Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2018, 11:24 AM   #61
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Its interesting because I've heard this before and while its not entirely incorrect it might have a lot more to do with demographics, especially depending on where you are.

Calgary has a lot more Professional and Educated women
whose standards are a lot higher ad some might conceive of this as 'snobby' or 'standoffish.'

These are the type of women who probably wouldn't appreciate being hit on in a bar.
I agree partially in that demographics may be different, but I don't think there is much of a difference in education or Professionals between the two cities but it may depend on how you look at that. The blue collar/white collar breakdown in the two cities is virtually identical and i would expect that to be similar for females and males. The difference lies in what type of white collar work. Calgary is heavily tilted towards the energy industry and private enterprise, Edmonton moreso to civil servants. But they are both white collar jobs.

Maybe you mean something different and I'm misunderstanding.
And having lived in both cities I would also agree, Edmonton seems friendlier at the social level.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:40 AM   #62
wookster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This is more of a summer time thing but get yourself a cute little dog, or better yet a baby. If you don't have either just borrow one. (Dont forget to ask first, otherwise its just bad) and go take a walk in one of the busier parks like Princess Island. Cute dogs and baby's are magnets for girls to come to you. Once you have them there, then its up to you to carry the conversation (because the babies and/or dogs wont do that part for you) and see if there is a connection there. Great way to meet people, and get out and enjoy the outdoors...win win.
wookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:45 AM   #63
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookster View Post
This is more of a summer time thing but get yourself a cute little dog, or better yet a baby. If you don't have either just borrow one. (Dont forget to ask first, otherwise its just bad) and go take a walk in one of the busier parks like Princess Island. Cute dogs and baby's are magnets for girls to come to you. Once you have them there, then its up to you to carry the conversation (because the babies and/or dogs wont do that part for you) and see if there is a connection there. Great way to meet people, and get out and enjoy the outdoors...win win.
If you dont ask first you might score a date with a less than friendly female cop during the Amber Alert bust!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 11:52 AM   #64
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't understand the logic behind women drooling over guys with babies. Those guys presumably are married and women like to play the homewrecker role?
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:56 AM   #65
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
I don't understand the logic behind women drooling over guys with babies. Those guys presumably are married and women like to play the homewrecker role?
It's quite simple: it's a display of potential fatherhood qualities. Men with babies demonstrate that they are capable of caring for children in at least an adequate manner, which makes them a suitable mate for most women. Plus, it triggers biological clock urge to mate instincts. At the very least, it indicates the guy isn't likely to be a psychopath or dangerous individual, which breaks a lot of barriers to interest that most women have towards strange men.

Plenty of reasons as to why it works, and I'm just scratching the surface.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 12:06 PM   #66
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

It also (usually) works better if it is your nephew, niece, etc. (Or single dad!)

While most women may chat with a married guy with a baby, more then a few will be less then impressed if they ask them out
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:11 PM   #67
wookster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Very true, I was going with the assumption that the OP was indeed not married...lol.
wookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:11 PM   #68
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
It also (usually) works better if it is your nephew, niece, etc. (Or single dad!)

While most women may chat with a married guy with a baby, more then a few will be less then impressed if they ask them out
"Hey baby, can you hold this for me for a second?"

- Is this your wedding ring?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 12:13 PM   #69
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookster View Post
Very true, I was going with the assumption that the OP was indeed not married...lol.
It would be hilarious if he was though.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:18 PM   #70
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's not that they want the married guy, but they want those qualities in someone else and since they think of them as essentially neutered, they're much more inclined to drop their guards and try to learn more about them.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:27 PM   #71
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Coconut Joe's or Three Cheers. Those places were the best for mingling with the opposite sex. I would totally go there again if single.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 02:58 PM   #72
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Barrage your speech therapist with lame-ass joke after lame-ass joke until she stops barely containing that whole rolling of the eyes thing and starts to actually laugh. It' s okay if your jokes arent that clever or deep, she'll understand because you had a head injury

Make sure you maintain your "star student" status by actually doing the homework she gives you. This may sound lame, but it means she looks forward to seeing you EVERY OTHER ####### DAY

Avoid terms like "transference" and "ethics" as to not remind her of those things and ruin everything

That's all i got so far, but i feel things are on the right track
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 08:26 PM   #73
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Unless it's a gala, suits at parties are off-putting. Makes me think of a bunch of stockbroker bros showed up uninvited.
Hey I think it's as ######y as the next guy, and maybe it's the shots talking, but I happened to be wearing a suit since it was the afterparty and from what I remember I had a similar experience to Matata.

Just think of it like a woman in a dress. Just draws your eye enough.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.

Last edited by TheSutterDynasty; 12-11-2018 at 08:40 PM.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:25 AM   #74
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mixed choirs. Always more women than men, and being in a choir tends to involve a whole lot more socializing out of practice than many other hobbies.

Plus, you'll be a better singer over time and that's always fun and something that gets positive attention.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:13 AM   #75
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Mixed choirs. Always more women than men, and being in a choir tends to involve a whole lot more socializing out of practice than many other hobbies.

Plus, you'll be a better singer over time and that's always fun and something that gets positive attention.
here's a good local one, no audition required

Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:53 PM   #76
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Using Edmonton as the comparison misses the mark. Dating is like options trading, you need volatility. Need a place independent thinkers are cutting ties and moving to. Living in Edmonton because its affordable screams my family lives here and I'm still dating my college partner.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:27 PM   #77
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I always had good luck in edmonton for some reason. Girls always seemed to be a lot more open to conversation.

As a former mid 20 year old who was single and had VERY questionable morals, I would suggest you go to a well known cougar bar. Kings Head, Rose and Crown, The Eldorado (Kelowna) all come to mind. I'm sure there are more.

I was also playing rugby for a club that had a womens team, and that was always good fun. Again, you must be willing to trade looks for a morally casual attitude (or so the t-shirt told me).
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:29 PM   #78
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
As a former mid 20 year old who was single and had VERY questionable morals, I would suggest you go to a well known cougar bar. Kings Head, Rose and Crown, The Eldorado (Kelowna) all come to mind. I'm sure there are more.

The Trop.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2018, 03:06 PM   #79
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

metal or country bars, lots of lonely women.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:29 PM   #80
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
The Trop.
icana?