Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-18-2018, 05:02 PM   #81
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
But it wouldnt be futures. I think if Tre wants that deal. He waits until the MTL pick and then pulls the trigger to pair up the brothers.
Tkachuk IS futures because he doesn't help as much now as Hamilton would. He might not even make the NHL next year. That's why he is considered futures.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2018, 05:02 PM   #82
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Hamilton for the #3 doesn't really make much sense to me. And I'd love to land another Tkachuk. Just don't see how that improves the team.

Now if the price were Brodie, Ferland and a pick? Maybe
I think Dougie has even more to give this year. But there is no way Brodie and Ferland gets you Tkachuk. The Canucks gave up Schneider to land Horvat. As far as I can remember, if you want a top 5 pick, the player needs to be a top end player to get it done.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:05 PM   #83
squirtle
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Wonder how Dougie would feel watching his bro shipped off and then they go and get Brady.
He'd understand considering freddie is not a potential 3rd overall pick
The Following User Says Thank You to squirtle For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2018, 05:07 PM   #84
Barca
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I like Wahlstrom pretty much more than anyone else not named Svechnikov.

If there was some sort of miracle that could happen for the Flames to land Wahlstrom, please allow this to happen. Oh Hockey Gods, I pray to thee.

I honestly see ton of Jeremy Roenick in Wahlstrom. But faster.
I agree, it's a tie between him and Zadina as the best forward in the draft for me (aside from Svech lol). both are pure goal scorers any team will be extremely lucky to land.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:08 PM   #85
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Think the Flames would want more than just the 3rd overall for Dougie. Personally I’d want 3 and Gallagher to do it.

At 3 the Flames could want Zadina over Tkachuk anyways. We have a Tkachuk but could use an elite sniper type.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:09 PM   #86
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Think the Flames would want more than just the 3rd overall for Dougie. Personally I’d want 3 and Gallagher to do it.

At 3 the Flames could want Zadina over Tkachuk anyways. We have a Tkachuk but could use an elite sniper type.
Wahlstrom, we don't need to go as high as #3. ARZ, OTT, DET.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:10 PM   #87
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

So jumping on the Dougie for 3rd *out of left field* idea:

Dougie for 3rd OA + A level prospect IMO minimum

Then we flip the 3rd OA for the 7th-9th OA to get Wahlstrom and then dropping 4+ spots has to get you a solid add from a team looking to say get 3rd for Zadina or Tkachuk??

Would be fun to see what that could get you at the end of the day, mind you giving up Dougie is pretty big in itself and likely not the BEST move. Still would be really interesting to see what we could land if something like that pan'd out.

Almost EA NHL 18 trade funsies.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:11 PM   #88
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

IF MTL was so desperate for a center. Why would they take Hamilton and not say ohhhhh a locked in Mikael Backlund? Seems like that is what would get Bergevin to flinch on a trigger.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:21 PM   #89
squirtle
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Why are we trading dougie again? He's exactly what we need..

He's young, big, can shoot, right shot, signed long term on a good contract, puts up 40-50pts, skates well and wants to be in Calgary.

Oh right..because magic beans!!!
Old 06-18-2018, 05:30 PM   #90
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

What would we hilarious is if the Flames make a big move to get #3...

...And then don't draft Tkachuk.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2018, 05:59 PM   #91
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
What would we hilarious is if the Flames make a big move to get #3...

...And then don't draft Tkachuk.
That would be bizarre.

The whole idea of trading into the top 5 with where we're at doesn't really make much sense. Hard to imagine such a move improving the team now and likely it would involve worsening the team in the short term. But it is draft week and I get that the idea of two Tkachuks is pretty tempting to some of us. Imagine a Tkachuk on each of the top two lines! Or a line with a Tkachuk on each wing!

But yeah overall it doesn't really make much sense.

Treliving does have a big history of making serious moves at the draft. While I don't think dealing into the top 5 or 10 will be one of them I'd be shocked if he didn't do something. More likely moves IMO would be...

1. Dealing a dman for a top 6 forward
2. Dealing something for picks in the 2nd or 3rd round

Especially interesting will be to watch if anything brews between CAR and CGY. We do have an expert on CAR players in our new coach and they are ripe to be pilfered from with their owner and new GM. Bergevin of course is looking like a easy mark as he seems to be making desperation trades year after year.

Should be fascinating.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:08 PM   #92
Murph
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

What about 3rd overall and Pacioretty?

Proabably too much from the Habs.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:22 PM   #93
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirtle View Post
He'd understand considering freddie is not a potential 3rd overall pick
How dare you diss brother Freddie
Old 06-18-2018, 06:26 PM   #94
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
On Tim and Sid just now:

Bergevin shopping the 3rd overall.
Wonder how hard he'd be shopping it. In most years you can rely on getting a potential #1 centre in the top 3 but this year may not be the best year to fill that role. Only Kotkaniemi looks like a potential top centre and if the Habs are not big believers in him trading down or away does make some sense. Sucks to pick #3 in a draft where the scouts see a drop-off after #2.

That said given that several of their core pieces up front are average to below average sized forwards if they do stay there Brady Tkachuk looks like a good compliment to what they already have. But again he's not a C and they seem to have a dire, dire need for centres.

What on earth is Bergeron doing there? Do they even have a top 3 line centre at the moment? Will Max Domi be their #1 centre? In a league where C is the most important forward position the Habs seem to have missed the memo. I'm not a big advocate of trading Jankowski or Bennett but the Habs may be a team that actually might make a tempting offer for one of them just due to their desperation and Bergeron's willingness to take chances on young forwards with high upsides (paid a big price for Drouin and Domi.)

If you could get the #3 for Janko+ or Bennett+ would the Flames be interested? What would the + be?
Old 06-18-2018, 06:31 PM   #95
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wonder how hard he'd be shopping it. In most years you can rely on getting a potential #1 centre in the top 3 but this year may not be the best year to fill that role. Only Kotkaniemi looks like a potential top centre and if the Habs are not big believers in him trading down or away does make some sense. Sucks to pick #3 in a draft where the scouts see a drop-off after #2.

That said given that several of their core pieces up front are average to below average sized forwards if they do stay there Brady Tkachuk looks like a good compliment to what they already have. But again he's not a C and they seem to have a dire, dire need for centres.

What on earth is Bergeron doing there? Do they even have a top 3 line centre at the moment? Will Max Domi be their #1 centre? In a league where C is the most important forward position the Habs seem to have missed the memo. I'm not a big advocate of trading Jankowski or Bennett but the Habs may be a team that actually might make a tempting offer for one of them just due to their desperation and Bergeron's willingness to take chances on young forwards with high upsides (paid a big price for Drouin and Domi.)
Yeah, now that you put it that way, Hamilton for 3rd overall is an absolute no-go for this draft IMO.

You're trading a 24 year old top pairing right shot defenseman for a magic bean that you HOPE turns into a top line winger. Like you said, maybe it could be considered if there was a high end center prospect available up there. But if there was Montreal would probably keep the pick.

Montreal definitely adds, and a fair bit IMO.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:33 PM   #96
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even if Zadina or Tkachuk hit their ceilings, they project to be like Phil Kessel good at best.

I wouldn't trade 24 yo Dougie for 18 yo Kessel, let alone a guy who's not even a lock to be that good.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:04 PM   #97
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

If you could get the #3 for Janko+ or Bennett+ would the Flames be interested? What would the + be?
I think you're dreaming if you think the Habs make those trades. The only trades I can remember where a top 10 pick was traded for a player was:
Stepan and Raanta for 7.
Schneider for 9.
J.Staal for 8.

Those trades were all for cornerstone pieces. Or at least the team receiving them thought they were. The Habs are going to want a top 2 D, #1 goalie or #1a/b center. We are all dreaming if we think a top 5 pick can be had for Brodie, Bennett, Janko, Backlund...

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2018, 07:06 PM   #98
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Flames really only have four pieces that land you that pick. Monahan, Johnny, Tkachuk or Dougie. Any less and they make that pick.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2018, 07:34 PM   #99
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If Treliving does make a trade for a forward I think it will be a name that many will feel is underwhelming. I think everyone is after the next Karlsson in Vegas. Looking for that hidden gem that just hasn't been given the opportunity to play a bigger role.

In fact the Flames did a move like this many years ago. When Marc Savard was acquired he was playing behind some big names in New York but still put decent numbers (relative to the era).
It seems to me most people on here are looking for that big name forward but I'd love to find that gem like a Savard - trouble is most teams are looking to do the same.

Also the Flames' pro scouting hasn't really inspired that kind of confidence judged on the pro players they've acquired in recent history.
Hopefully it means they're due.

Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 06-18-2018 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:40 PM   #100
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sucks to pick #3 in a draft where the scouts see a drop-off after #2.
When Washington won the lottery and were able to get Ovie, with Malkin falling to the Penguins, the Hawks were left with Cam Barker, the consensus #3 pick, who eventually flamed out.

But the Hawks picked up Toews the next year, and won the draft lottery the next year to pick Kane,so it eventually worked out for them obviously.
Closed Thread