Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-22-2017, 04:07 PM   #1
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:
Default Synergies between IOS and IOS and Andriod

I hope this isn't already discussed. I made a new thread instead of posting in each respective thread.

My wife is going to get an IPhone 7 in the next couple months, that is set in stone.

My question is, should I get an IOS device to make use of any synergies between the two devices, or should I find the phone that fits me best? I have no idea what these synergies may be - any useful synergies?

We don't own any Mac's either.

Thank you!
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:10 PM   #2
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

For a long time I had an iPhone and my wife had an Android phone. It didn't matter at all. I just had to go through more hoops to put the same music on my phone. *shrug*
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 04:40 PM   #3
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

The biggest things for me are:
Find my iPhone. Great for seeing where somebody is without calling.
Shared purchases. Nice to not have to buy the same app twice.
Support. I have to support my wife's phone- so both of us having iOS makes that much easier.

In my mind there isn't much difference between a new iPhone and a new high end Android device. So those minor things above make the difference for me.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 06:04 PM   #4
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
You mean that 'Find my friends' app? That #### is creepy, I am not turning that on.
TorqueDog is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 08:28 PM   #5
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
The biggest things for me are:
Shared purchases. Nice to not have to buy the same app twice.
Support. I have to support my wife's phone- so both of us having iOS makes that much easier.

In my mind there isn't much difference between a new iPhone and a new high end Android device. So those minor things above make the difference for me.
There is very little difference between an iPhone and any Android device, if we are going by the examples you presented.

- Android Device Manager
- Google Play Store does the same thing
- Support is pretty similar on both sides. For Google, it's more about the software, not the hardware.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 09:27 PM   #6
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh. Buy whatever you want.

I have however started group iMessages and whenever an Android phone gets added and turns the chat bubbles green, I remove that person.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 10:32 PM   #7
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good ol synergy.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 10:56 PM   #8
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
There is very little difference between an iPhone and any Android device, if we are going by the examples you presented.

- Android Device Manager
- Support is pretty similar on both sides. For Google, it's more about the software, not the hardware.
Does this mean you only need to buy an app once for both phones?
Old 01-22-2017, 11:29 PM   #9
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavvy View Post
Does this mean you only need to buy an app once for both phones?
On Google? Yes. Apps are tied to your account, I have multiple phones and tablets that have the same paid app. But Kids am also not really interested in sharing anything with my wife. She now has an iPhone and I am still Android, life has carried on pretty much as it did before when we were both on Android.

If your were looking at automating your house maybe having the same phones might matter but I see no real reason to worry about it.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2017, 11:42 PM   #10
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

My thoughts:

First a disclaimer to Fanboys: I know Android can what iPhones can do by installing a few apps to get video chat, find my friends, iMessage type of apps and others. Please don't find it imperative to tell me this, I own android and apple devices and I DO NOT think one is more superior then the other.

Android or iOS both have their perks and frustrations, i suggest sharing both good and bad. In other words if she is getting an iPhone go the same route so the "who do you do this" questions are easier as is the iMessage, FaceTime, find my friends and family sharing. My whole family uses apple now and it is nice that if someone buys an album or app every single person also can access that app or album for free. My mother in law buys a new book every week and my wife, sister and mother all gets free books .

My wife got an iPhone years back and I also made the change for synergy and occasionally I think about switching back but the ease of FaceTime, iMessage, family sharing and a few other built in features (without installing other apps) make me stick around.

Last edited by Diemenz; 01-22-2017 at 11:48 PM.
Diemenz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diemenz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2017, 08:03 AM   #11
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Thank you all,

It sounds like a summary of the responses could be "If you are debating between two phones that are very nearly equal in your mind, get the IPhone since your wife is going that route, but if one fits you much better, the synergies are not worth it".

Which is too bad, this was supposed to make my decision cut and dry!

Last edited by Kavvy; 01-23-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:12 AM   #12
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post

- Android Device Manager
As I said, both devices are pretty much the same. However I cannot track an iPhone on Android Device Manager, and if I buy an app from iTunes I do not get it from Google Play for free.

And you are misreading what I mean by support. I mean that I have to support my wife's phone. So if I use the same platform day in and day out, I can resolve the issue much faster. At work I have to support both Android and iPhone, and I am much better with iPhone. My buddy who has an Android phone is much quicker with Android issues than I am. Just a matter of being familiar with what we use.

As mentioned in the OP, his wife is getting an iPhone- period. My point is there is very little difference between the two systems; that the little differences would be enough to make me want to be on the same things.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2017, 01:51 PM   #13
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
You mean that 'Find my friends' app? That #### is creepy, I am not turning that on.
Creepy sure, but useful as all hell. Without it I probably would have replaced at least 2 phones by now. I know a few people that find it creepy and refuse to turn it on, and all but 1 has either lost their phone or had it stolen at some point. Different strokes for different folks... you have to weigh creepiness vs. convenience, and everybody is different there.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:43 PM   #14
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Both my wife and I have iPhones.

We use the "Find Friends" app daily to keep tabs on each other. This could be a drawback if you don't want that...

We use iMessage, but honestly, we also use WhatsApp with family chats for those not on iOS.

My opinion is that it doesn't really matter, but I prefer iOS because it's what I'm used to now, and can easily help her troubleshoot when she has issues.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:37 AM   #15
mdubz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavvy View Post
I hope this isn't already discussed. I made a new thread instead of posting in each respective thread.

My wife is going to get an IPhone 7 in the next couple months, that is set in stone.

My question is, should I get an IOS device to make use of any synergies between the two devices, or should I find the phone that fits me best? I have no idea what these synergies may be - any useful synergies?

We don't own any Mac's either.

Thank you!
If you can hold off a bit, you should wait a bit longer. The iPhone 8 is rumored to be released this year for the 10th anniversary. The iPhone 7 is not a big upgrade from the 6, but the 8 will most likely have a redesign.
mdubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:52 AM   #16
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubz View Post
If you can hold off a bit, you should wait a bit longer. The iPhone 8 is rumored to be released this year for the 10th anniversary. The iPhone 7 is not a big upgrade from the 6, but the 8 will most likely have a redesign.
The issue here is that "a bit longer" is 8-9 months.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:17 AM   #17
mdubz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
The issue here is that "a bit longer" is 8-9 months.
Just throwing it out there. It's the reason why I'm hanging onto my iPhone 6 with a battery that lasts 3 hours instead of upgrading right now.
mdubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:22 PM   #18
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubz View Post
Just throwing it out there. It's the reason why I'm hanging onto my iPhone 6 with a battery that lasts 3 hours instead of upgrading right now.
Pick up a Mophie battery case... when I had an iPhone 4S it was a lifesaver and extended my patience with that phone by 1 year+.

I have a 6S+ now and recharge it 1.5 times daily- it gets heavy use. I am already prepared and resigned to having to get a new battery in about a year. I will likely also not get iPhone 8, but might get 8S/9 or whatever else.

I'm trying to hold out for solid state battery, but will that day ever come?