Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-11-2019, 11:09 AM   #761
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Yeah this is what's kept me from playing Nier: Automata. Everyone is like "Yeah the first playthrough I thought it was just okay, it's the FOURTH playthrough where things get crazy!"

Ehhhh... I know it's part of the story and that particular designer's schtick to play with the medium in that way, just doesn't sound like it's for me.
To give some perspective, the first two playthroughs of Nier Automata are largely the same, yes. The stories do vary quite a bit in places, because of the different perspective you play through the game with. It's from that point that the game moves on with new story and areas, and it's extremely different from the first two playthroughs. For me to get all the major endings took about 40 hours. I never felt like it was too repetitive at any point.

The last two endings are just variations on the final sequence of the game and don't require any more than reloading your last save before the final sequence. It's not as onerous as some make it sound, which only sounds like that because they're desperately trying to avoid spoiling any tiny bit of the experience of that game. It's pretty unique and interesting, so rather than you not playing, it's better to give this bit of info.

Last edited by Mazrim; 02-11-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:18 AM   #762
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Nier, at least, does this by design rather than as little more than a lazy way to make a game seem longer. Even so, I only got part way through path C on that one. Noped out at that idiotic sequence where 2B is poisoned and you have to shuffle through a shifting maze of enemies. After an hour of dying on it, I put the game away and moved on.

The worst offenders are JRPGs like Trails of Cold Steel or Final Fantasy Type-0 where you have to play two or three times to get all story line elements. Or the Atelier games that are increasingly expecting you to replay games twice with different protagonists.

Last edited by Resolute 14; 02-11-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:34 PM   #763
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Noped out at that idiotic sequence where 2B is poisoned and you have to shuffle through a shifting maze of enemies. After an hour of dying on it, I put the game away and moved on.
This took me a few tries too but I found that I could position myself with patience to avoid getting hit into the pits. Lots of waiting around (the game gives you lots of time) for ideal patterns, though. Definitely the most annoying part of the entire game.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:55 PM   #764
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I was following guides to the letter, and still got caught. Don't have time for crap like that. Which is a shame, because it is a great game otherwise. I kept thinking of going back and trying again too, but once you're out of a game, there's too much other good stuff to bother going back in.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:58 AM   #765
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Your (rather significant, given where you stopped) loss.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2019, 12:26 PM   #766
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't remember that part of Nier being that hard. Maybe try turning down the difficulty for that part and trying again?

I feel like Nier Automata is as close to a must play game as there is. It's not my favourite game of all time or anything, but the entire experience is definitely unique. Highest possible recommended to anyone who hasn't played it.

I think the only video game I would rank higher on the 'must be played' list is Last of Us.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:05 PM   #767
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

any Civ fans out there? new expansion should be out tonight @ 10pm Calgary time. Can't wait to build be some good old Canadian hockey rinks!
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:43 PM   #768
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
any Civ fans out there? new expansion should be out tonight @ 10pm Calgary time. Can't wait to build be some good old Canadian hockey rinks!
I'd like to but not for $53. I'll wait until it's on sale for cheap.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:59 PM   #769
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2019, 07:21 AM   #770
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
I don't remember that part of Nier being that hard. Maybe try turning down the difficulty for that part and trying again?

I feel like Nier Automata is as close to a must play game as there is. It's not my favourite game of all time or anything, but the entire experience is definitely unique. Highest possible recommended to anyone who hasn't played it.

I think the only video game I would rank higher on the 'must be played' list is Last of Us.
Neir is a game that you either love or you wonder what the hype was about. I almost always finish games I purchase but I quit before finishing the first playthrough. Didn't like the controls and the combat was tedious, repetitive and the weird Japanese story didn't resonate with me. To me it seemed like a B release than a game everyone should play.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2019, 09:12 AM   #771
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
It's not the difficulty, it's that for most people, the most intuitive route isn't the one that's (apparently) intended. So you end up banging your head against the wall and wondering what you're supposed to be doing. Sounds like in your case, what the devs intended you to do just came naturally, in which case yeah you'd be going "I don't see what the big deal is". Took me something like an hour to figure out how to do it.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 01:57 AM   #772
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

So Anthem appears to be a total letdown. As I figured from my brief time in the beta, combat is fun but absolutely nothing else about the game is

https://www.pcgamer.com/anthem-review/

So glad I cancelled my pre-order
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:31 AM   #773
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah it's not sounding super engaging, particularly for us primarily single-player gamers. I imagine we'll see some final reviews later in the week, but I'm not gonna drop $80 on another game I have to wait for them to make fun.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:32 AM   #774
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Speaking of multiple playthroughs currently replaying RDR2 but this time being a bastard. It’s seriously difficult to keep my honour low, random things keep bringing it up. Constant murder of travelers and their horses does a hell of a job though. Curious to see how it impacts the character interactions and the such.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:51 AM   #775
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I'll give anthem a chance just because I already have origin access and don't have to pay anything more to play it. But after the beta I'm not too hyped

Last edited by btimbit; 02-17-2019 at 06:34 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 05:59 PM   #776
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I normally don't buy fighter games but I am in on Tekken 7 because you can be Negan.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:55 PM   #777
DigitalCarpenter
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
So Anthem appears to be a total letdown. As I figured from my brief time in the beta, combat is fun but absolutely nothing else about the game is

https://www.pcgamer.com/anthem-review/

So glad I cancelled my pre-order
I am in early release and the game is amazing. I love everything about it.

There are some irritating bugs that will need to be ironed out. However this game is fun right now, there is a tonne to do story wise besides the main quest line. I love that the item system actually requires some thought as well.'

I am primarily a solo player, if you want to play like that you can, just turn off voice chat and treat the other players like NPC's in the missions and you'll do fine.

Last edited by DigitalCarpenter; 02-17-2019 at 11:10 PM.
DigitalCarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:07 AM   #778
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Between Apex and Anthem there has actually been a lot to do on Origin this weekend.

I'm not sure how awful Anthem's beta was, but the pre-launch Access version is pretty fun, and intensely well optimized.

Seems like it would be a Borderlands-style blast to play with 3 other people too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:28 AM   #779
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Between Apex and Anthem there has actually been a lot to do on Origin this weekend.

I'm not sure how awful Anthem's beta was, but the pre-launch Access version is pretty fun, and intensely well optimized.

Seems like it would be a Borderlands-style blast to play with 3 other people too.
It was real awful. In fact, I'd argue they'd have been better off not releasing a "demo" at all. I played the demo on my laptop and despite it exceeding the specs the game ran like butts and I encountered numerous issues (like infinite loading bugs) that forced me to give up playing the game entirely after one mission.

Having said that, a friend of mine gifted me an Origin Access trial and I've played a bunch on my actual desktop. It's not a fair comparison since the specs are so different but it's running fairly well. I have read that a bunch of people are still running into crashes and infinite loading bugs.

I still think the game is terrible. It's not overly engaging and all the powers you have fall flat for me since the enemies are essentially cardboard stands waiting to be shot. I played with a couple friends as well and we all thought the game was super easy on the hardest difficulty. I don't like the fact that you have to reach level 30 to get a challenge. However, the AI is dumb as a post and all the post 30 difficulty options are simply going to add more HP and damage.

I would highly suggest people wait for them to patch this game and see where it ends up in a year's time.

In contrast, the Division 2 beta I played a week ago was a lot more fun. I am not sure I'll get it but the game felt more alive. Enemies yell things at you and to each other. Even on the easiest difficulty they take cover and try to flank/push you.

If I were looking for one of these games I'd probably go with the Division... or I'd go back to Destiny 2.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:43 AM   #780
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone getting "Division 2"? I was thinking of picking it up for the PC since online play will be free (I'm assuming). I figured you need PSN or XBox Live for the online components if you go console.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Meelapo For This Useful Post: