Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2018, 06:14 AM   #101
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
It's not really a fools game overall. There will always be outliers, and Vegas was even more than a typical outlier as they had loosened expansion rules.
I disagree. Besides Vegas you had the Jets way overachieve what anyone predicted. Everyone was picking Dallas to win their division and they missed the playoffs. Nobody saw the collapse of the Rangers coming. Despite what is obvious to us on here most experts had the Oilers winning the Pacific. The teams are so close now that really anything can happen.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2018, 07:44 AM   #102
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Regarding 'coaching for stats', I don't think any coach - at least any coach that achieves the NHL level - is ever going to overtly do that.

However, what I think can happen, is a team gets too focused on some things and as a result, other parts of their game lapse or fall into a rut. Because the Flames were focused on playing the way Gulutzan wanted, and because their possession stats looked okay, the coaching staff assumed things were on track and they were just experiencing bad luck. And that was a failure on their part. No one in the organization recognized the lack of Royal Road activity and thus no adjustments were made, and thus the frustration simply mounted.

As for missing the net, I think that is a confidence thing. When it's going well, you just let it happen, and it keeps going well. When it isn't going well, you tend to shoot for the corners more - you tend to aim - and things just go downhill. The harder you try, the worse it gets. But every season is a new season.

It will be interesting to see if the same problems and frustrations continue, or if they get off to a good start offensively.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2018, 08:16 AM   #103
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Regarding 'coaching for stats', I don't think any coach - at least any coach that achieves the NHL level - is ever going to overtly do that.

However, what I think can happen, is a team gets too focused on some things and as a result, other parts of their game lapse or fall into a rut. Because the Flames were focused on playing the way Gulutzan wanted, and because their possession stats looked okay, the coaching staff assumed things were on track and they were just experiencing bad luck. And that was a failure on their part. No one in the organization recognized the lack of Royal Road activity and thus no adjustments were made, and thus the frustration simply mounted.

As for missing the net, I think that is a confidence thing. When it's going well, you just let it happen, and it keeps going well. When it isn't going well, you tend to shoot for the corners more - you tend to aim - and things just go downhill. The harder you try, the worse it gets. But every season is a new season.

It will be interesting to see if the same problems and frustrations continue, or if they get off to a good start offensively.
I think that's pretty much it.

He had a 50/50 game view, where if you're not losing then you'll eventually win. Don't get outplayed and good things will happen.

Thing is ... he's probably right more often than not. But the team through bad luck or lack of confidence ended up having a season for the ages when it comes to missing the net and that largely undid him.

However given the changes I think the cross seam stuff must have been just as much personnel as coaching.

The good news is they changed both, so we may never no the answer, but at least it's being attacked on two fronts.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:53 AM   #104
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourque's Twin View Post
I think the Hamilton trade will turn out to be a bigger win than most think.

I think Brodie at his best is better than Hamilton at his best. If Brodano can reunite, the Flames already win. I also think if Hamonic and Hanifin can pair well, then the Flames not only add the good Brodie, but they also get the Hamonic they traded for PLUS a 21 year old stud, who’s an incredible skater and is only getting better at all facets of the game. He seems like a way smarter player than Hamilton. That’s an amazing top 4.

Not only that, the Flames get a consistent, highly skilled forward in Lindholm. I’m a big Ferland fan, but his upside and consistency are much lower than Lindholm’s.

Subtract the dead weight of Stajan, Versteeg, and Jagr. Make Lazar, Brouwer and Hathaway fight for spots. Add great depth forwards like Ryan and Czarnik.

Give Bennett a new coach to work with, another year for Jankowski under his belt, and the best of all, a true 20-30 goal sniper to play alongside Gaudreau and Monahan to create a top line comprised only of legitimate top line players.

I may be overly optimistic, but I think this Flames team looks a lot better.
A couple of Leafs fans in Toronto I work with - yes the team that just signed Tavares - were RAVING to me about the offseason the Flames have had. Said they felt that it's a Stanley Cup forward group now to go along with a top 10 blueline, and because of that better than the Leafs. Only question for them was goaltending and did I think that would hold up.

When Peters was first brought in his emphasis was avoiding the slow start, that the team needed to come out of the gates strong. If they can do that, hopefully that lightens the load somewhat on Smith and can keep him in the 55-60 games range so he's fresh down the stretch.

IMO a healthy Smith and no question our goaltending is good enough. The question is can the team (and backup) play good enough to give the coach the confidence of rotating Gillies/Rittich in more frequently to get Smith the rest he'll need.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to howard_the_duck For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2018, 02:04 PM   #105
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

<Bump.>

Photo taken from NHL Instagram. Flames make playoffs according to NHL.com off-season analysis and predictions too!

drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drewtastic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2018, 02:07 PM   #106
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtastic View Post
<Bump.>

Photo taken from NHL Instagram. Flames make playoffs according to NHL.com off-season analysis and predictions too!

That's the power rankings...
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2018, 02:08 PM   #107
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

This can't be right as there are 9 western teams on the list
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 02:14 PM   #108
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

How are there power rankings in the off-season? Surprised the oilers arent top 5 for Connor's hole in one.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2018, 02:38 PM   #109
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post

My bad.

Still-top 16, no oilers in sight. I’m calling it a win!
drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drewtastic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2018, 02:43 PM   #110
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Updated the thread title to allow other predictions from other outlets.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2018, 02:45 PM   #111
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Yea that exact same record and 84 points didn't get us in last year, lol
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlamesFanTrev For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2018, 05:31 PM   #112
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanTrev View Post
Yea that exact same record and 84 points didn't get us in last year, lol
Because those are last year’s records, not the coming year’s predictions.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2018, 09:21 PM   #113
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 11:10 AM   #114
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find it interesting that there is no concern about the Flames missing their future Norris Trophy winner and league leading scoring d-man - Hamilton.

A lot of analysis of the 2017-18 Flames team underperforming was based on the "fact" that Hamilton was a top-10 in the league D-man and Hamilton-Gio was a top pairing defense in the league. With this assumption and a good/ near great #1 line and Smith playing like a top 10 goalie the Flames should have won a lot more games.

Yet after moving Hamilton it appears that there is universal consensus that the roster has significantly improved.

If Hamilton was a top 10 d-man and a likely Norris candidate then the roster would actually be down graded. Take Pronger out of Edmonton, Doughty out of LA, Hedman out of Tampa, Burns out of SJ, Keith out of the Hawks, Suter out of Min and they would extremely hard pressed not to be considered down graded.

I guess that a bulk of posters agree that Hamilton was not as important as he was said to be when he was a Flame.

This team's biggest risks are:

1) goalie what is Smith's norm and are Rittich/Gillies able to win 17 games in 30 starts.
2) Backlund/Frolik over 30 , was last season "unlucky" or was it a sign of decline
3) Does Gio ever slow down?
4) Hamilton actually was their best d-man
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 11:17 AM   #115
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

If Dougie Hamilton ever wins the Norris trophy, I'm buying a Ruslan Zainullin jersey.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 11:26 AM   #116
Hells Bells
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
If Dougie Hamilton ever wins the Norris trophy, I'm buying a Ruslan Zainullin jersey.
If Hamilton ever wins a Norris, it would be a record breaking season for injuries to star defencemen.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:29 AM   #117
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
I find it interesting that there is no concern about the Flames missing their future Norris Trophy winner and league leading scoring d-man - Hamilton.

A lot of analysis of the 2017-18 Flames team underperforming was based on the "fact" that Hamilton was a top-10 in the league D-man and Hamilton-Gio was a top pairing defense in the league. With this assumption and a good/ near great #1 line and Smith playing like a top 10 goalie the Flames should have won a lot more games.

Yet after moving Hamilton it appears that there is universal consensus that the roster has significantly improved.

If Hamilton was a top 10 d-man and a likely Norris candidate then the roster would actually be down graded. Take Pronger out of Edmonton, Doughty out of LA, Hedman out of Tampa, Burns out of SJ, Keith out of the Hawks, Suter out of Min and they would extremely hard pressed not to be considered down graded.

I guess that a bulk of posters agree that Hamilton was not as important as he was said to be when he was a Flame.

1) goalie what is Smith's norm and are Rittich/Gillies able to win 17 games in 30 starts.
2) Backlund/Frolik over 30 , was last season "unlucky" or was it a sign of decline
Nice try. First of all, Pronger, Doughty and Burns are the best players on their teams and Hedman isn't far off. Hamilton may well be a future star, but he wasn't even Calgary's best defenceman when he was traded.

Second, tell me, after taking out Pronger, Doughty, Hedman, Burns, Keith or Suter, did any of those teams have a top four like Gio, Hamonic, Hanifin and Brody left? On LA you have Muzzin - he's a top end defenceman but then nothing comparable. Tampa you have Sergachev left - a second year player. SJ you get Vlasic and Braun and that's it. I bet that, without looking, you couldn't even name an Edmonton defenceman left after Pronger went south. Keith (and his 32 points) goes and you get the overrated Seabrook.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 11:31 AM   #118
Hells Bells
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post

The Canes better hurry up and sign Freddie Hamilton if they expect Dougie to play at a level much higher than he ever has.
The guy just isn't Norris calibre, at least until he drastically improves defensively.

The fact you can even imply he may be better than Gio just proves your lack of knowledge. Gio carried that pairing, which is clear to anyone without a twisted agenda.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:17 PM   #119
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
The Canes better hurry up and sign Freddie Hamilton if they expect Dougie to play at a level much higher than he ever has.
The guy just isn't Norris calibre, at least until he drastically improves defensively.

The fact you can even imply he may be better than Gio just proves your lack of knowledge. Gio carried that pairing, which is clear to anyone without a twisted agenda.
Well, this is definitely not what ricardodw is implying. His post is another typical, passive aggressive swipe at the Flames and their fan base which is intended to do the following two things:

1) promote his well worn and tiresome obsession with Dougie Hamilton, and to back-handedly congratulate himself for "being right" all along to assert that Hamilton is a terrible NHL defenseman.

2) disparage CP for a presumed collective bias in evaluating the Hamilton trade.

This is pretty standard fare fo him, and it is often best to ignore these types of obviously veiled assaults.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 07-27-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 01:06 PM   #120
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Well, this is definitely not what ricardodw is implying. His post is another typical, passive aggressive swipe at the Flames and their fan based which is intended to do the following two things:

1) promote his well worn and tiresome obsession with Dougie Hamilton, and to back-handedly congratulate himself for "being right" all along to assert that Hamilton is a terrible NHL defenseman.

2) disparage CP for a presumed collective bias in evaluating the Hamilton trade.

This is pretty standard fare fo him, and it is often best to ignore these types of obviously veiled assaults.
On point 2) CP pretty much approved of the Hamilton trade. There was a vocal minority that thought Hamilton was too great to be traded.

Do you personally have higher or lower exceptions for this Hamilton-less edition of the Flames?
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote