Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2016, 01:40 PM   #1
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Android box or Kodi

I'm considering getting one of these and have some questions for folks who have either or are in the know.

I understand that they get their content as torrents. Is it legal? Someone has told me that they are but also that current movies are available so I think I've been misled, no? I'm not interested in illegal stuff.

Is one better than the other?

Is The Man in the High Castle available? It's only on Amazon Prime and it's a show I really want but I don't want to subscribe.

Is set up and use easy? I can figure out most things but if it's hard then I've found someone who will sell and install an Android box.

I imagine that you need a box for each TV??? If so this wouldn't be a bid deal for me as I'd probably only use it on one TV anyway.

For those who have these, has it allowed you to get rid of cable or Netflix? I'm not concerned with Netflix (due to being usable on multiple TVs and mobile devices) but cable is annoying and expensive. Mostly expensive.

Can I get CFL football, events like the world juniors and NHL games?

Do you need unlimited data?

That's a lot of questions so I'll stop now. Thanks for any advice.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 01:55 PM   #2
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

And a question of mine that i just posted to the wrong forum:
Will it work on a samsung galaxy tab E android 5.0 lollipop?
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 04:53 PM   #3
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not really Android box or Kodi. Kodi can be installed on your Android box.
Almost exclusively not from torrents, but any of the content people are talking about is, at minimum, grey area if not absolutely illegal.
This is the way I approach it:
If I stream something that is readily available on free TV (anything on OTA) I am 100% on solid moral if not legal ground. Example: When I watch Hell's Kitchen on Kodi, I'm good because I can watch it free OTA. When I watch GOT, I cross the line, because I do not subscribe to HBO. So watching High Castle without subscription to Amazon Prime crosses the line, but can you watch it on Kodi? Absolutely.
Kodi itself is absolutely legal. There are literally hundreds of completely legal addons to stream content. However, almost all of the popular addons people use are not these ones. With respect to the law, it is not yet exactly illegal to stream content you have not paid for. It is absolutely illegal to share bits of that content (torrent). So while currently they will not come after you for streaming content that includes movies and specialty TV, there is no question it is on the wrong side of the moral issue, if not legal issues. So absolutely, you can watch TSN content (CFL, World Juniors) it is not legal to do so.

I probably just confused you

Last edited by EldrickOnIce; 12-30-2016 at 06:00 PM.
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2016, 07:22 PM   #4
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Kodi is a media player app that can be installed on android, windows or Linux systems. You can also put it on jail broke apple devices. Now within Kodi there are numerous add ons that can be used to access live and/or recorded content. There are other forums that might be more useful for explaining everything. I like no-issue. They are based out of Calgary.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2016, 07:59 PM   #5
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
I probably just confused you

Are you paying the content makers for the content?

You are probably right, it's wrong. Though it happens to not be "illegal".
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2016, 10:18 PM   #6
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post

Are you paying the content makers for the content?

You are probably right, it's wrong. Though it happens to not be "illegal".
In some cases I am. In some cases I'm not. In some cases I don't feel like I need to.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:12 PM   #7
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is unlimited data required?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 01:04 PM   #8
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Data depends on usage, of course. When we had 200 GB it pushed it. We switched to unlimited.

Just FYI, you can install Kodi on Mac or PC by download from their site, or on any Android device directly from the Play Store. This might be a good way to play around with it a bit and decide if it is for you, before spending any money on a stand alone box.

Last edited by EldrickOnIce; 01-02-2017 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:11 PM   #9
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I'm considering getting one of these and have some questions for folks who have either or are in the know.

I understand that they get their content as torrents. Is it legal? Someone has told me that they are but also that current movies are available so I think I've been misled, no? I'm not interested in illegal stuff.

Is one better than the other?

Is The Man in the High Castle available? It's only on Amazon Prime and it's a show I really want but I don't want to subscribe.

Is set up and use easy? I can figure out most things but if it's hard then I've found someone who will sell and install an Android box.

I imagine that you need a box for each TV??? If so this wouldn't be a bid deal for me as I'd probably only use it on one TV anyway.

For those who have these, has it allowed you to get rid of cable or Netflix? I'm not concerned with Netflix (due to being usable on multiple TVs and mobile devices) but cable is annoying and expensive. Mostly expensive.

Can I get CFL football, events like the world juniors and NHL games?

Do you need unlimited data?

That's a lot of questions so I'll stop now. Thanks for any advice.
It is considered "grey" for the reasons below. Plus its devoid of commercials which is a primary revenue stream for the broadcasters. That said, there is very little action to slow or reduce the usage any more, since the megaupload fiasco years ago that almost crippled the streaming community (definitely altered it for the better though). Everything is free. I choose to pay for a Real Debrid account as well to provide me with better sources. I also have a cable account, and netflix, I feel it almost all washes out.

Is it easy? Well thats relative. There are a ton of step by step tutorials out there to set up and use repos in Kodi. The only one I really use is Exodus, it does everything I need, and I can get everything I want. There is a huge amount of repos out there, there are live TV ones (but usually full of international channels and some local), there are iffy sports ones which I find is the biggest downfall of streaming, which is why I still pay for cable. If you can follow clearly laid out instructions, you're set. If you can figure out the rest of the little things that make Kodi more user friendly (integrating a Trakt TV account, real debrid, etc), you have a sweet setup that keeps track of what you watch, when new episodes come on, etc. That said, the entire Kodi experience is still "nerd" based. Setting up or adding repos is still a bit convoluted.

You do need a box for each TV, they are standalone units. Because of that you'd need to spend the time setting up each box to be the same as the other so you have a consistent experience across the board. This is also where Trakt comes in, you can see what you've watched among all the boxes that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
And a question of mine that i just posted to the wrong forum:
Will it work on a samsung galaxy tab E android 5.0 lollipop?
Yes, it will. You can watch on the tablet fine, and there are ways to cast it to your TV via DNLA, chromecast or miracast, but that requires you to install Localcast and modify a line in a system file so the program opens localcast when you click on a stream. I found this to be cumbersome to use, alot of codec decoding issues (mostly a chromecast issue for me), and ultimately stopped using it for casting. To watch on the tablet it was good

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Is unlimited data required?
Not really, I watch primarily Kodi now and depending on the shows or streams I pick they're anywhere from 500mb to 3gb per show/movie/episode. My old internet account had a 250gb cap and I never touched it, and in the last week I've used 15gb. Its not as data intensive as Netflix UHD by far. You can definitely get and stream 8+GB files, but I have yet to see much advantage to it, even with my full theater audio and 4k TV. I'll maybe watch the 4GB movie file, but a 1080p 3.5gb version of a TV episode, vs. a 1.5gb version of the same episode is marginally different at best with the Marantz converting the audio and the TV upconverting.
Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aleks For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2017, 09:01 AM   #10
pria(kin)16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

A little bit OT but I recently got a slingbox (M2) and was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks. Really I'm just using it to replace the 2nd and third cable boxes in our house when we aren't watching the main TV. Thanks.
pria(kin)16 is offline   Reply With Quote