Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-14-2011, 08:00 AM   #41
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So one month in how has the gateway experience been for anyone who has switched?
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:05 AM   #42
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
I'll save the $600 to buy a few kegs and have a huge party when I can finally buy NHL games through an online provider and cancel my cable and remove Shaw's *&# from my #$% once and for all.

To think 3 years ago I was telling people that I would sign up with Shaw even though it cost a bit more for the exemplary customer service....
Why don't you use usvideo.org and hack your router for 5 bucks a month then get center ice. I am really considering canceling shaw once promo package ends this fall and just keep internet and set up a sling box at my parents house
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #43
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
So one month in how has the gateway experience been for anyone who has switched?
I want to know too. I am trying to decide between this and Optik.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:17 AM   #44
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

We just got it installed on Saturday. Haven't used it too much yet, but I do like it. The interface takes some getting used to and there are some quirks I think they could do better with, but overall, my experience has been pretty decent. They have bugs to work out for sure, but Shaw says that they are in constant contact with the firmware programmers and changes will happen quickly, as required.

I really don't think I could go back now to the basic PVR model. This will be fantastic once they get the bugs worked out and make things flow a little better. Not to mention the coming interface with your network and the ability (as they have stated, but not defined yet) to play back media from your computer.

My wife loves the ability as well to be able to watch a show from the bedroom that she has recorded, while I can watch something else in the living room, either recorded or live. Plus the 6 tuners rocks! We can record 5 things at the same time and watch something else live if we want. Try doing that with Optik.
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:42 AM   #45
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems like a really crappy deal, people with existing Shaw Hardware would have to buy or rent new hardware for every TV in the house plus the new Gateway hardware....

I will pass on this one.

They should allow folks to trade in all Digital boxes for 1 for 1 trade in.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:52 AM   #46
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
Seems like a really crappy deal, people with existing Shaw Hardware would have to buy or rent new hardware for every TV in the house plus the new Gateway hardware....

I will pass on this one.

I think any provider would do that with new services like this. I find Shaw to be pretty fair with their hardware policies tbh, especially when you consider you don't have to sign a contract with them. I bought a modem off of them years ago, I have taken it back several times to upgrade to new ones with no charage. They will give you a credit if you own your current PVR equipment towards the cost of a new one. The last tv package I signed up for, they gave me free HD box rental.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:18 PM   #47
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

I will pass on this one.

It's a whole new system. They have to get the money back somehow.

I got a portal for my HDPVR (straight up trade). They also gave me a $100 credit for my HD box and $55 a piece for each of my SD boxes. Not fantastic, but better than nothing I say.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:32 PM   #48
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:

I will pass on this one.

you don't have to upgrade, your existing boxes will continue to work just fine. would you expect your cell phone provider to give you a brand new phone free of charge because the newer model has a few more features?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2011, 12:57 PM   #49
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
you don't have to upgrade, your existing boxes will continue to work just fine. would you expect your cell phone provider to give you a brand new phone free of charge because the newer model has a few more features?
I spoke to the Rep. If you want to use a TV that is not connected to the Gateway to use the PVR feature. I was told the TV requires a "Portal". Basically the Digital boxes still work but they are not compatible with the new features.

Options are to trade in an HDPVR for a 1 Portal.

If you have 4 TVs

Buy Gateway ($598) - TV1
trade in HDPVR - TV2
Buy a new Portal - TV3
Buy a new Portal - TV4

(Approx $1K investment to switch over)

Shaw should allow the users to trade in the digital boxes for a new Portal. They are still going to sell the Gateway for $598.00.

By the way when I left Bell, Shaw provided this service... 1 for 1 trade in.

Last edited by flambers; 07-14-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:59 PM   #50
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I spoke to the Rep. If you want to use a TV that is not connected to the Gateway to use the PVR feature. I was told the TV requires a "Portal". Basically the Digital boxes still work but they are not compatible with the new features.

Options are to trade in an HDPVR for a 1 Portal.
Right, but what I think he meant was, no one has to upgrade or change to anything. Shaw customers can keep their current setup and it won't effect the way their PVR or any of their boxes work currently.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:08 PM   #51
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilKiller View Post
Right, but what I think he meant was, no one has to upgrade or change to anything. Shaw customers can keep their current setup and it won't effect the way their PVR or any of their boxes work currently.
What is the point of buying the Gateway if it won't work on the other TVs?

Kinda of the big feature I would think...
Old 07-14-2011, 01:13 PM   #52
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
If there is no advantage of being an existing Customer with Shaw, a person would probably switch to Telus rather than paying the bucks to buy the Gateway IMO
Old 07-14-2011, 01:15 PM   #53
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

hmm - glad I only rent my HDPVR then.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:22 PM   #54
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
What is the point of buying the Gateway if it won't work on the other TVs?

Kinda of the big feature I would think...
Because when you buy the gateway, you upgrade everything. Not buy the gateway and try to use existing boxes. You can't just do it halfway.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #55
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilKiller View Post
Because when you buy the gateway, you upgrade everything. Not buy the gateway and try to use existing boxes. You can't just do it halfway.
That is what I am saying its Gateway plus Portals to install the system.

If you have 3 TVs = Gateway ($598) + Portal ($160) + Portal ($160).
Old 07-14-2011, 03:13 PM   #56
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
That is what I am saying its Gateway plus Portals to install the system.

If you have 3 TVs = Gateway ($598) + Portal ($160) + Portal ($160).
I think we are talking about two things here. Basically I was referring to the inability to use existing hardware with the new gateway. All needs to be upgraded, so if one does not want to pay for full upgrades, then don't upgrade to the gateway.

I'm paying $17 a month for the gateway and portal and got another portal for trading in my HDPVR. I also got $210 worth of account credits when I traded in my other boxes.
The Following User Says Thank You to OilKiller For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2011, 04:58 PM   #57
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Given that the gateway box is DLNA, it would be customer friendly to allow any device that is DLNA compliant to interact with the gateway to view television/pvr from within an app on say an XBOX or a PS3 or an AppleTV.

Just good luck convincing someone that it would result in more retained revenue.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:24 PM   #58
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

This probably just means the TV guide for us "regular" HDPVR users is probably going to stick with the old interface with the horrible search feature.

All my wife wants is for her to hide channels we don't get.
Old Yeller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:24 PM   #59
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
If there is no advantage of being an existing Customer with Shaw, a person would probably switch to Telus rather than paying the bucks to buy the Gateway IMO
That is the spot I am in. I sat down and mapped out the same channels/Internet/phone and it came out to $152 Shaw vs. $142 a month on Telus.

However, you only get 25mbps Internet on Telus at that price. So I call it a wash, if not a bit of advantage to Shaw.

Where they lose big time is hardware. Telus you can get a Gateway for $250, on Shaw it is $600. On top of that Telus is offering a $234 credit for new sign ups.

After pricing this out over 2 years I determined I would save almost $1000 switching to Telus.

I can't see how Shaw's system is worth 1K more over 2 years. DLNA is not a big deal to me, I have a PS3 and network ready Blu Ray player. If I need DLNA for my 3rd TV, I will get Apple TV or some other $99 solution.

I am calling Shaw tomorrow and asking them how they expect to keep me as a customer when they aren't even competitive anymore.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:08 PM   #60
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
This probably just means the TV guide for us "regular" HDPVR users is probably going to stick with the old interface with the horrible search feature.

All my wife wants is for her to hide channels we don't get.
This, why is this so hard. I don't wanna look through a bunch of channels I don't have and I'm too damn lazy to customize it myself.
Raekwon is online now   Reply With Quote