Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-06-2017, 09:36 AM   #61
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
I have always advocated for this being a bad signing. The problem I have is that people are too caught up in whining about Brouwer right now when they should be focusing on the real culprits. The top 4/5 forwards need to be much better. If Brouwer is the reason the team is losing there are much worse factors at play.
Yep, just like debates about who is or is not on the fourth line overall are kind of overblown. When we look at upcoming games we rarely worry about who is on the opponent's bottom line.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:53 AM   #62
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well, here's to hoping he makes at least a decent 4th line RW this season...

Urgh...rather have Hathaway...
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stanley For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2017, 11:06 AM   #63
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

It felt like Brouwer played ok with Stajan at the end of last year. Hopefully that can continue.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:25 AM   #64
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
It felt like Brouwer played ok with Stajan at the end of last year. Hopefully that can continue.
The problem is both of these guys are equally as ineffective as the other. For some reason Stajan is on a long leash because he scored one big playoff goal 4 years ago. If these guys are playing significant minutes this year, the Flames are in big trouble.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:39 AM   #65
TheKurgan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The worst part about Stajan and Brouwer playing limited minutes on the 4th line is the roster spots they take away from better players. So instead of being excited to see Janko/Hathaway/Dube/Foo/whoever jump over the boards and contribute, we collectively hold our breath and just hope Brouwer doesn't turn it over before he is off the ice again.
TheKurgan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheKurgan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2017, 12:23 PM   #66
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKurgan View Post
The worst part about Stajan and Brouwer playing limited minutes on the 4th line is the roster spots they take away from better players. So instead of being excited to see Janko/Hathaway/Dube/Foo/whoever jump over the boards and contribute, we collectively hold our breath and just hope Brouwer doesn't turn it over before he is off the ice again.
Stajan and Brouwer kill penalties (and did a pretty good job at it Game 1). They aren't really taking Jankowski's spot. The player taking Jankowski's spot is Glass (and Stajan but Stajan would be the perfect 4th line LW) IMO.

Wish they didn't sign Glass.

Brouwer is taking Lazars spot (I'd rather Lazar), you can argue Stajan, Glass or even Versteeg taking Jankowski's spot. Jankowski isn't going to be playing RW.

If we still had Engelland, Jankowski would be centering the fourth line with Brouwer and Stajan on his wings most likely

Last edited by CalgaryFan1988; 10-06-2017 at 12:28 PM.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2017, 12:37 PM   #67
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

honestly I would trade Bennett or Backlund for a top line RWer and give Janko the 3rd line center slot.

We really need to quit blaming our losses on the fourth line, they do their job fine...Flames have a MASSIVE hole on the right side

I realize this wont be a popular opinion but I think the team is stronger with a high end RWer on line one and Janko playing top 3 center....even with the deletion of a pretty darn good player. A team with the Flames track record shouldn't have so many untouchable players IMO.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:51 PM   #68
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
honestly I would trade Bennett or Backlund for a top line RWer and give Janko the 3rd line center slot.

We really need to quit blaming our losses on the fourth line, they do their job fine...Flames have a MASSIVE hole on the right side

I realize this wont be a popular opinion but I think the team is stronger with a high end RWer on line one and Janko playing top 3 center....even with the deletion of a pretty darn good player. A team with the Flames track record shouldn't have so many untouchable players IMO.
Well what RWer are you looking for?
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:10 PM   #69
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Would it have to be a right shot winger?
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:16 PM   #70
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

There are a lot of problems on the Flames roster right now, most of them stem from Brouwer to be frank.

I wouldn't trade Bennett until Backlund is re-signed (if they are going to re-sign him). Trading Backlund won't happen until the trade deadline, if they are out of the playoff picture (Imo). Bennett isn't ready for that #2 centre spot and it's too big of a risk to trade Bennett with Backlund potentially leaving via free agency.

Jagr is a band-aid.

Ferland is essentially going to be the 1st line Rwer 5 on 5 and Jagr will replace him on the powerplay. It's not ideal, but it will get them through the season.

Brouwer is a marginal upgrade on Lazar for 3 or 4 times the price. He needs to go.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:39 PM   #71
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that at least 2 of the following 5 players will traded by the end of 2017:

Stajan
Lazar
Ferland
Jankowski
Brouwer
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:52 PM   #72
CF84
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
The problem is both of these guys are equally as ineffective as the other. For some reason Stajan is on a long leash because he scored one big playoff goal 4 years ago. If these guys are playing significant minutes this year, the Flames are in big trouble.
Stajan was our best forward for the first 15-20 games last year. He played with fire and looked like one of the only players who cared. He is a fine 4th line centre who gets crapped on for having a cap hit that is too large.
CF84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CF84 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2017, 02:46 PM   #73
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF84 View Post
Stajan was our best forward for the first 15-20 games last year. He played with fire and looked like one of the only players who cared. He is a fine 4th line centre who gets crapped on for having a cap hit that is too large.
Unfortunately 15 games doesn't make for a successful season in most aspects of the NHL game that requires 82 games to be played at a high level.

Most of the playoff teams around the league now leverage players on the younger side of the spectrum as a 4th line centers instead of employing players merely playing out there careers. Stajan doesn't do anything better than younger players in the Flames organization could do if they were given the opportunity. The only reason he's still here is because of his cap hit.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 10-06-2017 at 02:48 PM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 02:51 PM   #74
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Brouwer will be traded at the deadline.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:53 PM   #75
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

What's Taylor Hall's contract? I always thought he'd make a great Flame and can play on the right side with Johnny and Mony. I know many peeps puke at that idea but I think he'd shine bright here.

NM just checked....so 2 yrs left at $6M cap hit...yikes

Last edited by Stanley; 10-06-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:04 PM   #76
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Unfortunately 15 games doesn't make for a successful season in most aspects of the NHL game that requires 82 games to be played at a high level.

Most of the playoff teams around the league now leverage players on the younger side of the spectrum as a 4th line centers instead of employing players merely playing out there careers. Stajan doesn't do anything better than younger players in the Flames organization could do if they were given the opportunity. The only reason he's still here is because of his cap hit.
Stajan was, until last year, the best Flame in the faceoff dot. Last year he was second to Monahan by a small amount. Only those two guys were above 50%.

He's also an expert in making the most of the skill-set he has, to accept the role the team gives him and to work hard to accomplish that. He's not big, but he plays as physical as any centre on the team, and more than anyone who's not a Hathaway or Glass type. There's something to be said for that. He also centred a way better fourth line last year when he wasn't given Bollig on the wing.

I agree that if his legs aren't up to the C position, he'd still make a better winger for Jankowski than almost any other guy available for the role.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2017, 03:09 PM   #77
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
His signing thread:

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=155448

HERO charts: 1 - eye test: 0
So rather than point out all the cringeworthy garbage and usual nonsense directed at anything that even resembles analytics, props to Ashasx, who called it right away and didn't soften his predictions...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I would not be surprised if we are seriously talking buyout in 2 seasons.

This is like re-signing Glencross to a 4 year deal instead of trading him 2 years ago.

I honestly think this is the worst contract so far today.
When I saw this thread the first thing I did was go and calculate the buyout. 1.5M in cap for four years. That's awful. It still might be worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
+1 for the advanced stats guys. Can't believe anyone actually thought that was a good signing at the time, let alone a great one like some people said.
Soooooooo... about Michael Stone...
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2017, 03:12 PM   #78
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
What's Taylor Hall's contract? I always thought he'd make a great Flame and can play on the right side with Johnny and Mony. I know many peeps puke at that idea but I think he'd shine bright here.

NM just checked....so 2 yrs left at $6M cap hit...yikes
Has he ever played RW?
Old 10-06-2017, 03:20 PM   #79
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of the RWs in the league there are handful that no team would trade for Backlund (much less the still a work in progress Bennett) and a bunch where we'd lose that trade.

You don't get Kane, Marchand, Laine, Kucherov, Tarasenko, Ovie, or maybe even Wheeler. I don't think you get Radulov or Pastrnak. So would you trade Backs for Granlund? Atkinson? Kessel? Much lower down the list and you are actually losing point production in addition to losing your best checking centre.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:23 PM   #80
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Simmonds!