Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-16-2019, 11:32 AM   #3161
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
a huge chunk of Roger's physical and emotional reserve was spent wrestling down Rafa on Friday. the fact that he was even in position to finish Djoker off with just one more shot is a lot more than many here were predicting. but for me this is like watching the Flames be up a goal with 5 seconds to go in game 7, only to get scored on and lose in triple OT. except without having a bar full of other fans to drink and share the moping with.
With more time to think, I'm even more disappointed on how he lost. The racquet change is a big part of turning things around on Rafa, but so has a change in approach. This point in the 2017 AO Final, at 25 seconds in, shows what changed. In the past, Roger will absolutely be coming to net, and inevitably, he'd get passed. But he finally learned that he can, in fact, out rally Rafa.

The Wimbledon match against Nadal this year was the same. Roger dialed back the net aggressiveness because it's a recipe for disaster, and because he knows he can (and recently will) out rally Rafa. He didn't he a great approach at 40-30, yet he was already pre-commited to coming in. Why he didn't trust himself to win a rally in that situation, I'll never know. I get wanting to apply the pressure, but it's Novak Djokovic, not Kevin Anderson. It was a lapse in judgement, and it cost him dearly.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:42 AM   #3162
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
He didn't he a great approach at 40-30, yet he was already pre-commited to coming in. Why he didn't trust himself to win a rally in that situation, I'll never know. I get wanting to apply the pressure, but it's Novak Djokovic, not Kevin Anderson. It was a lapse in judgement, and it cost him dearly.
He didn't hit a great forehand on the preceding point (looked like a nervy stroke) so I guess he figured if he applied the pressure, maybe he could force an error out of Djoker or at worse a return that he could volley for a winner. I think you just gotta tip your hat to Novak, he hit a great passing shot in a pressure situation.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:19 PM   #3163
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol

https://twitter.com/user/status/1151111043793530887
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2019, 08:18 AM   #3164
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vasek Pospisil and Peter Polansky are also playing at the Gatineau Challenger event this week, but a nice win for Alexis knocking the top seed out of the tourney.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1151495090512244736
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2019, 09:13 AM   #3165
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
The Wimbledon match against Nadal this year was the same. Roger dialed back the net aggressiveness because it's a recipe for disaster, and because he knows he can (and recently will) out rally Rafa. He didn't he a great approach at 40-30, yet he was already pre-commited to coming in. Why he didn't trust himself to win a rally in that situation, I'll never know. I get wanting to apply the pressure, but it's Novak Djokovic, not Kevin Anderson. It was a lapse in judgement, and it cost him dearly.
without looking at the official numbers, I'm going to assume Fed's long rally winning percentage against Djoker was below what he was getting against Rafa. I remember his net point conversion rate was pretty high throughout, so he decided to play the higher percentage, hoping that his mediocre approach shot wouldn't result in a perfect pass (which of course it did).

it's just amazing how a couple of inches left or right of the racquet/ball, or a 10th of a second different timing on the one serve, return, etc. has utterly changed tennis history. I think both players realized that which is why their reaction right afterwards looked a lot more like shellshock than the regular celebration/despair.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:32 AM   #3166
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was a frosty reception after that match, especially given how epic it was. They are not friends like Federer and Nadal. I think Federer hates losing to Novak more than anyone else.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:24 PM   #3167
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Federer hates losing period. It wasn't a warm handshake with Nadal in 08 euther

Old 07-17-2019, 02:18 PM   #3168
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
There was a frosty reception after that match, especially given how epic it was. They are not friends like Federer and Nadal. I think Federer hates losing to Novak more than anyone else.
Rafa hasn't exactly been all smiles and hugs with each successive major that Djoker has took from him either. of the 3, only Djoker seems to be able to put on a friendly face after defeat.

without the Serb-bot, Roger and Rafa are probably in a race for 27+ majors each. that's either incredibly awesome or incredibly terrible depending on who you're a fan of.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:36 PM   #3169
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Rafa hasn't exactly been all smiles and hugs with each successive major that Djoker has took from him either. of the 3, only Djoker seems to be able to put on a friendly face after defeat.

without the Serb-bot, Roger and Rafa are probably in a race for 27+ majors each. that's either incredibly awesome or incredibly terrible depending on who you're a fan of.
Of course I wasn’t saying Rafa is all smiles after a loss, all 3 of them hate losing that’s why they each have the major total as they do. Someone like Zverev seems to accept losing and not fight for it at Grand Slams.

If Nadal never played tennis, Federer would have won 11 straight majors, which I think that would have killed men’s tennis. It would have taken away any excitement for the sport because you would know who was going to win. Even Federer fans would get bored knowing he was going to win and not be challenged. It’s why so many people cheer against Nadal at the French because he has dominated that major they want someone else to win.

As much as it hurts when your favorite loses against another big 3 member, all 3 needed each other in their careers and all 3 have incredible wins over their rivals.

Federer beat Djokovic at the French Open in 2011 semi finals, and Nadal at the 2017 AO
Nadal beat Federer at Wimbledon 08 and Djokovic at the 2013 French Open semi final
Djokovic beat Federer at this years Wimbledon final and Nadal at their epic AO final

For me anyways, those loses by Nadal made his victories so much sweeter. I don’t think I celebrated any Grand Slam as much as his 2017 US Open title. The reason was I remembered those horrible defeats to Fognini and Pouille, compared to him winning his 9th French Open title it was just more of the same.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:53 PM   #3170
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Serb bot is actually incredible, well done Jack.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:43 PM   #3171
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1151546354369323008
Old 07-18-2019, 08:23 AM   #3172
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
She's going to be the flag bearer for Romania at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. You have to think a lot of tennis players will do the same: Federer, Rafa, Novak, Murray?, Serena, Del Potro, Nishikori, Tsitsipas, Thiem, Barty.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:48 AM   #3173
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
She's going to be the flag bearer for Romania at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. You have to think a lot of tennis players will do the same: Federer, Rafa, Novak, Murray?, Serena, Del Potro, Nishikori, Tsitsipas, Thiem, Barty.
don't forget Felix carrying the maple leaf for the next 3 summer olympics too...

I still remember Fed crashing and burning against James Blake in Beijing 11 years ago; I was certain that was the end of his olympic participation. for next year, he should plan his entire schedule around peaking for Tokyo to try and complete that last missing piece of the trophy case.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2019, 09:02 AM   #3174
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
don't forget Felix carrying the maple leaf for the next 3 summer olympics too...

I still remember Fed crashing and burning against James Blake in Beijing 11 years ago; I was certain that was the end of his olympic participation. for next year, he should plan his entire schedule around peaking for Tokyo to try and complete that last missing piece of the trophy case.
After winning back to back Wimbledon's in 2022 and 2023 he pretty much has to! I have a feeling Canada will also go far in doubles if Milos and Vasek play as a team.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:09 AM   #3175
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
After winning back to back Wimbledon's calendar slams in 2022 and 2023 he pretty much has to! I have a feeling Canada will also go far in doubles if Milos and Vasek play as a team.
fyp
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2019, 09:11 AM   #3176
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know fellas, I can easily see Brooke Henderson carrying the maple leaf in Tokyo (Andre de Grasse would also be a very good choice). No need to put any additional pressure on Felix, besides he's young and will have plenty of chances in the future.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:16 PM   #3177
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't necessarily agree but very interesting way of breaking down the most exciting men's grand slam finals in history. For me Rafa vs Roger 08 is still the better match given that all 5 sets were competitive and the tie breakers were better.

Old 07-18-2019, 12:23 PM   #3178
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fifth set was probably the best set ever in terms of drama and excitement, but the rest was kinda bizarre. I also understand this isn't calling it the greatest match ever, because it's hard for it to be that when the winner had a whopping two more winners than errors. Just shows that the Serb Bot can overcome even a lackluster performance, relatively speaking.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:36 PM   #3179
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

so based on the list, Djokovic is the goat of exciting wins and Federer is the goat of exciting losses? someone should bring that up at the next press conference and see what the reaction is.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:51 PM   #3180
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

3 of the 4 semi-finals spots at the ITF women's event in Gatineau are occupied by Canadians...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1152416719065014272
Closed Thread