Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-11-2017, 11:53 AM   #101
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Of course it's the fault of Sears they didn't stay current, adapt or die.
How many mid-range retailers are doing well these days? Sears, the Bay, Old Navy, the Gap, J.C. Penney, Marks and Spencer - all in their death-throes. Not much you can do if your whole segment collapses. Sears wasn't going to beat Wal-Mart at Wal-Mart's game, or beat Amazon at theirs. Hard to imagine them transitioning into a luxury brand, either.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 10-11-2017 at 12:00 PM.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:07 PM   #102
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
How many mid-range retailers are doing well these days? Sears, the Bay, J.C. Penney, Macy's, Marks and Spencer - all in their death-throes. Not much you can do if your whole segment collapses. Sears wasn't going to beat Wal-Mart at Wal-Mart's game, or beat Amazon at theirs. Hard to imagine them transitioning into a luxury brand, either.
I think what the Bay is doing well is that it knew that it was unique and created a usable online shopping experience. They can cater to a market that nobody quite fills yet with mid to high end goods. There are likely other reasons relating to their real-estate profile; I was shocked to see them in Amsterdam sitting on a very nice piece of property.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:08 PM   #103
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Death of Mid-Range Department Stores

Quote:
But is it a good thing that modest, nice retail is slowly but surely being replaced by either expensive, luxury retail or discount wares? According to Brendan Duke, an economic policy analyst at the Center for American Progress, the polarization of the industry is a warning of a coming crisis of the middle class.

“These companies are doing what companies do — they adjust, ” he says. “But the issue isn’t that only the very top and the very bottom are doing well. The issue is that there’s shrinking middle class consumption.”
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2017, 12:31 PM   #104
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
At one time they were more then a trusted name, they were a retail icon. I can't tell you how many people would wait for that Christmas Catalog, and either every small towner would make the long drive to a major city. Or they'd fill in the order page on the back, tear it out, write a check, put it in the envelope and mail it off knowing that they'd get their bundle in 6 to 8 weeks.

They lost their market place because they refused to move out of the 60's.

At one time they had probably the most buying power of any retailer in the country, but they were pretty arrogant about that.

I remember getting that catalog and going to the massive toys section, I bought my first Star Wars figures from Sears, and my parents ordered the bucket o lego.

Then you'd look at the sporting goods section for the hockey gear and you'd circle the picture of the Bauer 501 Bobby Orr specials and tell your dad that you wanted him, and the old man would say "I hope you have the $25.00 cause that's a lot of money". Can you imagine now premium hockey skates for $25.00 today?

Then the parents left the room you'd wait a minute and flip over the ladies section to see the woman in what was probably sexy back then, bullet bra's and granny panties.

Once you were done, you'd take the spring and Christmas Catalogs and tape em to your legs and go out and play goal

"Ladies and Gentle, starting for the Philadelphia Flyers . . . Bernie Parent"

Yeah, that's great and all, but the consumer moved on from catalogues and department stores, Sears did not. They were left in the dust, their reputation and trusted name nothing but a story parents and grandparents tell on Christmas Eve. And hockey forums.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2017, 01:12 PM   #105
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
How many mid-range retailers are doing well these days? Old Navy, the Gap,
In the US, Old Navy makes more revenue than the Gap and Banana Republic combined and is the discount retailer out of the chain.

They seem a tired brand in Canada however. We seem to be a little more fashion conscious hence the explosion of H&Ms which also serve the discount market but with an upmarket appearance.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:15 PM   #106
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I think what the Bay is doing well is that it knew that it was unique and created a usable online shopping experience. They can cater to a market that nobody quite fills yet with mid to high end goods. There are likely other reasons relating to their real-estate profile; I was shocked to see them in Amsterdam sitting on a very nice piece of property.
HBC is a different beast as they own Saks Fifth Avenue, Lord & Taylor, Home Outfitters, and bought a bunch German, Belgian, and Dutch department stores recently which were all dying (their version of Sears?). They are slowly transitioning upmarket like Nordstrom. I wonder if shedding Zellers was good for them as they have mall anchors in places where luxury doesn't work.

I guess in Canada there is also Simons. What is that? A French Canadian Bay that is a little more up-market and more fashion focused?
Old 10-12-2017, 04:59 AM   #107
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
In the US, Old Navy makes more revenue than the Gap and Banana Republic combined and is the discount retailer out of the chain.

They seem a tired brand in Canada however. We seem to be a little more fashion conscious hence the explosion of H&Ms which also serve the discount market but with an upmarket appearance.
Unless they've changed it, Old Navy's branding is very American. H&M, of course, is European. That probably makes a big difference to how the brand is perceived in Canada vs. in the USA.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2017, 11:47 AM   #108
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Unless they've changed it, Old Navy's branding is very American. H&M, of course, is European. That probably makes a big difference to how the brand is perceived in Canada vs. in the USA.
This is a huge component of Canadian marketing.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:38 PM   #109
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofpucks View Post
Went to the deerfoot meadows store today. Rumour was the cashiers all came in and quit at the same time in the morning. It was a complete gong show. No sales people were available on the floor and it was getting out of hand around noon. Big seller seemed to be Dyson vacuums. Lots of folks sitting off couches holding them as people shopped. 40% off accessories and 20% off appliances and furniture, so not really a great deal in the grand scheme of things.
Sounds like a normal Sears shopping experience.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Deegee For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 01:56 PM   #110
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://globalnews.ca/news/3598469/s...ement-bonuses/

No severance being offered to any Sears employees , but of course 9 million in bonuses being paid out this year. How disgusting.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2017, 04:28 PM   #111
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post

No severance being offered to any Sears employees , but of course 9 million in bonuses being paid out this year. How disgusting.
No coverage on extended warranties already purchased either.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:15 PM   #112
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It was a bad design to have the food court at one end, it pretty much means people don't go to the other end where the corpse of Sears is.

Winners just opened a big new store @ Northhill where K-Mart used to be (who remembers that?) and its pretty busy.

Maybe they should go the Northland/Deerfoot Route and just un-enclose the mall.
Kmart was in Brentwood Mall which was and still is the worst mall in Calgary. It was where Zellers was. Northhill at one time had the best bowling alley, best movie theatre and a top 3 arcade in Calgary!
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:27 PM   #113
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post

They need to give out retention bonuses to managers or things will go to #### with people leaving for new jobs.

I don't know the law regarding severances for companies going bankrupt. Maybe they are not allowed to give severance if they owe money to creditors?

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:26 PM   #114
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Kmart was in Brentwood Mall which was and still is the worst mall in Calgary. It was where Zellers was. Northhill at one time had the best bowling alley, best movie theatre and a top 3 arcade in Calgary!
Was that a Zellers in the middle of North Hill? My childhood memory must be failing me. The only thing I remember was buying a HE-MAN accessory pack there.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:33 PM   #115
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
They need to give out retention bonuses to managers or things will go to #### with people leaving for new jobs.

I don't know the law regarding severances for companies going bankrupt. Maybe they are not allowed to give severance if they owe money to creditors?

At this point don’t they bring in another company to run the liquidation sales?
Old 10-16-2017, 06:37 PM   #116
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Was that a Zellers in the middle of North Hill? My childhood memory must be failing me. The only thing I remember was buying a HE-MAN accessory pack there.
Yup. Next to the Safeway in the middle of the mall.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:40 PM   #117
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Looks like Sears Canada is gonna die

Are you thinking of Market Mall?
Old 10-16-2017, 06:43 PM   #118
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Are you thinking of Market Mall?
Market mall? No it was Northhill. At end of the mall by the food court where the Safeway is now was Super Value. It was weird for such a small mall to have 2 big groceries stores in it.

I did spend alot of time at the woodwards in Market mall too though.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:04 PM   #119
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Market mall? No it was Northhill. At end of the mall by the food court where the Safeway is now was Super Value. It was weird for such a small mall to have 2 big groceries stores in it.

I did spend alot of time at the woodwards in Market mall too though.
What was the grocery store @ Market? My childhood memory says "Food Floor" or something like that. Was that part of Woodwards?
Old 10-16-2017, 07:26 PM   #120
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

I knew that Sears had struggled to make the transition to accommodating the modern shopper but the sheer ineptitude was surprising.

Nevermind that they don't email you when an online order is shipped, out of stock or cancelled (and if they do its weeks later).

Or maybe just ignore the fact that when it's delivered to a pickup location, zero notification will be made.

It's probably seeing the use of paper, pen and hand written notes to keep track of which orders have arrived and/or been picked up that's just shown me the reality of just how far behind they are.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote