Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-15-2014, 01:54 PM   #21
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like I've been sucked into the Google ecosystem after always being weary of Apple's approach to sucking you into using all things Apple. But it sure is nice to have a Chromebook, and then to login to whoever's Chrome browser on whatever OS and have basically the same experience with all your settings and history, and all that. And to also have it on my Chrome browser phone, which is probably the best android browser now (depending on your phone I guess). Also hangouts extension on Chrome works so nicely with the Hangouts on phone. Chrome remote desktop is pretty slick too. Not to mention Chromecast... Ah, damn, I've been officially assimilated into feeding the beast that is Google!
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:32 PM   #22
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
We shouldn't have to but here's an add-on that moves the Reload Button to the left hand end of the Address bar. Seems to work well.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...sbar-improvem/
Thanks. That works better for sure. Would like to have it right out of the address bar, but it's getting better.
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:40 AM   #23
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

I use Firefox almost exclusively for both personal and business use (I'm a web applications developer). I use Chrome/Safari and IE to test, but otherwise don't really use them on a day to day basis.

For my professional needs, Firefox is a far better environment for testing and prototyping code. The built in toolkit is quite powerful and feature rich, and if you add Firebug into the mix, there is nothing you can't do.

For personal needs Firefox is likely the only browser I can grant my trust. It's the only major browser that isn't built by a large corporation with financial interest in my internet usage. This might not bother other people, but for me it's a significant concern that the top browser in North America is built by an advertising company who profits off user data.

As far as performance goes - I haven't noticed a difference between the two browsers for years. Honestly, outside of their respective corporate goals, there really isn't much different between Firefox and Chrome.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to llama64 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2014, 02:21 AM   #24
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodFetish View Post
I'm not a fan of the latest Firefox, either. Always searching for that damned refresh button.

Anyone try Opera recently?
I use opera regularly. I like it, but I'm not sure if you would like it for the same reasons.

I enjoy being able to close the browser and having all previously open tabs pop up again. I think you can do it in Chrome, but I haven't used Chrome in a year or so now and I believe its an advanced setting of some sort. On random occasion, I get some sort of printing error on opera. As in, it will show one thing on screen in print preview and something else will come out on the paper. This is mainly for spreadsheets and stuff, not basic things like google maps or emails. However, for that issue, I just dump the URL in chrome or FF and I'm good to go.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:27 AM   #25
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I only use Chrome for viewing YouTube. I have a Chrome extension that blocks all the ads and pre-loads the video, great for sketchy hotel WiFi.
Which add on is this?
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:49 AM   #26
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, it was called YouTube Options. Now I notice it's called SPOI Options and appears to have been discontinued due to some Play Store policy nonsense (presumably Thou shalt not make apps that make YouTube better by way of blocking our annoying ads), so sadly you'll need to find another extension (like Magic Actions for YouTube) or pay $1.99/month for the privilege of using said plugin sans video downloading.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:53 AM   #27
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

had to disable chrome alerts today using hte chrome flag thing in the address bar. words cannot express how disappointed i am with google. when they made chrome it was, as advertised, a slim, bare bones browser built for speed and not being intrusive. now its creating this thing on my task bar i have to edit out using the equivalent of a registry edit? shame on google.
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:37 AM   #28
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Firefox overhauled a bunch of stuff, and man, is it ever fast now.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2017, 08:43 AM   #29
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Firefox all the way. I find Chrome too bloated?
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:51 AM   #30
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Firefox 57 has gotten faster, but holy is it a memory hog and doesn't seem to release any memory once tabs are closed. I opened an Outlook webmail page, closed it, and Firefox still is holding in 5 separate tasks 565 megs of memory. WTF.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:15 AM   #31
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chrome is no better though. I'll see how it is after a few days of leaving stuff open. It usually ramps up to 2 GB at that point before I restart it. It is supposed to be better now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2017, 11:31 AM   #32
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

It also seemed to have lost support for my favourite addons - NoScript and FlashBlock; it seems like the developers are frustrated with some changes and might not be rewriting any of these for the new version of Firefox.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:37 PM   #33
Kerplunk
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Firefox updated on me today. Took one crack at it and reverted right back to an older version. The whole thing just felt....ugh.
Kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:02 PM   #34
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Firefox overhauled a bunch of stuff, and man, is it ever fast now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerplunk View Post
Firefox updated on me today. Took one crack at it and reverted right back to an older version. The whole thing just felt....ugh.
so is it good or bad
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:02 PM   #35
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Chrome's using like 4.5GB on my machine right now lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2017, 06:12 PM   #36
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure how it can "feel ugh". I put the tab bar back on the bottom where it is supposed to be, and it is basically the same, but faster, and supposedly uses less memory.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:43 PM   #37
Kerplunk
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Probably more of a personal preference thing. The re-skinning of the icons, changes in the layout, and how some of the menus look and function did not impress me. Moving the refresh out of the menu bar, for some reason, is more annoying than it should be. And some of my addons no longer worked, which was also not great.
Kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:45 PM   #38
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, hopefully the add-ons get updated, though I found almost all of my important ones worked.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:43 PM   #39
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it was quite a memory hog. At least the 64 bit version was using almost 600M for open tab. It did seem faster, but I have other stuff I need to run on my computer. I can’t have the browser taking up such a huge footprint. It’s back to Opera until that stuff gets fixed.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:00 AM   #40
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Chrome's using like 4.5GB on my machine right now lol.
As long as you don't need the memory for something else, I'd rather it kept as much cached as possible. If you've got it, use it; that'll be faster than re-downloading.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote