Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 06:56 PM   #21
Gaudreauvertime
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I don't think exhibition games, in a pre-season tournament, constitute big games
I don't either. I'm just saying that sample size isn't always something people consider when it's a big game. Bruce Boudreau went like 0-3 in game 7s and it cost him his job.

What I'm saying is that, objectively, Johnny has been the best player on a loaded team over a 5 game sample size. He's actually leading the entire tournament in scoring (incl exhibition). Considering his NHL production, it's just further proof that there is minimal risk of him becoming a 60 point player. He looks more like a 100 point player in this tournament.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:08 PM   #22
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudreauvertime View Post
I don't either. I'm just saying that sample size isn't always something people consider when it's a big game. Bruce Boudreau went like 0-3 in game 7s and it cost him his job.

What I'm saying is that, objectively, Johnny has been the best player on a loaded team over a 5 game sample size. He's actually leading the entire tournament in scoring (incl exhibition). Considering his NHL production, it's just further proof that there is minimal risk of him becoming a 60 point player. He looks more like a 100 point player in this tournament.
Again, the exhibition games are meaningless. You only weaken your argument by referring to them. He isn't leading the tournament in scoring.

If NA manages to beat Sweden and make it into the playoff round, and he has a great game against Canada, well at least then you can call it a big game. Still have a sample size issue, but at least it would be success in a big game.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:59 AM   #23
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Team Euro, against whom JG made the most hay, was really bad in those two exhibition games. They have said so themselves. Then they beat the Finns who have now taken over as arguably the worst team in the tournament and lost to the Russians, who beat them with basically a limited effort. JG had pretty good games each time, but I still think he and the rest of TNA have a tough time against a better defence like Sweden or Canada.

JG's value has almost nothing to do with this tournament and pretty much 100% to do with his NHL play.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2016, 10:47 AM   #24
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
...Oh and lol at anyone who thought the WCH wouldnt cement his position on what he thinks he should be paid and it impact the negotiations.

The world (prolly just Canadians watching really) is watching Johnny become arguably the best of the best of the U23's in the league over how many 1st overall picks?
Are you drunk?

As near as I can see, the WCH has not had any impact on the contract wrangling between Gaudreau and the Flames, unless you are privy to this sudden change in his negotiating position... Do tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2016, 12:54 PM   #25
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yep, this world cup of hockey coverage is the most painfully awkward example yet that hockey broadcasts go in with a narrative and find examples to push that narrative instead of just letting the biggest stories be the biggest stories.

McDavid!! Matthews!!!

*Johnny starts off strong, being the best player on the team, drawing ooohs from the crowd every time he touches the puck, while Matthews and McDavid remain alright but not outstanding

McDavid!! Matthews!!
Yep, watching the 5-on-3 against Russia the other night proved that Gaudreau should've been on that powerplay with RHN and McKinnon. I think Gaudreau would have tied that game on the latter half of the powerplay. But instead the coach left his favorite players on the whole frickin time. The way Gaudrea left the ice at the end of that game, it kinda showed his frustrations.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:57 PM   #26
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

looks like even brent burns little one idolizes Gaudreau:

http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/09/20...ohnny-gaudreau

Quote:
“Johnny Gaudreau is my little guy’s favourite player,” smiled the wonderfully bearded Burns.
“It’s been a sticking point in our house lately because when we play Calgary, he cheers for the Flames. He wants to go to Calgary to cheer them on. I said, ‘I don’t think that’s going to happen, bud.’ I have to talk to him about it and straighten him out a bit.”
Quote:
“He plays for the Junior Sharks, and his team is the Flames. He’s obsessed with the Flames. He’s got a Flames room.”
Truth be told, Burns is okay with it.
“He’s an unbelievable player,” said Burns, whose Canadian squad faced off Tuesday against a U.S. team Gaudreau will soon play on for years to come.
“His ability with the puck to shift side-to-side, he’s like (Patrick) Kane. Those guys are hard to contain. He’s got a great shot and great hockey sense. Pretty amazing talent.”
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2016, 01:41 PM   #27
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Burns is a F.A next season too. He would give us the best top 4 in the league

Giodano - Burns
Brodie - Hamilton
Old 09-21-2016, 04:49 PM   #28
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly how the #### was he drafted in the 4th round?! No one saw his talent in college?
Old 09-21-2016, 04:52 PM   #29
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post

Giodano - Burns
Brodie - Hamilton

We might have trouble fitting Burns under the cap.

With or without Bobby Ryan's 7-million cap hit up front.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:54 PM   #30
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Honestly how the #### was he drafted in the 4th round?! No one saw his talent in college?

He was playing in high school when he was drafted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 09-21-2016, 04:55 PM   #31
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We drafted him out of the USHL or whatever it's called, before he got to college.
Dubuque fighting saints I think.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:57 PM   #32
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post

Giodano - Burns
Brodie - Hamilton
Looks pretty but Burns will cost elite D money.

If the Flames look to round out their top 4 D via UFA next of season, I hope they get Alzner.

He's younger than Burns, wouldn't cost as much and would be the perfect fit for what the Flames need to round out the top 4. He'd look great partnered with Dougie.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2016, 11:01 PM   #33
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Its not that easy. Its hard to compare US College hockey to the normal routes that players go through.

If it were that easy then even the Oilers could do it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 09-22-2016, 12:03 AM   #34
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Its not that easy. Its hard to compare US College hockey to the normal routes that players go through.

If it were that easy then even the Oilers could do it.
He wasn't drafted from College, it was from USHL.

It was his first year in College when people first really started to notice him.

But yeah, easy to overlook a guy who's in a lower-level league and was 5'6 145 lbs at the time.

Considering his physical attributes, I'd say he was drafted higher than expected.

What would have been really interesting is if he had gone undrafted, went to college and blew up like he did. He'd probably be the highest paid college UFA in history by a wide margin.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:21 AM   #35
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau was playing in the USHL for Dubuque (his rookie year) when he was drafted. It is a league that is fairly heavily scouted now by the NHL, so I am sure all 30 teams got to see him.

Johnny weighed 135lbs at the draft. That is why so many teams passed on him. Boston (if you believe Weisbrod) were going to draft him with their next pick, but Calgary beat them to the punch. I can understand why so many teams were reluctant to draft him higher, given his size and stature. Just happy that Todd Button saw and thought enough of him to draft him before any other team did.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:16 AM   #36
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

This is a well known story. Flames scouts were eying him but not directly approaching him, rather asking opposing coaches how they dealt with him.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:12 AM   #37
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
What would have been really interesting is if he had gone undrafted, went to college and blew up like he did. He'd probably be the highest paid college UFA in history by a wide margin.
No, he wouldn't, because even college UFAs are required to sign ELCs. He'd get the maximum ELC, naturally, but a lot of other guys are also getting the maximum ELC.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:30 AM   #38
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Gaudreau was playing in the USHL for Dubuque (his rookie year) when he was drafted. It is a league that is fairly heavily scouted now by the NHL, so I am sure all 30 teams got to see him.

Johnny weighed 135lbs at the draft. That is why so many teams passed on him. Boston (if you believe Weisbrod) were going to draft him with their next pick, but Calgary beat them to the punch. I can understand why so many teams were reluctant to draft him higher, given his size and stature. Just happy that Todd Button saw and thought enough of him to draft him before any other team did.
I vaguely remember the Flames and Nikita Kucherov and Gaudreau on their special side list so when Kucherov got picked, the Flames wanted to get Gaudreau with their next pick. (I think Kucherov was a 2nd rounder, flames did't have a 3rd rounder and had to wait for the fourth round)
Old 11-04-2018, 11:43 AM   #39
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Patrick Kane is a Johnny Gaudreau fan.

Thought I would give this thread a bump cause gaudreau deserves a lot of praise for how good he’s been this season and he outshined Kane by a mile last night... a player he has often been compared to. I’m pumped that everyone in the team has been playing well and they all deserve credit for the roll this team is on. I think Johnny flies under the radar in terms of praise because he’s so good so often we all just take it for granted. Similar to how a lot of fans took iginla for granted in his prime. These guys would put up 3 points in a game and still end up with the 3rd star just because they play well so often they don’t get talked about as much.

I was at the game last night and Johnny was putting on a clinic. The whole crowd was in awe at times. There was one play in the neutral zone where his move was so freaking fast that it looked like he went right through a defender. I remember Tyler Wotherspoon talking about trying to defend against gaudreau in the world juniors years ago and he described it like trying to stop a ghost. He is so elusive and quick. We are lucky to have one of, if not the most elite playmakers in the game on this team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by stemit14; 11-04-2018 at 11:46 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 12:05 PM   #40
hansmoleman
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Was that really worth bumping this thread? I started on the first page and was panicking that Johnny needed a new contract.