Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-12-2019, 03:49 PM   #61
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

But there are pitchers who can hit and those are worth the money. Like Woodruff last season in the playoffs. Or watching Colon go deep. Madbum. There are still some out there who can hit and I will shed a tear the day that they are extinct.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:30 PM   #62
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
But there are pitchers who can hit and those are worth the money. Like Woodruff last season in the playoffs. Or watching Colon go deep. Madbum. There are still some out there who can hit and I will shed a tear the day that they are extinct.
Shohei Ohtani seems like a glaring omission on that list AND he plays in the AL where they have the DH.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:52 PM   #63
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Haha. Wow, you are correct. How did I forget the Asian Bambino
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brocoli For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2019, 02:57 PM   #64
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Bruce Bochy will retire after 2019.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:33 AM   #65
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1097909714153811968
Old 02-19-2019, 10:33 AM   #66
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Machado signs with the Padres.

10 years, $300 million.

Yowza.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:45 AM   #67
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a Yankees fan... the Machado signing with San Diego is a big "phew!!"
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JBR For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2019, 12:00 PM   #68
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Machado signs with the Padres.

10 years, $300 million.

Yowza.
Absurd.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:58 PM   #69
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

So he will play 3rd base there with Tatis coming in to play SS I guess?

Machado is a pretty good player.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:43 PM   #70
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Machado is damn good but that contract given to that lazy a player sure pisses good management down the drain. I give it 4 seasons before they regret it. A team with great prospects chooses to build around a guy with a laissez faire attitude. Not sure that was the best move here.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:59 PM   #71
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Machado is damn good but that contract given to that lazy a player sure pisses good management down the drain. I give it 4 seasons before they regret it. A team with great prospects chooses to build around a guy with a laissez faire attitude. Not sure that was the best move here.
Dude is 26 and he has 175 home runs and a career WAR of 33.8. Four All-Star selections, 2 Gold Gloves.

I think he cares enough.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2019, 06:35 PM   #72
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a really interesting contract because of his opt out after year five. Makes it hard to trade him before then since the buying team has no idea if he'll stay past year five. That said, I give him a 0% chance of finishing that contract in San Diego, the Dodgers or Yankees will trade for him at some point during the deal.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:57 PM   #73
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Dude is 26 and he has 175 home runs and a career WAR of 33.8. Four All-Star selections, 2 Gold Gloves.

I think he cares enough.

No doubt he's talented, but talent will only take you so far after you sign a huge deal. After that it's how much he wants to work now that he's earned that massive contract. There was never disputing his talent (and I'm sure to a large degree his work ethic to get to that point). The question has always been his wanting it though to hustle. I guess we'll see.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:12 PM   #74
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
No doubt he's talented, but talent will only take you so far after you sign a huge deal. After that it's how much he wants to work now that he's earned that massive contract. There was never disputing his talent (and I'm sure to a large degree his work ethic to get to that point). The question has always been his wanting it though to hustle. I guess we'll see.
You can't just talent your way to 33.8 WAR. If he doesn't run out ground balls for a team that got him as a rental, who cares. If on his way down to first he pulls a hammy and now he's an injury risk. Is an MLB team gonna go 'sorry, we know you hustle, here's $300M anyway?'. Of course not. They'll say 'sorry, your hamstring is wonky. We know you're going to have 200 home runs before you're 28 playing world class defense at a key position, but.... how does 2 years $30M grab you, Manny?"

Look at Donaldson. Guy plays balls to the wall every time he touches the field, and what does that get the former MVP? 1 year, $23M from Atlanta. And while I'm usually a guy who argues the difference between 77M and 88M is ultimately academic, this last year probably cost Donaldson $100M if not more. That ain't nothing.

These owners will look for every reason to not give a guy money. Good on Manny for actually getting some blood from that stone.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 02-19-2019 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Wrong team for Donaldson
Old 02-19-2019, 07:24 PM   #75
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Every year these teams prove that teams can't control themselves. Hosmer and Machado can grow old together into a lush comfy retirement in San Diego.

But what is the Pardee ownership supposed to do. Not spend money and keep losing? At least this way they can claim that they are making an effort to get better.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:31 PM   #76
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Every year these teams prove that teams can't control themselves. Hosmer and Machado can grow old together into a lush comfy retirement in San Diego.

But what is the Pardee ownership supposed to do. Not spend money and keep losing? At least this way they can claim that they are making an effort to get better.
MLB teams make an offensive amount of money, and choose not to redirect it into players that can help their on field product. The league needs a salary cap so it can avoid the embarrassment of a John Tavares level free agent not having a team by spring training.

Harper should've been a day 1 signing. A 6 time All Star, MVP who's 26. "He wants too much money". No, you want too much money, Billionaire. You sit in your cave atop a mountain of gold demanding everyone take less for the good of the team. Except you, the guy with three commas in his net worth.

Imagine Sidney Crosby being unsigned in September because he wants what's his. Laughable. And they call themselves a professional sport.

And while I'm all fired up, it's a joke what the Jays are going to do with Vlad Jr. Start him opening day. When he hits free agency a year earlier, PAY HIM.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 02-19-2019 at 07:35 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2019, 08:19 PM   #77
Dube
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
MLB teams make an offensive amount of money, and choose not to redirect it into players that can help their on field product. The league needs a salary cap so it can avoid the embarrassment of a John Tavares level free agent not having a team by spring training.

Harper should've been a day 1 signing. A 6 time All Star, MVP who's 26. "He wants too much money". No, you want too much money, Billionaire. You sit in your cave atop a mountain of gold demanding everyone take less for the good of the team. Except you, the guy with three commas in his net worth.

Imagine Sidney Crosby being unsigned in September because he wants what's his. Laughable. And they call themselves a professional sport.

And while I'm all fired up, it's a joke what the Jays are going to do with Vlad Jr. Start him opening day. When he hits free agency a year earlier, PAY HIM.
It’s all about control. Jays are smart not playing JR.
Dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:42 PM   #78
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:

That's more of a CBA issue. It's way too valuable for teams to put that guy in the minors for one more team control year.

Harper isn't Crosby...he's won nothing in his career. He'd be more like a really inconsistent Ovechkin...and with character concerns. There is no cap on the term or dollars he can sign for like there is in the NHL. So he can make crazy demands and let some team come in at the end and make a regrettable decision

Baseball needs a bit of a revolution to get young players in the league early and getting more money while they are producing as opposed to collecting after they proved themselves.

Most any year if you analyze the worst contracts in Baseball....they were given out by mid or smaller market teams trying to pay an Aston Martin price to buy a Corvette that's 3 years old with hard milage on it.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:16 PM   #79
droopydrew19
Safari Stan

Exp:

Quote:
Look at Donaldson. Guy plays balls to the wall every time he touches the field, and what does that get the former MVP? 1 year, $23M from St Louis.
Braves
droopydrew19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to droopydrew19 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2019, 09:25 PM   #80
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
That's more of a CBA issue. It's way too valuable for teams to put that guy in the minors for one more team control year.

Harper isn't Crosby...he's won nothing in his career. He'd be more like a really inconsistent Ovechkin...and with character concerns. There is no cap on the term or dollars he can sign for like there is in the NHL. So he can make crazy demands and let some team come in at the end and make a regrettable decision

Baseball needs a bit of a revolution to get young players in the league early and getting more money while they are producing as opposed to collecting after they proved themselves.

Most any year if you analyze the worst contracts in Baseball....they were given out by mid or smaller market teams trying to pay an Aston Martin price to buy a Corvette that's 3 years old with hard milage on it.
Harper is a 26 year old MVP. Sure he's not Crosby, but he's at least Stamkos.

Yes, free agency always doles out bad contracts. That's the point of owning a sports team. To pay athletes stupid money for fun. And a 26 year old MVP with no major injuries is not an beat to #### Corvette. Harper is as good a player as you can ask for in that situation. The other choice is to make free agency earlier, if paying 26 year olds is too big a risk.

A work stoppage is in the cards. 100 legitimate major league players are unsigned as camp opens. That's shameful.