Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 11-05-2019, 12:38 PM   #1001
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I like that they're using a discount cruise line but its still $16k. What is this? 'Lionel Hutz Cruise Lines?'

Who is the Tour Guide? Troy McClure? Captain Ol' Gil?
You realize it's a cruise to *Antarctica* right?
That's a pretty normal price for an Antarctic cruise, it's pretty much a license to print money. I got mine for $5k (USD) but that was a last minute ticket a week before it left and you had to be in Ushuaia to book it.

But yeah, that's a pretty spoiled kid!
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:41 PM   #1002
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw West Van and closed the article.
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 12:42 PM   #1003
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Typically people who don't have other people to buy gifts for, or are not expecting gifts from other people.
I think it’s people who go shopping for others find something they like and use christmas as an excuse to buy it to short circuit their guilt over not following a budget.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:50 PM   #1004
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Speaking of poor spending decisions...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...347722?cmp=rss

$16k for a 13 year old???? WTF is going on? Why are schools spending money on this? You know where we went on our school trip? Crowsnest ####ing Pass. A cruise. Come on.
$16k eh? So the same as their tuition costs for the year.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:51 PM   #1005
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
You realize it's a cruise to *Antarctica* right?
That's a pretty normal price for an Antarctic cruise, it's pretty much a license to print money. I got mine for $5k (USD) but that was a last minute ticket a week before it left and you had to be in Ushuaia to book it.

But yeah, that's a pretty spoiled kid!
Were you planning to buy a last minute cruise ticket? Ushuaia is a bit off the beaten path for a regular winter vacation... I'm curious how regularly this can be done.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:52 PM   #1006
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Were you planning to buy a last minute cruise ticket? Ushuaia is a bit off the beaten path for a regular winter vacation... I'm curious how regularly this can be done.
I know I've found myself there accidentally a few times.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:59 PM   #1007
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Yeah, we had heard it was possible and were hoping to get one. We were hiking in Patagonia beforehand and went to Ushuaia from there.

Here's a write up we did on how last minute cruises work and the best ways to score one if you're interested:
https://www.zentravellers.com/last-m...rctica-cruise/

Funny story about Ushuaia, they were given beavers by Canada in the 1940s to start their own fur trade. Of course, beavers don't have any natural predators in Argentina so they've taken over Tierra del Fuego and it's a real problem. Their was apparently talk of introducing bears to deal with the beavers but thankfully that didn't go anywhere. Would have caused more problems, for obvious reasons.

Anyways.....Antarctica is incredible! But don't drown in debt for it.

Last edited by Torture; 11-05-2019 at 01:04 PM.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 01:18 PM   #1008
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I was in Ushuaia in March 1994 - I considered taking a job as a bartender on a Russian boat to Antarctica. I missed out on that, and that was pretty much the end of the season for other trips. It was starting to snow in Ushuaia.

The beavers were a problem back then too. Trout were also introduced to Patagonia, and are thriving there as well. I caught brown trout and brook trout.

I did a more affordable "cruise" from Pto Montt to Pto Natles - half the people got really sick when the ship ventured into the big swells in the open Pacific.

Last edited by troutman; 11-05-2019 at 01:20 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 01:21 PM   #1009
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Maybe this is an aside, but it raises an interesting point. There is an historicism which deals with this a little. It used to be ( probably over a 100 years ago now) parents would tell their children what to expect from the world, and they would more or less be correct. Their children would be living in a world that was very similar to their parents. This is no longer the case. Things change so rapidly that a parent can hardly tell their child what their life will be like.

Baby Boomers have a lot of life experience and knowledge. The issue is that this knowledge is about a world that no longer exists. Millennials to a degree were raised in a world of unknowns. The generations after are even more out of touch with the world that boomers know having not experienced a little of it in their youth. The generational gap has never been larger.
That's so true.

I guess it begs the question, "What would I tell my kids today about trying to prosper in the future, considering the present situation?

As an old guy, I think I would say things like:

1. You should expect change and act accordingly. e.g. The economy is always going in cycles.

2. Find out what you like doing, do it to the best of your ability, and create a market for your own talents.

3. Keep your finances manageable.

4. Competition is normal, in spite of what you may have thought in school.

5. Don't spend too much time trying to change the world.

6. Be aware of all the forces acting on you to spend money.

7. The world is not just.

8. Don't subscribe to the idea that the person who dies with the most toys is the winner.

9. There are only a small percentage of self-initiating people in society. If you see something that needs doing, don't wait for someone to tell you to do it.

10. Etc. etc. etc.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:23 PM   #1010
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

1) Life isn't fair.

That's about it.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 02:01 PM   #1011
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Yeah, we had heard it was possible and were hoping to get one. We were hiking in Patagonia beforehand and went to Ushuaia from there.

Here's a write up we did on how last minute cruises work and the best ways to score one if you're interested:
https://www.zentravellers.com/last-m...rctica-cruise/

Funny story about Ushuaia, they were given beavers by Canada in the 1940s to start their own fur trade. Of course, beavers don't have any natural predators in Argentina so they've taken over Tierra del Fuego and it's a real problem. Their was apparently talk of introducing bears to deal with the beavers but thankfully that didn't go anywhere. Would have caused more problems, for obvious reasons.

Anyways.....Antarctica is incredible! But don't drown in debt for it.
Man - I wish I would have known that pre-kids - I absolutely would have done this. We really considered it one year but ended up opting out due to cost, and went to Thailand instead.

Also - your blog is awesome. You owe me hours of my life back.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 04:17 PM   #1012
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Yeah, tons. Read through my posts. I'm not dissing Calgary. I'm from there and I love that it will always be home. I'm just saying that people need to see this issue from a larger perspective that isn't "well, there are 200 homes in Whitehorn for under $400k, what are you complaining about?"
Sir...

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
You don't need a house for either. Well, in Calgary, you do, but Calgary kinda sucks, let's be honest.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 05:32 PM   #1013
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

peter12 has become the new Jordan.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 05:36 PM   #1014
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
peter12 has become the new Jordan.
I hope Peter12 doesn't go down that road. It's always annoying when CP posters from Calgary move and then turn around and constantly make little passive aggressive quips about the city.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 05:41 PM   #1015
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I think essential items got more expensive, but a lot of luxury items got cheaper, and hence why people now have way more luxury items or engage in a lot of luxury spending. Traveling, electronics, and other toys were way more expensive back in the day. Now with globalization making a lot of items cheaper to produce, I feel like consumption has gone way up.

That and nowadays, parents have a ton of options to stimulate their kids. I feel like kids these days are up to their eyeballs in enrolled extracurricular activities. That's gotta cost a lot. Not saying right or wrong, just saying I never had close to that much stuff growing up. Summers and weekends, my brother and I were pretty much left to our own devices. Not sure if that was normal for other kids back then though, that's just my anecdotal experience.
Technology has advanced. People have lots of screens to stare at everywhere; that is true. Quite frankly those things are much cheaper relative to housing and food right now. My parent's first computer (which wasn't even a pentium) was almost $3000. Now you can buy a smartphone that has 1000 times more function for $300. Electronics being more common doesn't necessarily speak to the economic situation.

Enrollment in many extra-curricular activities is actually way down though. People also have way fewer kids. Essentially everything is becoming more and more compromised. Smaller houses, smaller families, less sports, etc.. 30 years ago family of 6+, with each child in soccer and hockey weren't totally uncommon. That's definitely not the case now.

There are definitely some Instagram types who are using their kids for photo shoots and putting them in all sorts of weird activities. This likely has more to do with the massive growing divide between people who's parents give them loads of money and those that are stuck working for it.

Both Boomers and Millennials are carrying huge amounts debt to live their current lifestyles. Boomers state that the number one reason for their debt is supporting their children. This just adds to the growing inequality.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 05:51 PM   #1016
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I hope Peter12 doesn't go down that road. It's always annoying when CP posters from Calgary move and then turn around and constantly make little passive aggressive quips about the city.
I love Calgary's culture. I hate the way the city was built. Not a controversial opinion. People's response to this says more about them than me.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 06:24 PM   #1017
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Meh, at the same time, the constant defensiveness from people who live in the city whenever the flaws of the city are pointed out (especially those that aren't particularly controversial) is tiresome, too.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 06:42 PM   #1018
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:52 PM   #1019
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Millennials earn 20% less than baby boomers did—despite being better educated
Quote:
The generational wealth gap has reached “historic proportions,” Cramer says. The average millennial’s wealth in 2016 (ages 23 to 38) was 41% less than those who were at a similar age in 1989, the report says.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/05/mill...-educated.html
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:52 PM   #1020
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
The irony of using that image in the meme.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote