Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-26-2011, 07:58 AM   #201
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

One question for everyone who has a maestro hooked to harmony when I turn on my components for the last week or so the maestro hasn't been turning the lights off withouth hitting the help button. Maybe I just need to re load the codes again to make sure they are done right
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:48 AM   #202
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Okay, I'm pretty much done with my set up so here are the final pics.

This screen is up and it looks fantastic.

I have my HDMI cable to my projector and rear speaker wires routed through the ceiling. On their way from the receiver to the access in the wall before going up they were visible along the baseboard for about 2' so I made this little sleeve to keep things tidy.

Projector:

Projector & rear speakers:

And again:

And finally:

Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2011, 09:51 AM   #203
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Nice! Where'd you get those cabinets below the screen?
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:08 AM   #204
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Thanks. They're from Ikea and they were actually really cheap. I bought two of them for $129 each and just pushed them together.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:33 AM   #205
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

About time silver! Can I have your jukebox/drywall!
Old 01-27-2011, 10:55 AM   #206
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

haha dream on dude! That jukebox has been in my family for 33 years (my dad bought it when I was one). There's the oldest, weirdest music on that thing that I would never have on my iPod, but I'll listen to it all day long on the rockola.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:25 AM   #207
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thats awesome it looks good back there! You set up looks nice glad you are happy with the purchase!
Old 01-27-2011, 11:28 AM   #208
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

So why did you settle on putting the rear speakers where you did? Looks like you have posts on either side of your couch. I'm assuming you just wanted to back them up a bit and not have them right beside you?

Nice setup man, I really like that. I want to do pretty much the same thing. It must sound incredible.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:39 AM   #209
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Thanks guys.

GoinAllTheWay - Yeah you pretty much nailed it. I have the speakers back further than right beside me because it sounds a little better that way. I've always found that not many movies utililize rear speakers, though. I think it adds such a killer dimension they should quintuple the amount they use it.

I can add speakers right beside me (I'm not sure what that's called, but my amp is set up to allow speakers in between the rears and the fronts). My only reservation is if movie makers don't utilize the rear speakers much, I'm sure they won't even bother with those middle ones. For the time and expense I'm not sure it would be worth it. Has anybody done that?

Aside from the middle speakers, I would like another sub behind me (kinda where the jukebox is). If one sub is good, two must be twice as good.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #210
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Are you runing 5.1 or 7.1?
Old 01-27-2011, 11:49 AM   #211
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I'm running 5.1 now.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:16 PM   #212
JohnnyNipshank
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I have the 7.1 setup and you are definitely right that most movie makers don't utilize it but the ones that do really make it worth it. It seems that with that set up, the speakers between the fronts and the rears are usually playing the music tracks while the backs and fronts handle everything else but this is when my receiver fakes the 7.1 but when i actually played a real 7.1 blu ray and heard that THX test at the beginning of the movie like the theatre does i was blown away. I guess if you have an extra couple speakers or can borrow some hook them up and then slap in Kick Ass, The Expendables, Shoot Em Up, The Doors etc and see if you like it before you buy a good set and mount them. If your a weeds fan seasons 2-5 is 7.1 for whatever reason hahaha
Old 01-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #213
JohnnyNipshank
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Here is the site i use when looking at blu-ray stats if anyone was looking for one
Blu Ray Stats

Old 01-27-2011, 12:27 PM   #214
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyNipshank View Post
I have the 7.1 setup and you are definitely right that most movie makers don't utilize it but the ones that do really make it worth it. It seems that with that set up, the speakers between the fronts and the rears are usually playing the music tracks while the backs and fronts handle everything else but this is when my receiver fakes the 7.1 but when i actually played a real 7.1 blu ray and heard that THX test at the beginning of the movie like the theatre does i was blown away. I guess if you have an extra couple speakers or can borrow some hook them up and then slap in Kick Ass, The Expendables, Shoot Em Up, The Doors etc and see if you like it before you buy a good set and mount them. If your a weeds fan seasons 2-5 is 7.1 for whatever reason hahaha
Aaaaannnnnnnnnnd I'm sold. Okay, I guess I'll make this happen. Thanks dude, that sounds cool. Plus I've only seen the first season of Weeds so now I also have something to watch, which is perfect.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:32 PM   #215
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

One down side is if you are watching football and you are working on something in your basement close to one of the side speakers all you hear is crowd noise. Positive note you can hear those fans yell F U refs very clearly compared to if you were just mashed the voices and sounds together in 5.1. I find my cheapo reciever fakes 7.1 pretty well so I am guessing any decent newer reciever should be able to nail it as well
Old 01-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #216
JohnnyNipshank
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Hahaha thanks fundmark i totally forgot about that. Yah i have had this happen with a number of different sports but football is always the clearest. The best was when some hammered chick must have been damn close to the mic as we could hear her yelling at the refs, her husband/bf and fans around her. Pretty sure they gave her the boot tho cuz i didn't hear anything after the 2nd half.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:50 PM   #217
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It scared me. I was putting in the plumbing for my sink in the wet bar and all I hear is F**** you ref and I was like to my buddy where did that come from and then realised it was the crowd noise. Also a car commercial came on and was playing soft back ground music and it also startled me because the music started playing randomly as I was connecting the pipes and made me jump
Old 01-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #218
Danijam
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyNipshank View Post
If your a weeds fan seasons 2-5 is 7.1 for whatever reason hahaha
Maybe because stoners watch weeds.
Danijam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:35 AM   #219
JohnnyNipshank
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Noooooo really? Im shocked hahaha. Hey Fundmark I looked at your equipment and im running a onkyo 7.1 system too. I know for real 7.1 i use the "Multichannel" setting but when faking it what have you found to work the best? I usually use the Neo6
Old 01-28-2011, 09:56 AM   #220
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Johnny,

I have no idea! I am useless when it comes to recievers. I just finally used the mic to set them up! I will have to check this weekend and play around. If you use Neo6 I am going to try it! This could be the reason why my speakers have been so quiet except for the fronts.