Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2024, 07:11 AM   #1
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 20 years since the '04 run

My sons home from school sick today, so randomly I showed him a video of game 3 Tampa Flames from the cup finals. I almost got choked up telling him about how important the series/run was. I explained how hockey in Canada was in a deep valley, the country lost the Nords and Jets, and there was a real sense that the only Canadian teams who would survive, or, be able to compete, would be Montreal/Vancouver/Toronto. I told him about the red mile, how it was like a big party for the entire city for 2 months.

It'll never be that good again for me or people my age, I think. What a perfect storm for a really amazing spring.

What are you favourite memories of '04?

edit: We're watching game 5... navras is fired up and the boys are in the tunnel ready to come out. God this was cool/
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 07:13 AM   #2
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 07:13 AM   #3
foofighter15
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Living away from Calgary my biggest memory was my friends slowly becoming Flames fans as they came over for more and more games to the point where even their families became dedicated Flames fans too (until the Kraken expanded)
foofighter15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 07:19 AM   #4
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, similar to foofighter15, I was living away from Calgary, going to university in Ottawa at the time and my memories of that awesome run were of me converting a bunch of Habs, Leafs and Sens fans into Flames fans for those 2 months. We started with watching the games at my place with my roomates and then occasionally would head out to a local pub and watch the game there with volume ON! A buddy of mine mailed various Calgary newspapers and special edition magazines for me to keep, which I still have today.

Never say never, but I agree it feels like it will be hard to duplicate again. That run was unexpected and the one time when most of Canada was actually behind the Canadian team. That didn't happen for the Oilers run that year, most of Canada hated the Canucks in 2010 and I'm unsure if any Canadian team would rally other Canadian fans behind them the way the Flames did in 2004.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 07:33 AM   #5
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

My favorite memory of that run was that my good friend, who is an Oiler fan, was living just off of 17th ave. at the time (AKA Red Mile). He was so upset after every Flame win, not only because they won, but because of the noise and insanity happening just outside his door until the wee hours of the morning in celebration of each win. It was especially painful for him, and it still makes me smile to this day thinking about it.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 07:35 AM   #6
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think those two months will ever be recreated. Just two months of unadulterated joy in seeing an underdog club nearly win it all. The scenes on 17th when spontaneously celebrating the series wins over the Canucks and Wings were unreal. Before social media too.

Really unfortunate the Flames have been dog#### since then as I just don't care about them anymore.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 07:38 AM   #7
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Was going through a super tough time, basically homeless.

04 run put me back on my feet. Can't really say why. Things just became "possible" again.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SutterBrother For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 07:39 AM   #8
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Best sporting memories of my life, no question. The city was electric for 60 days straight.

Some of my favourite memories were from round one when things were just beginning, and growing organically with each game. After Ws, we would drive the convertible down 17th, and people were high fiving the people going the other way, while honking and waving at everyone on the outdoor patios. It didn't take too long before pedestrians were walking down the middle of 17, high fiving the cars on both sides. By game 6 and 7, it was basically like driving in a parade. Then in round 2, they didn't allow cars anymore, and it was just pedestrians. It only took a few games before it became one giant mosh pit.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 07:42 AM   #9
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Too many to count. But ultimately, it was the feeling that it gave me for that whole run. highlighted by

- Montador's OT winner
- Gelinas scoring in OT against the Wings, while I was at Bottlescrew Bills

Those were the biggest 2 highlights for me. I nearly cried on both
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to manwiches For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 07:44 AM   #10
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just watching the beginning of that video (thanks White Out 403!) and two immediate thoughts come to mind:

1) Anthems will always be Heather Liscano, and only Heather Liscano

2) It is wonderful to see the anthems without people shouting stupid things in them (like C Red or True North or whatever your team yells)

Oh, and one more thing: I have always said that I think the Dome crowd sounds a lot quieter on TV than it is - I have always felt they must have the mikes turned down lower than in other buildings. Watching that, I can tell you that it was so loud in the building that you could not think and could not talk to the person beside you, during the pre-game. It looks loud on the video, but it was actually 10X louder than that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 07:46 AM   #11
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
Too many to count. But ultimately, it was the feeling that it gave me for that whole run. highlighted by

- Montador's OT winner
- Gelinas scoring in OT against the Wings, while I was at Bottlescrew Bills

Those were the biggest 2 highlights for me. I nearly cried on both
For me, the one, overarching memory, is the magic that the city was for the entire 60 days. For those 2 months in 2004, during a huge boom for the city, it was the best place on earth to live and be.
Old 04-03-2024, 07:51 AM   #12
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Amazing that no Canadian team has come closer to winning the Stanley Cup in over 30 years than the Flames, who were one goal away in 2004.

The biggest highlight for me was Game 7 against the Canucks. Finally winning that playoff series and the way they did it, allowing the late goal then the redemption.

I drove 14 hours to get to Game 6 hoping to see the series clinch live and when they were down 4-0, I felt like it was the biggest waste of time in my life. Then the comeback, triple OT and heartbreak. It was all still pretty amazing looking back (thanks to how Game 7 turned out).

I was also able to attend Game 3 of the Final, scoring nosebleeds on Ticketmaster. That was incredible.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 07:58 AM   #13
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Skipped work early just to get a table at local pubs. Our whole friend group would watch tehse games religiously.

The best feeling was when Calgary was scoring goals, and the place went crazy. Fans and flags everywhere. Definitely on another level than any normal season game or any playoff game in other years.

Even had a wedding to attend the same night as Game 6 vs. Tampa, and all the guests were just glued to the TV in the next room. The poor Edmonton couple getting married didn't know what hit 'em

That two-month stretch was something special. One of my best memories living in Calgary.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 08:00 AM   #14
Mickey76
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

A lot of great memories but what sticks out to me was how for that glorious 60 days they erased 15 years of what seemed like a culture of losing. I skew a little negative as a fan and in general find myself assuming things won’t go how I hope they will. To me game 7 in round 1 was such a turning point and turned me into a true believer. Something I hadn’t had since 89 and honestly haven’t really had since. Iginla misses on the empty net and Vancouver comes back and ties it sending it to overtime. I don’t think I remember a more soul crushing goal as a flames fan. I was 100% sure we were going to lose, absolutely certain. When Gelinas scored it was like a seismic shift had occurred and all of the sudden we were the team who got the breaks, scores the clutch goals etc. By the time the San Jose series started I almost felt like a different person. So optimistic not just about the Flames but about life in general. It was such a great run .
Mickey76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 08:01 AM   #15
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
Amazing that no Canadian team has come closer to winning the Stanley Cup in over 30 years than the Flames, who were one goal away in 2004.
I'm being pedantic here, but the following playoffs, Carolina and the Oilers went to Game 7. As much as we hate them, they came fairly close. And they came roaring back from being behind 3-1 in the series.
Old 04-03-2024, 08:03 AM   #16
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

It was in
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 08:06 AM   #17
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I'm being pedantic here, but the following playoffs, Carolina and the Oilers went to Game 7. As much as we hate them, they came fairly close. And they came roaring back from being behind 3-1 in the series.
No other team made it to overtime, though. One goal and you win the Cup.
Old 04-03-2024, 08:08 AM   #18
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Sure, but the Oilers were down 2-1 for most of the game, then Carolina got an empty netter.

I mean one more goal from the Oilers and it would have put them into overtime, just like Calgary. And it could have turned ugly for us Flames fans if the Oilers actually capitalized in OT.

I agree with you, no other team has come closer, but Edmonton was pretty damn close all things considered.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2024, 08:14 AM   #19
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Sure, but the Oilers were down 2-1 for most of the game, then Carolina got an empty netter.

I mean one more goal from the Oilers and it would have put them into overtime, just like Calgary. And it could have turned ugly for us Flames fans if the Oilers actually capitalized in OT.

I agree with you, no other team has come closer, but Edmonton was pretty damn close all things considered.
For sure. Canucks also had two cracks at it in 2011, up 3-2.
Old 04-03-2024, 08:18 AM   #20
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Yes, very true, although Boston came back from a 3-1 series deficit and shutout Vancouver 4-0 in game 7 (I remember it vividly, it was one of my best hockey moments watching the Canucks duff it). I'd say Edmonton was closer than they were - that tight spot between Vancouver's Game 7 and Calgary's Game 7.

Bonus points to Canucks fans for destroying their own city afterwards too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post: