Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2019, 04:06 PM   #1101
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
Jets and Flames are handcuffed by their big RFAs. Can’t do anything while the offer sheet vultures are circling
I would be so much more content with this situation if we didn't have a complete anchor of a contract in Neal. Doesn't seem like we are going to have much cap space to do anything next year either.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2019, 04:07 PM   #1102
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
He said overvalued and he was talking about within the organization. He’s really high on Valimaki and Andersson and he believes they can take over for the veteran defenseman. He never said they were overrated, rather the Flames are underestimating their younger guys.
He's not wrong if this is the case. This is the kind of thinking that led them to pay a 3rd and 5th for stone and then re-sign him to that horrible contract, and to waste a 4th rounder on Fantenberg. If they don't learn and it is the kind of thinking that leads to them missing out on upgrades at forward...
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 04:11 PM   #1103
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

David Pagnotta @TheFourthPeriod
With right-Dmen Tyler Myers & Anton Stralman off the board, we could see trade talk pick up for Calgary's TJ Brodie, who remains available. Teams might also circle back on Carolina's Justin Faulk & Colorado's Tyson Barrie, among others.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2019, 04:17 PM   #1104
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I'm wondering why? He said a lot of good things about the Flames. Or is this just in general?
He did? He just listed Calgary as the biggest free agency losers.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 04:22 PM   #1105
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
He did? He just listed Calgary as the biggest free agency losers.
Best compliment you can get..."winning" free agency much like winning TD in the eyes of those responsible for filling 8+ hours and 3+ months of off season coverage is not the same as building a winning team. Show me how many of them declared St Louis or Boston or Carolina as the TD winners?!?

Let me guess...Toronto won last years free agency? This year they have barely an AHL defense with a first round exit as the only thing to show for it...
Old 07-01-2019, 04:23 PM   #1106
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

saying St. Louis wasn't a UFA winner last year is a bad argument... almost everyone thought they cleaned up after signing Perron, Bozak, Maroon, and Chad Johnson

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 04:24 PM   #1107
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
saying St. Louis wasn't a UFA winner last year is a bad argument... almost everyone thought they cleaned up after signing Perron, Bozak, Maroon, and Chad Johnson
I said TD winner...not free agency. St Louis had a massive free agency...not because of the signings...but because of the ROR trade.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:25 PM   #1108
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Am I the only one who thinks Ray Ferraro is a dumbass? I can’t stand that guy.
I love him, he used to rip into the Oilers when he did color for their broadcasts.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:25 PM   #1109
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
Best compliment you can get..."winning" free agency much like winning TD in the eyes of those responsible for filling 8+ hours and 3+ months of off season coverage is not the same as building a winning team. Show me how many of them declared St Louis or Boston or Carolina as the TD winners?!?

Let me guess...Toronto won last years free agency? This year they have barely an AHL defense with a first round exit as the only thing to show for it...
You’re right about that but I was curious how extremely he went from positive things to say about the Flames to saying we needed to address center depth and our goaltending situation is suspect with only Talbot and Rittich.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:26 PM   #1110
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Like Dallas this year.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 04:28 PM   #1111
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
I said TD winner...not free agency. St Louis had a massive free agency...not because of the signings...but because of the ROR trade.
Oh I see. I mean they had a massive free agency because of both factors. Perron, Maroon, and Bozak were critical assets to which they committed huge money in signing season last year.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 04:34 PM   #1112
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
You’re right about that but I was curious how extremely he went from positive things to say about the Flames to saying we needed to address center depth and our goaltending situation is suspect with only Talbot and Rittich.
He is right about center depth..but for interest sakes...I just took a journey around the Pacific. There isn't a top 2 that I think is better than our top 2 (Monahan/Backlund)... that disregards Lindholm as a center and the fact that our center depth including Ryan and Janko for the time being is quite a bit more than the others have. I would love a top 6 for this team. Any position and adjust Monahan, Lindholm and Backlund accordingly.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:34 PM   #1113
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
David Pagnotta @TheFourthPeriod
With right-Dmen Tyler Myers & Anton Stralman off the board, we could see trade talk pick up for Calgary's TJ Brodie, who remains available. Teams might also circle back on Carolina's Justin Faulk & Colorado's Tyson Barrie, among others.
Calgary will be able to trade Brodie and/or Stone now with a lot of the RD options gone.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 04:40 PM   #1114
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He is right about center depth..but for interest sakes...I just took a journey around the Pacific. There isn't a top 2 that I think is better than our top 2 (Monahan/Backlund)... that disregards Lindholm as a center and the fact that our center depth including Ryan and Janko for the time being is quite a bit more than the others have. I would love a top 6 for this team. Any position and adjust Monahan, Lindholm and Backlund accordingly.
Center depth is not something that needs to be addressed today or even through free agency though. IMO our wing depth is more critical.
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2019, 05:01 PM   #1115
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ray Ferraro said that the Calgary Flames have so far failed to fill a big hole at the 2nd line center position with an offensive creator to provide offence behind their big line. (Hopefully, they will still be able to get this done after today.)

He also said that the Flames are putting all of their faith in Cam Talbot, who is a long way away from his last good season, David Rittich is the other guy, and that goaltending is not a position of strength right now for Calgary. (Let's hope that BSD takes a big step forward.)

I agree with what he says though.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:03 PM   #1116
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, whats next? Kadri is gone.

Anyone else the Flames can go after for second line depth?

Or are we really planning on going with a logjam on defense? Not good planning at all.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:04 PM   #1117
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sigh, well looks like the most likely destination for Brodie is off the table as the Leafs add Barrie.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:06 PM   #1118
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post

Trade wise? Maybe. Not sure how things plan out.

All I got off the top of my head at the moment is Turris. But they dont need Brodie.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:07 PM   #1119
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post

Or are we really planning on going with a logjam on defense? Not good planning at all.
Really hoping we can made the room to add someone like Williams, Dzingel or Ferland at least. Need an upgrade in the middle 6 forward group

Last edited by btimbit; 07-01-2019 at 05:12 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:08 PM   #1120
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

At this point we are better off at having Lindholm start taking the FO draws as the 2C and then find a winger at a cheap price. Not very many center options right now.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote