Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 09:46 AM   #1261
LGA
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Interesting. The only players that Chicago has to even out a trade of this kind financially, are Bickell and Scuderi. I would think that they would hold negative value, so the return would be.... Dano+?

Although the Canucks are losing three D to UFA next year, so I would think that the player involved would be Scuderi to make something like this work. Not the worst idea in the world for Vancouver. I wonder how they will make it horrible somehow.
You also forget they are going to be dealing with Jim Benning. He'll probably think he is the buyer and will give up a 1st for Scuderi and Bickell because of their "championship experience".
Old 02-25-2016, 09:54 AM   #1262
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Yakupov has NEVER been as highly thought of as Drouin. Not before he was drafted, not right after he was drafted. Drouin was drafted in a much, much better year. I think at least 8 players from Drouins year would've gone ahead of Yak if you put him in that draft, maybe more.
Not that I disagree, but weren't they talking about how Yakupov broke some Stamkos record in the OHL or something back during his draft year? I remember people saying he's the next Kovalchuk. Maybe they meant bolting to the KHL like Kovalchuk ha ha.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:55 AM   #1263
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
@TOfan

What point are you trying to make? Are you trying to say Drouin is getting a raw deal? Because using Kucherov and Paquette don't help your case. Are you saying these other guys have the same problems in their games that Drouin has, and has refused to work on? Again, using Kucherov and Paquette don't help your case. Drouin's lack of opportunity are on him. He was given a roster spot to work with and given top end talent to work with. He made the decision to ignore the demands of the coach and play the game his way. That's on him. That is something every team that is thinking of trading for him will have to consider as well.

When you assume that risk, you expect there to be a benefit to you as well. That will come in a reduced acquisition cost. Herman can talk all tough and everything, demanding a roster player, a prospect and a draft pick, but the reality is he has to find someone to give it to him. That is going to be a challenge, unless he is going to be happy with a package of something like Bollig (roster player), Elson (prospect), and a 7th (draft pick). He has to be reasonable or he's going to be sitting on Drouin for a while. So while he talks tough out of one side of his face he says something else out of the other; acknowledging he wants to move him sooner than later. Something is going to give, and I think Yzer,an is going to lose and lose hard on this one.

Drouin's lack of opportunity are in part on him, sure. But they are not all on him. The Lightning organization has to take some responsibility here also. Fact of the matter is this is the same organization that selected him 3rd overall in one of the deepest drafts in recent history. Obviously they liked him quite a lot at some point. So what has happened since then? Has Drouin simply sh*t the bed, or is it at all conceivable that if he were in another organization he may already be solidified as a top 6 NHLer? This isn't on one side or the other, it's on both.

Have you ever been an employee in a place where things weren't going very well? was it your fault or your employers? Chances are, it was a little bit of both. Call it being a good 'fit' if you will, but I suspect Drouin would be highly coveted by many and clearly it is time for him to move on. He requested a trade last summer because he was unhappy with how his progression was going.

To get back to the original point; you're not going to get Drouin for a rental and a good prospect. Drouin is worth more than that. Yzerman is either going to get a young player who can help his team now, latest speculation I have heard that makes sense is Anaheim sending Hampus Lindholm or Sami Vatanen to the Lighting.

Further your second paragraph doesn't add up. Drouin has considerable upside and is only 20. That is among the most valuable assets there is in the NHL, and there will be a number of teams interested. Drouin isn't a toxic asset the Lightning need to get rid of, he has value. Things just didn't work out in Tampa and probably for many reasons. Look no further than the Turris trade. The Lightning aren't looking for simply dump him.

hypothetically if the Flames end up picking 8th or 9th overall and Drouin hasn't been moved would you make that trade?
Old 02-25-2016, 10:08 AM   #1264
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Bob Mackenzie was asked where he thought Drouin would go in this draft if he was suddenly put into it and Bob thought 4th at lowest. So if Yzerman still values him as a top 5 pick they are going to want a ton.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:12 AM   #1265
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bob Mackenzie was asked where he thought Drouin would go in this draft if he was suddenly put into it and Bob thought 4th at lowest. So if Yzerman still values him as a top 5 pick they are going to want a ton.
The same Bob Mackenzie that thinks Russell will get 5.5M x 5.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2016, 10:13 AM   #1266
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Well to be fair that hasn't been proven wrong

Teams overpay at the deadline for rental defensemen and teams definitely overpay on July 1st for UFA defensemen. Happens every year.

Andrew MacDonald has a 5 million dollar cap hit and is so great he played in the minors for part of this year. If a team pays MacDonald 5 million then 5.5 for Russell isn't out of the question.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 02-25-2016 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:14 AM   #1267
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Yeah, and he is probably right. Most believe Russell will get a similar deal to what Petry & Sekara got last off season.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:20 AM   #1268
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But was Bob speaking honestly or was he shilling for Yzerman?

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2016, 10:22 AM   #1269
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seiloff has basically no value. If the Bolts want a Dman prospect, he's not the answer. I'd say he's a project now. I think Kulak would have more value & he's not even someone Yzerman would want.

If we somehow trade Wideman & get Carle (in a multi player trade), you'd think that Bolts would have to retain a bit as Carle has an extra year. Maybe we retain something like 50% of Wideman and they retain 20% of Carle's contract.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:27 AM   #1270
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
But was Bob speaking honestly or was he shilling for Yzerman?
Maybe that quote was taken from Bob's appearance last week on the Howard Stern show?
Old 02-25-2016, 10:40 AM   #1271
Miniac
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Would much rather push for a trade with Dallas to grab Nichushkin if they're dangling him rather than grab Drouin.
Yes please! What do they need back? A top 4 D?
Old 02-25-2016, 10:48 AM   #1272
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Maybe that quote was taken from Bob's appearance last week on the Howard Stern show?
haha.

I heard mackenzie state it on tsn radio on the way home from work on Tuesday.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:56 AM   #1273
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Before Dreger, Bob was Dreger. Know what I mean?

He has no idea what he is talking about, except when he is citing his agent and GM sources (who use him quite obviously).

He is out of his mind if he would pick Drouin 4th. That is a talent only analysis. As we all know there is a lot more to weighing his value than that, now that Drouin has quit on his team.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:56 AM   #1274
Dr. Doom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Bob also said Cory Conacher would win Calder
Old 02-25-2016, 11:02 AM   #1275
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

This feels like Bobby Mac is shilling for Yzerman.

If anybody thought he still had 4th overall pick value then this trade would likely be done already. It's likely only Yzerman that is still valuing him as a top 5 value pick.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:04 AM   #1276
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I think people are holding the fact he had a star player and now a prospect demand a trade from his organization. In addition he signed his superstar to a contract that takes him right to UFA and has not signed him. If Stamkos walks there is something fishy about how Yzerman menus his team
If I had an opportunity to be the highest paid player in the NHL, I might consider testing the market even if I loved my boss.

Wouldn't necessarily consider it bad management from Yzerman if they don't sign Stamkos for $11m a season or whatever ridiculous offer Toronto or someone else will send him.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:09 AM   #1277
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
Why we suck:

-goaltending

Your entire post can be boiled down to four words.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2016, 11:10 AM   #1278
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Nah. You could put Carey Price on this team and they'd still be oft-frustrating.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:24 AM   #1279
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
So... keep Russell?
Old 02-25-2016, 11:25 AM   #1280
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Nah. You could put Carey Price on this team and they'd still be oft-frustrating.
If the flames had Carey price this year they would be in a wild card spot.
Closed Thread