Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-28-2020, 04:04 PM   #3281
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have not noticed that. My car is pretty low and already a fairly bumpy ride but I haven't noticed it to be worse than the other legs.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:39 AM   #3282
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I stopped by the pedestrian bridge near Anderson Road on a bike ride to see how it looked in person. I noticed a letter attached to the fence asking for people to complain about it:

(Sorry about the angles, it was pretty windy)

From what I could tell on the pathway, about three houses have the wall blocking their view of the mountains, and a couple have to look under the bridge to see the mountains.

As for the comment in the letter that the bridge is "higher and larger than originally discussed so emergency vehicles can pass over" sounds like nonsense to me. The height difference for the larger bridge girders wouldn't be significant enough to be noticeable to any regular person. A pathway on a bridge is already about 4 meters wide which is more than enough to handle a vehicle's width, so I doubt they made it wider over the highway. They would only need to widen the corner near the houses for the turning radius of an ambulance (I can't see a fire truck is going up there).

I'm not sure what to make of the comments that make it sound like every change needs to be run by them but you can't please everyone. I have to guess that it's mostly a couple people pretending to speak for many others.

Here's a picture showing the entire bridge:
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 11:26 AM   #3283
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

The second picture really changes the perspective of the bridge vs. what was shown on the news, it looks much less imposing from that angle.

Two items of interest to me from that letter:
1. nobody 'owns' a view so how can it be 'stolen'? Yeah it sucks to lose yours but it's not the first time and it doesn't make these people special. How many home owners/condo owners lost their sweet view when a building went up next door or down the street? Happens all the time.

2. would be interested to see pictures of what was originally proposed vs the final design. Maybe this group could do that since they clearly remember ho much it has changed and surely someone took pictures at the open houses.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:37 AM   #3284
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
As for the comment in the letter that the bridge is "higher and larger than originally discussed so emergency vehicles can pass over" sounds like nonsense to me.
Yeah that makes absolutely zero sense.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:39 AM   #3285
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now that I know it's a pedestrian bridge, and from a different angle, it changes my viewpoint of it. Yah, it's not ideal, but you Woodbine guys knew what you were buying into. They were banking on Stoney never getting built there.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 12:01 PM   #3286
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Here is one from the other side. I’ll post another in a second since I can only add one per post in Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2020, 12:02 PM   #3287
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Old 06-01-2020, 12:02 PM   #3288
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2020, 12:06 PM   #3289
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Thanks for taking those! I completely forgot when I was out there. Once the scaffolding is off the corner, it's going to be easy to see under the bridge.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 12:14 PM   #3290
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would have just ripped the note down and thrown it in the trash.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 12:19 PM   #3291
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

NIMBYs gonna NIMBY.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 12:22 PM   #3292
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningYears View Post
What are they complaining about? Looks like they'll still have a view of the mountains to me.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:27 PM   #3293
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh, could be worse:

more pics

https://www.boredpanda.com/highway-b...idential-area/
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 12:35 PM   #3294
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
The second picture really changes the perspective of the bridge vs. what was shown on the news, it looks much less imposing from that angle.

Two items of interest to me from that letter:
1. nobody 'owns' a view so how can it be 'stolen'? Yeah it sucks to lose yours but it's not the first time and it doesn't make these people special. How many home owners/condo owners lost their sweet view when a building went up next door or down the street? Happens all the time.

2. would be interested to see pictures of what was originally proposed vs the final design. Maybe this group could do that since they clearly remember ho much it has changed and surely someone took pictures at the open houses.
You really want to piss someone off? Take away something they paid nothing for, yet value immensely.

That's what happened here. They had a nice view and knew it would be impacted by the project. They then believed they could live with those impacts the way that the project represented it in the renderings, open houses etc. It sounds like there was a design change from what was proposed that has them all hot and bothered.

The property value thing is a complete red herring.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:46 PM   #3295
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've still seen no evidence of the change or been able to pinpoint exactly what structure they thought was going to go there before. Probably because no definitive design could have been done until the contract was signed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 12:56 PM   #3296
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah I'm curious about that as well.

Quote:
the highway has been moved 50 metres closer to their home and 10 metres higher than what they expected
Are they just arbitrarily assigning 50 metres as a measurement for something they saw from a mock up or what are they basing their "expectations" on.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 01:34 PM   #3297
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wonder what the purpose of that letter is.....to make sure their voices get heard? Nothing will change, it's already complete for the initial stages, and for the legal part I don't think they'd have any case as someone mentioned above you can't own a view, so just not sure what the point of it is.
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:29 PM   #3298
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
Are they just arbitrarily assigning 50 metres as a measurement for something they saw from a mock up or what are they basing their "expectations" on.
They are correct in the highway being closer than the very first set of plans. The Anderson Rd interchange has changed from what were the somewhat long-standing conceptual plans: a new EB-NB loop ramp has been added which pushes the NB-EB ramp from Stoney to Anderson outward and closer to Woodbine. Quantifying this distance at 50 metres is arbitrary but the plan did change, presumably because modelling showed higher utilization of the EB-NB movement because of that Costco or something.

2009 plan here
Current plan/build here
Old 06-01-2020, 03:25 PM   #3299
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

LOL, nowhere near the same, but I've always wondered about this building beside Crowchild. Which came first - the building or the road? Anybody here ever been in one of those apartments?

https://goo.gl/maps/Xah1cjHgMt56wtzh9
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 03:30 PM   #3300
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Meh, could be worse:
MOVE YOUR GOL'DERN HOUSE, SON!
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote