Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-18-2017, 04:09 PM   #1261
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Telus>>>>>>>>>Shaw.

I can't believe I switched for a year. Shaw can't compete with Telus anymore. Zero reason to be with Shaw unless they don't offer 150 in your area.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2017, 02:56 PM   #1262
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Ugh, the new Optik on the go app blows so friggin much.

They upgraded so many things and improved so many of the features but the layout is beyond horrendous. Just terrible. Interface when I finally find the show i want, after about 15 clicks, is great. But it's like they don't want people to watch what they want, only the crap that's featured. Everything is just a chore to find.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:52 PM   #1263
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I am looking at making the switch from Bell to Telus. Any "gotcha's" I should worry about? I was reading about the "Fast Forward disabled by broadcaster" message- some people say that is only if you rewind past where you started watching live. Anybody with that experience?

I often find a show, tune to it and then pause as I make breakfast. Then I can sit down and fast forward as I go.

Also, how is the range with the wireless boxes? I'm looking at getting one main box and 5 additional boxes.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:10 PM   #1264
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've only seen the 'skip disabled by broadcaster' when I restart a show that I didn't start watching.

The guide is fantastic and the mobile app allows you to record shows remotely.

I don't have wireless boxes, can't help you there.

I'm really happy with Telus. Can't see myself going back to Shaw.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:07 PM   #1265
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

wireless box has really good range. im watching on my upstairs bedroom, and the telus box is in basement utility room on other end of the house
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2018, 02:28 PM   #1266
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We put a wireless box the main bedroom.
Our little one is totally into Family Feud right now (IDK why), and with being able to rewind programs up to 24 hrs behind, we have Family Feud running all day.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:04 AM   #1267
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Anyone notice telus got rid of bundle discounts and introduced a points program?

My bill went up by $9/mth now that I don't get that discount.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:00 AM   #1268
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I noticed they got rid of the bundling, but had no idea about this points program.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:17 AM   #1269
InSutterWeTrust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I was with Telus for several years, really enjoyed their Optik TV, but I was having problems with the internet over the last year and could only get the 25mbps, even at that was still having issues. They dont have Fibre optik in my area. So I decided to make the switch to Shaw.

The internet with Shaw has been fantastic, I got the 150 and its well worth it, but I didn't realize that Shaw still doesn't have all HD channels yet! They don't have NFL Network, Peachtree, E! and a few others in HD. Can't believe in 2018 they still don't have these in HD yet. Telus is so far ahead in this area. Hopefully I move in the next few years to an area with Telus Fibre so I switch back to Telus.

InSutterWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:31 PM   #1270
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InSutterWeTrust View Post
I was with Telus for several years, really enjoyed their Optik TV, but I was having problems with the internet over the last year and could only get the 25mbps, even at that was still having issues. They dont have Fibre optik in my area. So I decided to make the switch to Shaw.

The internet with Shaw has been fantastic, I got the 150 and its well worth it, but I didn't realize that Shaw still doesn't have all HD channels yet! They don't have NFL Network, Peachtree, E! and a few others in HD. Can't believe in 2018 they still don't have these in HD yet. Telus is so far ahead in this area. Hopefully I move in the next few years to an area with Telus Fibre so I switch back to Telus.
Not to mention no MTV HD even though you can watch on demand in HD a day later #makesnosense

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Reneeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:21 PM   #1271
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Does anyone know if telus has good new-customer promos on now? Looking to switch my mom from Shaw to Telus.
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:22 PM   #1272
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNumbers View Post
Does anyone know if telus has good new-customer promos on now? Looking to switch my mom from Shaw to Telus.
Yes they do. PM for my offer

Reneeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:13 AM   #1273
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeee View Post

Sent you a PM, waiting for a response.
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 06:27 PM   #1274
CRXguy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeee View Post

I sent a PM too.

Thanks.
CRXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 06:48 PM   #1275
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Can someone PM the deal as well. Thanks!!
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:00 PM   #1276
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone had issues with the 4k PVR wireless box being glitchy on both live and recorded HDTV (not 4k)?

The wired box works amazingly, but the wireless one upstairs stops, starts, won't load recordings and generally acts like an Edmonton Oiler.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:07 PM   #1277
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Decided to cut the cord since I only ever watch hockey on cable anyway and there are cheaper options out there. Only to find out that apparently I'm in some service agreement and can't cancel until November without paying a fee. Had no idea cable had fixed terms like a cell phone contract now, not too happy about that.

The guy I talked too was helpful at least. Offered a few ways I could cut down my bill plus gave me a promo for the next 6 months of internet to kinda make up for it
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:54 AM   #1278
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Anyone had issues with the 4k PVR wireless box being glitchy on both live and recorded HDTV (not 4k)?

The wired box works amazingly, but the wireless one upstairs stops, starts, won't load recordings and generally acts like an Edmonton Oiler.
What happens if you put the wireless box where the wired one is? (Eliminating the wireless question.) Or can you unplug the box from power for a couple of hours? I had the opposite issue, a wired box was glitchy. So I took the one out of the spare room. Company came over and I put them back, and now the glitchy one is fine.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2019, 10:04 AM   #1279
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Decided to cut the cord since I only ever watch hockey on cable anyway and there are cheaper options out there. Only to find out that apparently I'm in some service agreement and can't cancel until November without paying a fee. Had no idea cable had fixed terms like a cell phone contract now, not too happy about that.

The guy I talked too was helpful at least. Offered a few ways I could cut down my bill plus gave me a promo for the next 6 months of internet to kinda make up for it
Congrats, and welcome to your new 3 year contract!

/it wouldn't surprise me at all that they woudl actually do that to you.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:24 PM   #1280
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post

I haven't had an issue with live tv (but I hardly ever watch live tv), but occasionally, I'll have problems with playing back recordings. Based on the information I could find when I looked into this, it seems to be related to the updates Telus sends out to the boxes every so often. If the update doesn't go through completely, the box will start to glitch.

The solution seems to be the old stand-by, hard reset. Unplug all of your boxes (wireless, wired, and modem) for 30 seconds or more to let them reset themselves. I don't know if this actually matters, but one thing I found said to plug them back in in this order: modem, wired tv box, wireless tv box.

I did try just resetting the wireless box and it didn't fix it, so it does appear you need to do all of them.