster he was. He clearly worked year round in the gym, particularly in the off season, gaining size and strength. This can only be done if he focused on his diet as well, which he clearly did. Size and strength is not just about working out, it's also about your diet and the macro-nutrients as well as micro-nutrients you're getting.

Gaudreau on the other hand seems to be the exact same size as he was during his rookie year. He clearly doesn't train to put on size and strength, nor does he focus on diet. Just imagine if he was 15-20 lbs heavier and had Marty St. Louis like leg strength, he would be a #####ing animal out there and most likely the best player in the world, considering as good as he is right now.

St. Louis was listed as 5'8" 175-180lbs, Gaudreau is listed at 5'9" 157lbs.

There answer is right there in the numbers lol, numbers don't lie. I'm not bashing Gaudreau, he's a tremendous player, but I really do believe if he had the motivation to work his a** off to be the best, work during the off-seasons, put on some size and strength, and focus on his diet, he could very well be the best player in the world right now. But clearly, he lacks that focus.
Speaking of St louis' tree trunk legs, I can't get this image out of my head

If Gaudreau is able to accomplish what he's done now without the same focus and drive as St. Louis, I've no doubt he'd be one the all time greats if he had it
Old 02-22-2018, 04:32 AM   #29
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 02-22-2018 at 05:30 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:20 AM   #30
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
He’d surpass Gretzky’s records for sure if he ate some broccoli...

Maybe I should stop eating vegetables. Maybe I’d be an NHLer too who’s second in league scoring.
Think of how much better he’d be if he ate as much spinach as Popeye.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:43 AM   #31
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

This is the worst thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 06:58 AM   #32
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread is why we can’t have nice things.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:33 AM   #33
Radio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This should probably be in the "Trials and tribulations of Glen Gulutzan" thread as he's obviously not preparing his players properly by not making them eat their veg! Booooo Glen!

Last edited by Radio; 02-22-2018 at 07:35 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:35 AM   #34
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Obviously the mom trip was a planned attempt by management to get Gaudreau to eat his vegetables! Quick, somebody look into if he's been washing his hands after using the washroom, if he's getting enough sunlight and that he's only allowed 1 hour of screentime a day.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:42 AM   #35
Red_Baron
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Perhaps if he could have deployed a broccoli fart just before that slash by Eric Staal last year, he wouldn't have missed those games.

Now I have seen it all on Calgary puck, do we really need an attempted public shaming of one of our young stars on this board?
Especially over vegetables?
Old 02-22-2018, 09:10 AM   #36
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing wrong with this thread IMO. Johnny is an elite player? Could he be better? Who knows. But if he focused on nutrition and fitness, it wouldn't hurt

Crosby is a generational player but if he wasn't so dedicated to his craft, he probably wouldn't be as good as he is right now. He'd still be elite and one of the best players in the NHL, but I don't think he'd be the best.

I think if Johnny was more conditioned, would he have a couple more goals? Would those goals be in OT to win the game? Late in the third to tie one up? COuld be the difference between a point or two. Which could also mean playoffs or not.
The Following User Says Thank You to albertGQ For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 09:10 AM   #37
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Johnny likes grilled cheese sandwiches and that's that. Leave Johnny alone!!!?!
Old 02-22-2018, 09:14 AM   #38
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Even when everyone said Gulutzan was our problem, I knew all along skittles were really to blame.

SKITTLLLLLLEEEEESSSSS!!!!
Old 02-22-2018, 09:27 AM   #39
Matt Reeeeead
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Everybody's body is different. Johnny is currently one of the best players in the NHL pound for pound.... I dont think a lot of ability to improve beyond that.

I also don't think anyone is mistaking Johnny as a particularly mature guy. I think if most people went out for a beer with him they would have trouble relating with him and see him as an immature, entitled kid.

Point being, lets not try to over analyze every little quality of the players on this hockey team. They are mostly kids, and from completely different walks of life. If you look hard enough you will always find something you dont like.

I'm going to continue enjoying the 90 point season Johnny is putting up and not get lost in mundane, meaningless details.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:34 AM   #40
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

hard poops.
Closed Thread