Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
/\/\/\/\
biased

/spelling nazi

I am pumped about this development. I've been waiting some time for Shaw to do something like this. A PVR per tv never made much sense, central recording for playback on any connected TV makes far more sense. But as others have said, wait for them to get the bugs out of the equipment and I'll be in 100% for sure.

This it quite unexpected, I was talking to a Shaw rep about exactly this kind of thing a month or so ago and she said it was coming but was another year away. Fantastic news.
Shaw frontline staff are kept pretty much in the dark for any new tech or services being developed. they might get unofficial information from friends they might have who work on the engineering side, but there are never company memos sent out saying "this is what we're working on and when it will be released"
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2011, 12:59 PM   #22
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The new menu/guide is pretty slick IMO. I'm not going to say how I know, but I've seen this thing in development for quite a while.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:27 PM   #23
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was told about this a couple weeks ago and when I heard about the price I was pissed, then I realized the trade ins on my current boxes would make it very affordable.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:04 PM   #24
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

$600 is the minimum cost of this system.

The Gateway + one portal is $598, and you can't trade in for those. After you purchase the gateway+portal you can trade in your PVR's for portals for other TV's
oilyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oilyfan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2011, 04:16 PM   #25
old-fart
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based on what the pricing seems to be here Shaw's Cost of Acquisition for a TV customer just went through the roof.
old-fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:43 PM   #26
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

I ordered this today. They can't come to install it until June 13th.

This will have the ability to connect to you your PC and your PS3 or Xbox, even a NAS (like my Acer WHS) and has cablecard support. So awesome.

http://www.screenplaysmag.com/2010/1...dia-gateway-3/

And some highlights:

Media Link most likely through Windows Media Connect
  • Back end support for Flash/Actionscript, JavaScript, web applications, UI skins and 3rd party UIs, C++/OpenGL applications - This means the programming environment is very much open for us to explore.
    1. Potential for over 50 widgets and apps
    2. Dozen Flash Based Interactive games access via guide (some with PiP (Picture in Picture) view) Active
  • UPnP/DLNA compliant, DLNA 1.5 is based on DMP - Supports all major media codecs
    1. Photo: JPEG, GIF, BMP and PNG files
    2. Music: MP3, WMA, and AAC, and LPCM files
    3. Video: MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.264, and WMV files
  • Support for OTT (Over The Top) content/integration- Arris has partnerships with Flickr, Rhapsody and CinemaNow as examples to show future capability with the equipment

Last edited by Kjesse; 05-16-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:55 PM   #27
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guide still sucks. Look at all the wasted space. And lose the damn blue already.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:33 PM   #28
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Very curious which features Shaw will activate. Shaw has traditionally been very conservative in its roll outs.
oilyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:47 PM   #29
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
Guide still sucks. Look at all the wasted space. And lose the damn blue already.
I honestly dont care what color my guide is, but do you realize you can change that color?
Old 05-16-2011, 10:08 PM   #30
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

My point is that aesthetically it's not much of an improvement, and yes, I'm aware you change choose from many ugly colors.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:34 PM   #31
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Talked with a Shaw employee a couple of weeks ago that was beta testing it. Said it was pretty cool. Sounds like it might be a little buggy out the gate but expects to be fixed either before launch or shortly after (typical beta stuff).

edit: http://www.shaw.ca/Gateway/Features/

hmmm, looks like it's web enabled (under the coming soon section). Hopefully this paves the way for editing of pvr timers with a web interface or phone app.
Believe you me, this is a very big priority for my team. We are rabid about supporting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredr123 View Post
I can't imagine that kind of stuff wouldn't be added quickly out of the gate. I really wish I could have held off on the PVR purchase last year. Of course, there was no way of knowing then that this was coming down the pipe. Talk about good decisions with poor results...
Not out of the gate, but sooner than you might think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredr123 View Post
So someone I know who knows a lot about this stuff just mentioned that the Gateway was cobbled together in a hurry so there was something positive for Shaw to announce to shareholders. There are more well-thought-out products and services on the way in the next year or so that aren't a bunch of old hardware and buggy backends hacked together in a hurry.
I wouldn't say it's cobbled together. It's a box capable of very modern technology, but from what I understand there are some limitations in place because of agreements with arris. One of my goals is to convince people of the value of enabling many consumer devices as part of the customer experience.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:45 PM   #32
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Believe you me, this is a very big priority for my team. We are rabid about supporting it.

Not out of the gate, but sooner than you might think.

I wouldn't say it's cobbled together. It's a box capable of very modern technology, but from what I understand there are some limitations in place because of agreements with arris. One of my goals is to convince people of the value of enabling many consumer devices as part of the customer experience.
so has Arris gotten better in the hardware department? i don't remember seeing any Arris DCT's around when i still worked at Shaw, but i remember their DPT's (Digital Phone Terminal) being absolute crap when they were first introduced. i definitely wouldn't feel comfortable dropping that kind of cash at launch without knowing exactly just how reliable the device is
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:56 AM   #33
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if the Shaw techies will transfer my existing DVR content onto the new machine?
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:14 AM   #34
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
I wonder if the Shaw techies will transfer my existing DVR content onto the new machine?
I doubt it, just watch everything before you upgrade.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:06 AM   #35
Eagle Eye
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Have an appointment setup on June 18th. Looking forward to the new setup and hopefully most of the fancy features will be up and running soon.

I understand that it comes with a 500 GB hard drive and it has the capability to add up to 6TB, but my question is what type of external drive to I buy for it?
Eagle Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:11 AM   #36
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
Have an appointment setup on June 18th. Looking forward to the new setup and hopefully most of the fancy features will be up and running soon.

I understand that it comes with a 500 GB hard drive and it has the capability to add up to 6TB, but my question is what type of external drive to I buy for it?
From what I have read the 1TB PVR expander will work with this but they need to do an update first which is scheduled for around August.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:47 AM   #37
Eagle Eye
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So I can,t go to costco and but one of those 2TB external drives and just plug it in?
Eagle Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:11 AM   #38
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
so has Arris gotten better in the hardware department? i don't remember seeing any Arris DCT's around when i still worked at Shaw, but i remember their DPT's (Digital Phone Terminal) being absolute crap when they were first introduced. i definitely wouldn't feel comfortable dropping that kind of cash at launch without knowing exactly just how reliable the device is
It's based off of the Moxi, which has been pretty well received by the market in the US as far as I know.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:21 AM   #39
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
So I can,t go to costco and but one of those 2TB external drives and just plug it in?
I doubt it.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:21 AM   #40
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I'll save the $600 to buy a few kegs and have a huge party when I can finally buy NHL games through an online provider and cancel my cable and remove Shaw's *&# from my #$% once and for all.

To think 3 years ago I was telling people that I would sign up with Shaw even though it cost a bit more for the exemplary customer service....
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote