Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-30-2018, 08:47 PM   #41
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Who is 22 on the Raptors? He’s terrible.
Malachi Richardson, who they got in exchange for Bruno. He's only seeing court time because FVV is out and Delon is injured, but otherwise would be on the G-league team.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:41 PM   #42
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Am I already in love with Kawhi? I think I am.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:35 PM   #43
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seriously. I hope Kawhi falls in love with T.O. I think they way this team is rolling out the gate I can see them push for multiple finals appearances with a title sprinkled in if he signs with the raps for like 5 years.

But the dour realist in me sees Kawhi's performance as his ticket to go home and get the huge payday. so the compromise should be they win the title this year.

Whatever. just enjoy this ride as it's been fun to read how amazing he has been. Go Raps!
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:11 PM   #44
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Seriously. I hope Kawhi falls in love with T.O. I think they way this team is rolling out the gate I can see them push for multiple finals appearances with a title sprinkled in if he signs with the raps for like 5 years.

But the dour realist in me sees Kawhi's performance as his ticket to go home and get the huge payday. so the compromise should be they win the title this year.

Whatever. just enjoy this ride as it's been fun to read how amazing he has been. Go Raps!
I think Kawhi is getting a max contract regardless. If the Raps can make the finals I can see him signing long term. But who knows what he wants.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:14 PM   #45
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Raps at least have Bird's rights so they can offer one more year than anyone else. LeBron signing with the Lakers helped eliminate one possible destination, so realistically it's probably the Raps and the Clippers. I wonder if after years of slogging through the West, if a year playing in the JV conference might help keep Kawhi. Always nice to have an easier path and less work (see: LeBron).
Old 10-31-2018, 05:25 PM   #46
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

While I'm not familiar with all the details in the NBA cap system, regardless if he wants to stay or go, I think he gets max contract through a sign and trade. Toronto always tries to be the nice guy to have a good reputation with the rest of the league, though they tend to get back little or nothing. In years past, I thought it was ridiculous, but in this case because those players didn't give you a fair shake and they should have been treated like crap going out. In this case though if Kawhi plays hard, you do him a favor and do a sign and trade for his healthy 1 year service at years end. When all is said and done, I think he'll give them a serious consideration when he gets to know the city and vibe over the course of a year.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:53 PM   #47
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

This may sound silly, but I think the weather will be a big block. I think the team, the conference they play in, the Lakers being out and Toronto as a world class city would all be enough to change Kawhi's mind.

Unlike the Blue Jays though, he'll spend the majority of his year in anywhere from cold to frigid temps, and for a Cali boy I believe that'll be enough to seek something down south.

I know Demar is an example, but he was drafted here and spent enough time to become accustomed to it before he could have left. Kawhi's here for a year and can go a few places. Hopefully the lack of suitors keeps him here. It would be so incredible for this franchise to get a max length contract.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2018, 10:14 PM   #48
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
This may sound silly, but I think the weather will be a big block. I think the team, the conference they play in, the Lakers being out and Toronto as a world class city would all be enough to change Kawhi's mind.
Keep in mind that last year when he was avoiding the Spurs and rehabbing, he chose to spend most of the winter in New York. Toronto isn't that much worse than NY when it comes to winter weather. Both get their share of winter storms, both have warm spells. When Toronto hosted the all-star game it was viciously cold for that whole weekend, and that apparently affected a lot of opinions on Toronto's weather.

I think it'll come down to basketball. This is a team that's really well-suited for Kawhi's attributes and style of play, and I think if they can get to the finals with him, he'll stay. ECF, it's a toss-up. First or second-round elimination, he probably leaves.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2018, 12:02 PM   #49
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I have to say, this guy(Leonard)is the equivalent of Gretzky going to LA in the 80s. They have sign him as he will move the NBA into the mainstream of sports in Canada. Personally, I have not watched any basketball since Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, and KAJ retired.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 03:31 PM   #50
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ not quite the same. Gretzky was the best player by far in the league, in a city where the sport wasn't established. He was quiet but the media hyped him up. The Raps had Vince Carter already and he was by far a crazy draw back in 2002. Nothing will top that time for the Raps. The franchise is now almost 25 years old, so a player like Leonard isn't going to grow the sport overnight in Canada. Winning consistently year after year will. It will be important for them to lock the guy up but also getting the younger guys signed will be as much of a challenge as this team is based around depth.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 03:49 PM   #51
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
^ not quite the same. Gretzky was the best player by far in the league, in a city where the sport wasn't established. He was quiet but the media hyped him up. The Raps had Vince Carter already and he was by far a crazy draw back in 2002. Nothing will top that time for the Raps. The franchise is now almost 25 years old, so a player like Leonard isn't going to grow the sport overnight in Canada. Winning consistently year after year will. It will be important for them to lock the guy up but also getting the younger guys signed will be as much of a challenge as this team is based around depth.
Well, they just exercised their options on OG and Siakam a few days ago, so that's a good start.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2018, 06:52 PM   #52
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

No Leonard tonight apparently.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:59 PM   #53
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ibaka!!!! Just abusing the Lakers!
Old 11-04-2018, 08:06 PM   #54
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw it on TheScore app and had to check nba.com to see if it was legitimately 41-12 in the first quarter lmao
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:02 PM   #55
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seeing as he looked dead at the end of last year, Ibaka certainly has found the fountain of youth. If he plays at even 90% of the level he's played to start the year when we get to the playoffs, the Raps have a real chance to beat the Warriors.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:52 PM   #56
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is Leonard back tonight?
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:11 PM   #57
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

No Leonard. Lowry looking good, and WOW is Siakam fast
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:58 PM   #58
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Raptors now 10-1. No Leonard? No problem!
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:12 PM   #59
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Jamal Murray tied the record for points by a Canadian with 48 tonight
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:54 PM   #60
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The last two nights are why it was always going to be impossible for the Raps to blow it up after last year. Even if they traded Lowry they'd still be a playoff team. This might be top to bottom the best roster in the NBA, so deep and so very many options. And Siakam's development has truly been something great, he's not quite a borderline star, but he's certainly extremely valuable.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 11-06-2018 at 07:48 AM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote