Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 04:41 PM   #1161
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Funny you were praising the Kings and Sutter and yet Bollig is the type of guy who could play on the 4th line for Sutter any day. Some sort of disconnect in your logic there.
You neglect to mention that at center, the Kings #4C is Nick Shore who is the third best CorsiRel center in the entire NHL @ +6.97% so their "Jooris" is a guy who's that much better than Jooris or anybody else we have in that role.

Last edited by GranteedEV; 02-24-2016 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:42 PM   #1162
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

unsubscribe
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Scornfire For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2016, 04:43 PM   #1163
mdubz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Stop with all the corsi/advanced stats crap and keep this thread on topic.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:51 PM   #1164
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Hudler + Poirier feels like a tad too much.

I feel like if its Hudler going the other way then the prospect shouldn't have to be a top tier prospect.

Hudler is pretty much equivalent value of a 1st round pick this year.

I'd probably still do it, but would prefer it was a lesser prospect.
I like Porier, but he's not a top tier prospect.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:51 PM   #1165
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourque's Twin View Post
Yzerman was reported saying he wants to trade Drouin sooner rather than later and he hopes to get something in return that helps their power play.

What about Drouin for Hudler + Poirier?

Tampa gets immediate help on the top 2 lines. With Kucherov sidelined, they are dressing Killorn on the top line and Marchessault on the 2nd line. Both currently produce at 0.5 PPG being surrounded by top players. Despite being injured / not up to par all season, Hudler produces better numbers, and he could easily slot in on the #1 or #2 PP in Tampa. The Flames could retain salary if need be. In addition, they get Poirier, a former 1st round pick, who could fill a LW void in the prospect cupboard with Drouin's departure. Poirier still has lots of time to develop.
I wouldn't do that. Maybe Hudler + Klimchuk. Poirier is extremely important to the Flames moving forward as he's a RW, which the team desperately needs. I actually think the acquisition of Shinkaruk may have taken us out of the Drouin derby. We are a little heavy on the left side so I'm not sure I see a fit. Much rather go after Nichushkin.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:27 PM   #1166
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I wouldn't do that. Maybe Hudler + Klimchuk. Poirier is extremely important to the Flames moving forward as he's a RW, which the team desperately needs. I actually think the acquisition of Shinkaruk may have taken us out of the Drouin derby. We are a little heavy on the left side so I'm not sure I see a fit. Much rather go after Nichushkin.
I don't think Shinkaruk took the Flames out of the Drouin sweepstakes. Drouin has a high probability to slot into the top 2 lines next season, while Shinkaruk most likely needs more time to develop. They also bring different skillsets.

I also don't think trading Hudler + Poirier puts the Flames out of the Nishushkin sweepstakes. I think Nichushkin could be had for Russell ++, so maybe both Drouin and Nichushkin could be Flames.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Laine
Drouin - Bennett - Nichushkin
Ferland - Backlund - Frolik
Bouma - Stajan - Bollig

Ok, maybe I'm getting too far ahead of myself.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:38 PM   #1167
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Classic example of a fan base overvaluing their prospects.

Poirier has taken a perplexing step backwards & hasn't distinguished himself at all this season. I would think Piorier is much more a 'B' level prospect at this point. He is far from a sure thing.

If I'm Yzerman I'm hanging up the phone. He will certainly receive better offers than a b level prospect & a pending ufa.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:03 PM   #1168
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Classic example of a fan base overvaluing their prospects.

Poirier has taken a perplexing step backwards & hasn't distinguished himself at all this season. I would think Piorier is much more a 'B' level prospect at this point. He is far from a sure thing.

If I'm Yzerman I'm hanging up the phone. He will certainly receive better offers than a b level prospect & a pending ufa.
Is it at all possible that you could be displaying a couple fan relate problems to your self? Are you maybe taking any grass is greener approach to prospects? Are you possibly ignoring the negatives of the player from the other team? Also could you possibly be evaluating Poirier only on his statistics and not taking into consideration the assignments that his coaches are giving him?

We see an interesting contrast here between prospects. Drouin has been asked to develop a 200 foot game and has told the Tampa Bay Lightning he's not interested in doing so. Calgary has made the expectation of that 200 foot game standard for all of their prospects, which may explain the lack of production for the flames prospect. Until I hear someone from the flames organization say they are not happy with the development of Poirier I am going to believe he is firmly on track to being a player the team expect him to be.

Last edited by Lanny_McDonald; 02-24-2016 at 06:36 PM. Reason: damn phone!
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2016, 06:14 PM   #1169
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agree. It's been made clear on a couple of occasions that an adequate defensive game would be prioritized. Klimchuk is ahead of porier in this regard, and has been given more offensive opportunity as a result. Porier will get there, and his ability to put up points hasn't disappeared.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:40 PM   #1170
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chris Nichols ‎@NicholsOnHockey McKenzie sees #Flames' Russell as "being the type of defenseman" that would interest #Pens. But lots of competition for him.

goodgoodgood
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to JurassicTunga12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2016, 06:41 PM   #1171
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Is it at all possible that you could be displaying A couple can relate problems to your self? Are you maybe taking any grass is greener approach to prospects? Are you possibly ignoring the negatives of the player from the other team? Also could you possibly be evaluating Poirier only on his statistics and not taking into consideration the assignments that his coaches are giving him?

We see an interesting contrast here between prospects. Drouin has been asked to develop a 200 foot game and has told the Tampa Bay Lightning he's not interested in doing so. Calgary has made the expectation of that 200 foot game standard for all of their prospects, which may explain the lack of production for the flames prospect. Until I hear someone from the flames organization say they are not happy with the development of Poirier I am going to believe he is firmly on track to being a player the team expect him to be.
Huska was on the fan earlier today describing Piorier's play as 'inconsistent'. When the flames selected him, he as rated to go in the 2nd round. He had a good first pro year, but was a disappointment in Penticton & at training camp afterwards. Further, you hear next to nothing about him or his progression. In this case no news is not good news. I doubt his value would be viewed as anything more than Shinkaruk ie; a tweener.

That said, he is young and as pointed out probably trying to develop a well rounded game. But let's not confuse the upside of Druoin and Piorier. Druoin is the better prospect. hands down. Druoin is blue chip while I'm sure the Flames would be pleased if Piorier turns out to be a top 9 forward by the time he is 23.

Last edited by TOfan; 02-24-2016 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:43 PM   #1172
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is Eklind so likely not true but hilarious if it happens. He claims the Canucks and Bruins have had serious talks on Eriksson. No denying he would be a great fit with the twins but another 30+ player who is UFA so why trade for him?
Old 02-24-2016, 06:46 PM   #1173
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicTunga12 View Post
Chris Nichols ‎@NicholsOnHockey McKenzie sees #Flames' Russell as "being the type of defenseman" that would interest #Pens. But lots of competition for him.

goodgoodgood
Old 02-24-2016, 06:48 PM   #1174
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

goodgoodgood
This has me fairly excited. Russell could get us a 1st with the lack of Dmen on the market. In fact the lack of Dmen makes me think it is even possible to see Wideman or Engellend moved out as well which helps the cap situation next season
Old 02-24-2016, 06:50 PM   #1175
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
It is Eklind so likely not true but hilarious if it happens. He claims the Canucks and Bruins have had serious talks on Eriksson. No denying he would be a great fit with the twins but another 30+ player who is UFA so why trade for him?
Eriksson had amazing chemistry with the twins in a few tournaments in the past. It makes no sense at all for them in their current situation, but I wouldn't be surprised if the geniuses in Vancouver tried this as a last desperate hail mary pass in order to speed up their glorious rebuild on the fly and win something with the twins.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:51 PM   #1176
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Huska was on the fan earlier today describing Piorier's play as 'inconsistent'. When the flames selected him, he as rated to go in the 2nd round. He had a good first pro year, but was a disappointment in Penticton & at training camp afterwards. Further, you hear next to nothing about him or his progression. In this case no news is not good news.
Depends who you ask. Redline Report, one of the more reputable independent scouting agencies had him rated #21. Of him they said, "Improved so quickly he'd have been top 15 in 2 more weeks." They also said, "Red Line’s favourite sleeper in the entire draft. Hard-driving winger has much more puck skill and offensive imagination than he gets credit for, and is constantly improving. Dramatic increase in speed, leg strength, and skating power. Rangy with soft hands and sees the ice well; creative passer and unselfish with the puck. Good vision and playmaking abilities. Has to create his own openings on a team without much help, and does so consistently. Bulls his way to net with checkers draped all over his back and still gets away dangerous shots. Great release on heavy wrister. Very good hockey sense. Power player creates space for linemates. Competes his bag off every shift and is his team’s heart and soul, contributing in every conceivable facet. Coaches throw him out in every key situation - logs huge minutes and shows great stamina, getting stronger as the game goes on. Instinctive and understands different game situations."
"Projection: Instense, 2nd line power winger for strong club."

In the end we're just going to have to be patient. Because of his birthdate he went to the AHL a year before most of his peers. Most draft picks take 4-5 years to develop fully. I don't see anything super worrying in his development yet. If he isn't in the conversation by the 2nd half of next year I may start to be concerned. Both he and Shinkaruk are still very young.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2016, 07:02 PM   #1177
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

goodgoodgood
I hope there's a bidding war for his services and it turns into one of those deadlines where GM's lose their minds cause everyone feels like they're one piece away.

#firstroundpick

Last edited by Racki; 02-24-2016 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:04 PM   #1178
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

@FDW

Very well. I'm sure some scouts liked him. That's no surprise. I would be more concerned with his recent performance at prospect & training camp than scouting reports from three years ago.

If memory serves the flames publicly stated they were expecting to see more this past fall. But to your point, he is still young and the development curve is rarely a straight line. Maybe the flames are taking a tough love approach. Time will tell.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:09 PM   #1179
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Huska was on the fan earlier today describing Piorier's play as 'inconsistent'. When the flames selected him, he as rated to go in the 2nd round. He had a good first pro year, but was a disappointment in Penticton & at training camp afterwards. Further, you hear next to nothing about him or his progression. In this case no news is not good news. I doubt his value would be viewed as anything more than Shinkaruk ie; a tweener.

That said, he is young and as pointed out probably trying to develop a well rounded game. But let's not confuse the upside of Druoin and Piorier. Druoin is the better prospect. hands down. Druoin is blue chip while I'm sure the Flames would be pleased if Piorier turns out to be a top 9 forward by the time he is 23.
Oh for the love of might! Drouin told his team to pound sand, that he had no desire to learn to play a 200' game and was taking his puck and going home! I don't give a rip if you have the talent of Mario Lemieux and Wayne Gretzky all rolled into one, if you think you are bigger than the team, and the game itself, the player ain't worth a damn. Drouin has a lot to explain to prospective teams, and then prove he's willing to work hard for that new team to improve in the areas they think he needs to work on, you know, like his 200' game! When the hell does a "blue chip" prospect stop being a "blue chip" and fall into the suspect zone? Wouldn't refusing to be coached be a massive red flag and take the bloom off his flower? I'd much rather have a less skilled player that is coach-able and does what the team needs than some prima donna that thinks he knows best. I'm pretty sure every team in the league, with the exception of the Oilers, would agree.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2016, 07:28 PM   #1180
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

No worries. If Poirier doesn't pan out, Weisbrod will trade for him
Closed Thread