Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-30-2020, 07:03 PM   #21
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Actually TSN already does most of the local broadcasts even the centre of the universe. I would not be surprised to see them pickup one of the few left and then Sportsnet pretty much would only have the Oilers other than national games.

Besides the Flames and Oilers,Sportsnet also does the Canucks, and the Leafs. TSN has the Canadians, Sens and Jets.
Old 08-30-2020, 07:09 PM   #22
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio View Post
Besides the Flames and Oilers,Sportsnet also does the Canucks, and the Leafs. TSN has the Canadians, Sens and Jets.
TSN and Snet split Leafs regional broadcasts
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2020, 07:11 PM   #23
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

TSN does the leafs as well. Have watched them often from here. Advertising it for this season right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio View Post
calgarygringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:14 PM   #24
Jaydee
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Can the NHL get 4k ffs
Jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:28 PM   #25
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope that the rumours are true that RSN isn't interested in renewing with the Flames opening up the door for TSN to move in.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:32 PM   #26
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
When we were getting the Ball/Hrudey combo every night it was pretty good. We had the best local broadcasters. It was always wired why for Oilers games they brought in the hacks.

I will miss Ball / Hrudey and Campbell as she really improved while doing our games.

Picture / Audio quality will be a welcome improvement.
Maybe Ball goes to TSN. They need a #1 guy now that CC has moved on. Ball would be awesome.
chummer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:35 PM   #27
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I wonder if there is any chance Shaw throws their hat in the ring to air the games on Global. It wasn't too long ago they were trying to launch a sports network of their own.
Old 08-30-2020, 07:35 PM   #28
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
Maybe Ball goes to TSN. They need a #1 guy now that CC has moved on. Ball would be awesome.
TSN was using Gord Miller as their #1 before Cuthbert left.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:21 PM   #29
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
Of course it's speculation, we're talking about the future, it is literally all speculation.
Sometimes 'speculation' is just a polite replacement for 'reach' or 'stretch'
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 08:34 PM   #30
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe they will actually find a use for the oilers and flames channels on shaw that never seem to ever have anything on them
Old 08-30-2020, 08:40 PM   #31
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
It blows my mind that Ball isn’t already a national voice for Sportsnet. He’s easily the best guy they have. I’m not even being biased, the Flames have been very lucky to have him and I hope they can keep him.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2020, 08:42 PM   #32
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Sometimes 'speculation' is just a polite replacement for 'reach' or 'stretch'
You're assuming Sportsnet will make the intelligent and obvious decision. Crown in assuming Sportsnet will make a bone-headed decision and screw up a Flames broadcast. It might not be Crown that is reaching!
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2020, 10:37 PM   #33
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
You're assuming Sportsnet will make the intelligent and obvious decision. Crown in assuming Sportsnet will make a bone-headed decision and screw up a Flames broadcast. It might not be Crown that is reaching!
I could be wrong, we could get Eric Francis all by himself, with no Ryan Leslie to tone down his stupidity.
Old 08-30-2020, 11:53 PM   #34
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Maybe they will actually find a use for the oilers and flames channels on shaw that never seem to ever have anything on them
That would be far too convenient to have a channel called Sportsnet Flames that actually had all the Flames games on it
Old 08-31-2020, 05:16 AM   #35
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
They're not supposed to have anything on them. Their only purpose is to be an overflow channel when both the Flames and Oilers are playing at the same time and both games are regional broadcasts (or if SN has other commitments to air something else on SNW -- usually the MLB playoffs/World Series).

If there are two simultaneous hockey games, typically, one will air on SNW and the other on the SN1 Flames/Oilers companion channel.

The companion channel is technically licensed as a sort of regional version of SN1. It is not a fully-licensed channel in its own right. That's why it hardly ever has anything on it.

The companion channel is rarely used now because SN has the national broadcast rights, so if there is a conflict between the Flames and Oilers, they can just put one of the games on SN1 or SN360 as a national game, while the other is a regional game on SNW.
Old 08-31-2020, 05:39 AM   #36
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
They're not supposed to have anything on them. Their only purpose is to be an overflow channel when both the Flames and Oilers are playing at the same time and both games are regional broadcasts (or if SN has other commitments to air something else on SNW -- usually the MLB playoffs/World Series).

If there are two simultaneous hockey games, typically, one will air on SNW and the other on the SN1 Flames/Oilers companion channel.

The companion channel is technically licensed as a sort of regional version of SN1. It is not a fully-licensed channel in its own right. That's why it hardly ever has anything on it.

The companion channel is rarely used now because SN has the national broadcast rights, so if there is a conflict between the Flames and Oilers, they can just put one of the games on SN1 or SN360 as a national game, while the other is a regional game on SNW.
I was going to say the same thing earlier but didn't know how to explain it properly. The way you explained it was perfect.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2020, 08:00 AM   #37
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
seems like a lot
Not when you consider our upcoming Cup run.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:53 PM   #38
Jimdon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

As a Flames fan that doesn't have cable or traditional TV and hated relying on illegal streams I was more than happy to pay for sportsnet now streaming service even though there was room for improvement. I just hope there will be streaming options for next year regardless of who has the rights.
Jimdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 10:37 PM   #39
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
It blows my mind that Ball isn’t already a national voice for Sportsnet. He’s easily the best guy they have. I’m not even being biased, the Flames have been very lucky to have him and I hope they can keep him.
There was an athletic article recently and they finished 25th in the NHL. One spot ahead of the oilers crew who we all know sucks. I don’t think Ball is viewed all that well outside of the local market.

That being said the national guys aren’t all that good either IMO. Everyone wants their guy though. Except Quinn. No one wants him.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 10:40 PM   #40
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
There was an athletic article recently and they finished 25th in the NHL. One spot ahead of the oilers crew who we all know sucks. I don’t think Ball is viewed all that well outside of the local market.

That being said the national guys aren’t all that good either IMO. Everyone wants their guy though. Except Quinn. No one wants him.
You gotta start from somewhere.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broadcast , sportsnet , t.v.