Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2017, 06:57 PM   #21
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 01-31-2017, 07:55 AM   #22
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
That's easy.

Starting at 4:15:
Twins!
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:09 AM   #23
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Star Trek Beyond in 4K UHD Blu-ray with HDR enabled. Simply stunning.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:28 AM   #24
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would think the beginning of Into Darkness would be a much better showcase with all that colour.

"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:54 AM   #25
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2017, 03:59 PM   #26
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is this really a thing? People putting on a scene from a movie to showcase their setup?

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2017, 04:33 PM   #27
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Erick, I'm going to guess you watch 4K Blu-Rays on your XBOX One S, yeah? Because I swear every native 4K player is $500+, and the One S can be bought for 300 bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 04:49 PM   #28
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
Is this really a thing? People putting on a scene from a movie to showcase their setup?
We have a lot of ex Soundsaround employees on CP.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2017, 07:06 PM   #29
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
I can't speak for everyone, but it seems pretty normal to me to want to test out new equipment even just for yourself. And I certainly wouldn't find it weird if one of my friends who is into home theaters wanted to demonstrate his new setup if he'd just bought it.

You make it sound as if you think people are forcing unwilling guests to endure a demonstration. Or that they're selling tickets to people to come over and see their home theater set up.

Seems like a lot more fun then just hitting the test tone button and listening to the buzzing sound come out of each speaker individually or looking at the colour palate test on a movie or video game.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:28 AM   #30
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Erick, I'm going to guess you watch 4K Blu-Rays on your XBOX One S, yeah? Because I swear every native 4K player is $500+, and the One S can be bought for 300 bucks.
Yep.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:49 AM   #31
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Sony missed some sales there IMO, I'd rather buy some flavour of PS4 to have a 4K player than a Xbox One S.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:34 AM   #32
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
You make it sound as if you think people are forcing unwilling guests to endure a demonstration. Or that they're selling tickets to people to come over and see their home theater set up.
Is that what it sounded like? lol Maybe you should setup another home theater demonstration...

How you came to that conclusion is mind bottling. The OP seems to be doing this on a regular basis and is in need of new material.

I had no idea that people need to showoff their media in a 1-5 minute intervals. I too have a nice setup, but I have never once, ever, displayed it's full power for all to bask in. If I did, their heads would explode.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2017, 10:11 AM   #33
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is that what it sounded like? lol Maybe you should setup another home theater demonstration...

How you came to that conclusion is mind bottling. The OP seems to be doing this on a regular basis and is in need of new material.

I had no idea that people need to showoff their media in a 1-5 minute intervals. I too have a nice setup, but I have never once, ever, displayed it's full power for all to bask in. If I did, their heads would explode.
As the OP, it is both for me. Overall, the best enjoyment of a nice setup is to actually enjoy the nice set up; you know, to watch it and enjoy it. As a family and even with the teenagers and their specific groups of friends, they will often sit long term and enjoy and watch.

However, when friends come over with their kids, we don't get 2 hours to sit and watch a show or hockey game uninterrupted. The idea of 1-5 minute demos is like listening to a song that you really like through a great sound system; you want to hear the whole album but you only have enough uninterrupted time to listen to one song or a couple of songs from different artists. Guests (all the time) want to see and hear something that will blow them away in small bite sized chunks because that is all the time that they can commit to.

Hence, my request for a "greatest hits" of audio and video greatness. Selfishly, I also wanted some new scenes/movies for myself too!

Thanks to everyone for their awesome suggestions so far!

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:38 AM   #34
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Sony missed some sales there IMO, I'd rather buy some flavour of PS4 to have a 4K player than a Xbox One S.
On the plus side, Pioneer is finally releasing 2 native 4K Blu-Ray drives for PC at the end of Feb (in Japan), so they should be trickling in to the NA market soon. Hopefully at a sub-$300 price point.

Quote:
Old 02-01-2017, 10:47 AM   #35
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

I use the opening sequence of Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey. It's great visually and the score is incredible.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2017, 11:42 AM   #36
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

I would say there is a 75% chance someone walking into my TV room will remark on my home theatre. Probably 75% of those people ask specifically if they can see what a movie looks like on it.

For people under 25 that figure is closer to 100%.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:45 PM   #37
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I can understand why they left it out of the regular PS4 but IMO it was a major miscalculation to omit it from the PS4 Pro. Xbox One S is a better multimedia device so really if you want a console for the 4K player it's the better choice.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:50 PM   #38
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
On the plus side, Pioneer is finally releasing 2 native 4K Blu-Ray drives for PC at the end of Feb (in Japan), so they should be trickling in to the NA market soon. Hopefully at a sub-$300 price point.
There is so little content right now I haven't even bothered to get into 4k Blu rays. There are like maybe 50 releases on amazon that you can actually buy right now and many of them don't stand out that I'd care for the higher fidelity. And similar to the original Blu ray releases back in the day, these releases will get re-released again shortly for higher bit rate and encoding anyhow.

It'll be a few years yet.

Last edited by chemgear; 02-01-2017 at 12:52 PM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:58 PM   #39
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
There is so little content right now I haven't even bothered to get into 4k Blu rays. There are like maybe 50 releases on amazon that you can actually buy right now and many of them don't stand out that I'd care for the higher fidelity. And similar to the original Blu ray releases back in the day, these releases will get re-released again shortly for higher bit rate and encoding anyhow.

It'll be a few years yet.
Well, Planet Earth II has a slated 4K Blu-Ray HDR-enabled release for later this year. I'm pretty much buying the drive just for that

Quote:
Old 02-01-2017, 01:06 PM   #40
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Well, Planet Earth II has a slated 4K Blu-Ray HDR-enabled release for later this year. I'm pretty much buying the drive just for that
plz 2 post about 4k drives when you're getting ready to buy one kthx.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#lookatme , better is better , i spent loot dammit! , show off , wow!