Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-12-2018, 09:29 PM   #2001
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Honestly think the best deal out there for a premium phone will be a used iPhone X. I got mine last year and it was a buggy POS until iOS 12 beta released and with the efficiencies in the OS I feel like this is where the software should have been last year.

I like mine a lot right now and it has plenty of speed. Going to pass this year, but if people are on a 6S or 7, I would grab a X if the sale is right.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:39 AM   #2002
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

What’s a good price for the X and where does one find one?

I’m not paying the price for new.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:50 AM   #2003
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keep your eye out I guess? They discontinued the X.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:35 AM   #2004
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

why does Apple sell refurbs in Canada for everything but iPhones? and I'm not talking about those shady refurbs on Amazon.ca, I mean the official ones with new battery and casing on apple.com/ca
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:58 AM   #2005
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
why does Apple sell refurbs in Canada for everything but iPhones? and I'm not talking about those shady refurbs on Amazon.ca, I mean the official ones with new battery and casing on apple.com/ca
Do they sell refurbs in the US? I know they give out refurbished phones as replacements under AppleCare. They might not have any surplus to sell.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:00 AM   #2006
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
I bought a refurb iPhone on Amazon. You can't tell it from brand new, it was a bargain and it came with warranty? What's the concern?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:38 AM   #2007
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Any time we don't have access to something a company sells elsewhere, I assume it's the government's fault (ours or theirs). There must be some kid of import restrict on used goods or some stupid tariff that makes it not worth their time.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:51 AM   #2008
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Do they sell refurbs in the US? I know they give out refurbished phones as replacements under AppleCare. They might not have any surplus to sell.
a lot more options on US site:
https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals

vs Canadian site:
https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/browse/home/specialdeals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I bought a refurb iPhone on Amazon. You can't tell it from brand new, it was a bargain and it came with warranty? What's the concern?
the reviews on Amazon make it seem like a bit of a gamble. many people get something almost indistinguishable from new (like you), many get one with a few quirks or imperfections, and some unlucky bastards get a total lemon. it's a 3rd party doing the refurb and who knows if they're actually replacing any of the battery, casing, glass, connectors, etc.

I've bought two refurbs (not iPhones) from Apple directly and they are 100% indistinguishable from new, aside from some tiny writing on the box that says it's refurb. even the guys at the Apple store say that most of the time they're not returned items, but rather brand new ones that didn't pass final inspection and so went back into the hopper for adjustment, but cannot technically be sold as new.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:15 PM   #2009
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
At some point people are going to realize these prices are getting insane, and stop paying Apple for them, right? Right???!! Sigh.
It depends on what type of person you are. Some people love shiny new things and need the latest and greatest phone. For them it's pretty insane to keep paying these premiums. If you get one with a plan and keep it for years it's not so bad. My iPhone 6S plus has been so good for me that I think I can easily go until 2020 or later without replacing makes the initial cost not so bad spread over 5 years. Resale is so good with Apple phones that no matter how old they are they are always worth selling because you will get some money back.

The problem with phone manufacturers is that there's not much room to improve them so the incentive to upgrade is lower than it's ever been. I'm not sure if making phones cheaper will change that.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 09-13-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2018, 08:51 AM   #2010
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
What’s a good price for the X and where does one find one?

I’m not paying the price for new.
Well mine was 1200+ new for 64gb.

So not sure what good deal is in range but if you see one for $600-700 I would grab it. That isn’t a steal like a $300 iPhone but it is solid value I think compared to a XS.

Not sure what market will bare however
Old 09-14-2018, 05:11 PM   #2011
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I ended up preordering a 64GB XS with Rogers. I'm a year removed from being on a contract so they're locking me up for another 2. I paid $429 if anyone is wondering what they're going for with a contract.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2018, 04:26 PM   #2012
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I ended up preordering a 64GB XS with Rogers. I'm a year removed from being on a contract so they're locking me up for another 2. I paid $429 if anyone is wondering what they're going for with a contract.
How much a month do they charge you for service? I am wondering if they would make me drop my $60/mo 10GB plan if I did this next year.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:05 PM   #2013
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
How much a month do they charge you for service? I am wondering if they would make me drop my $60/mo 10GB plan if I did this next year.
For that promo pricing I believe you need an ultra plan so $150 a month. I could be wrong however.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:05 PM   #2014
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

That’s approx. $100 more that’s BYOD plan from some providers. I guess it might be almost a wash depending on you preferences and whatnot.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:29 PM   #2015
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
That’s approx. $100 more that’s BYOD plan from some providers. I guess it might be almost a wash depending on you preferences and whatnot.
Well my iPhone X was $1300 new, and I pay $60 for 10GB. So about $2700/2 years

Even better I got a family member the $37.50/mo for 12GB from freedom for their iphone 8 plus. About $1900/ 2 years

Getting a XS for $500 and paying $150 for 10GB is $3600 . So $4100/2 years.

That sounds crazy!
Old 09-17-2018, 09:45 AM   #2016
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I pre-ordered two Apple 4 watches - one with GPS and one with GPS + LTE. I'm not really sure which one to keep. Is having LTE on a watch worth the extra $130 plus $10/month? I don't really talk on my phone or text. The only thing I'd be using my watch for would be in the gym (maybe sync Audible books and stream Spotify over wireless), use it for Apple Pay, just as a normal watch. I can't seem to find any use case that makes the extra cost worth it.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:27 AM   #2017
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I was going to pre-order one for my wife but there's a pretty long wait time, I might just try my luck at getting one in a store... I'm probably fooling myself there'll be lineups or some nonsense won't there...
Old 09-17-2018, 04:03 PM   #2018
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
I pre-ordered two Apple 4 watches - one with GPS and one with GPS + LTE. I'm not really sure which one to keep. Is having LTE on a watch worth the extra $130 plus $10/month? I don't really talk on my phone or text. The only thing I'd be using my watch for would be in the gym (maybe sync Audible books and stream Spotify over wireless), use it for Apple Pay, just as a normal watch. I can't seem to find any use case that makes the extra cost worth it.
I ordered the GPS + LTE only because I wanted stainless steel and there's no other option. I'm not sure if I'll activate the LTE. I'm never far from my phone so I don't see it being useful either.

I got in right when they went on sale but I'm still waiting for my order to process. Is your order stalled too?
Old 09-17-2018, 10:16 PM   #2019
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I ordered the GPS + LTE only because I wanted stainless steel and there's no other option. I'm not sure if I'll activate the LTE. I'm never far from my phone so I don't see it being useful either.

I got in right when they went on sale but I'm still waiting for my order to process. Is your order stalled too?
Thanks for the feedback. I may just cancel the LTE version. I wanted stainless steel without the LTE but Apple didn't have that configuration for the series 4. The stainless steel with GPS and LTE was a bit out of my affordability range so I went with the aluminum instead.

My order still says processing but I placed it only a few days ago. I have a shipping time of the first week of October so I'm not expecting the status to change any time soon.

Are these watches available for viewing at the Apple stores right now?
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:38 PM   #2020
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I may just cancel the LTE version. I wanted stainless steel without the LTE but Apple didn't have that configuration for the series 4. The stainless steel with GPS and LTE was a bit out of my affordability range so I went with the aluminum instead.

My order still says processing but I placed it only a few days ago. I have a shipping time of the first week of October so I'm not expecting the status to change any time soon.

Are these watches available for viewing at the Apple stores right now?
They’ll be available on Friday.