Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
annasuave
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Recommend binoculars? (brand, model)

All this talk of comets lately has made me want to get out there and rekindle my childhood hobby of astronomy.

I don't want to lug a telescope around with me, and to get anywhere with dark skies these days I'll be travelling a ways first.

What I need is a set of them thar binocular thingies!

Are there any recommendations in the house? We're talking an absolute beginner here, and size and weight are definitely considerations, as is price. I'm looking for decent "entry level" set, that will be light and easy to carry and won't strain my delicate wrists.

Thanks
annasuave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:00 PM   #2
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

It depends on your usage.

If it is more of a middle of the night standing naked in your bedroom and trying to see into the window 3 blocks over, I suggest something like these. To help keep them steady, you could invest in a tripod, since it is actually quite difficult to brace yourself against a wall.

If it is more to get a better look at the sunbather across the alley, you could probably get by with a model, like these.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about binoculars
Old 03-12-2013, 10:37 AM   #3
SinceDay1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

One of the primary considerations when using binos for astronomical viewing is aperture. You're going to be looking at faint and, at times, diffuse objects. The more light you can collect, the more you can visually resolve. I wouldn't really be looking at anything with less than an aperture of 40mm. As for magnification, 8x to 10x is about ideal if you plan on hand holding the binoculars. Above that and the field of view becomes so narrow that the ability to find and stay on objects gets pretty tough. I'd go with a fixed magnification as well. A decent zoom bino will cost large dollars and is of limited utility for astronomical purposes. You can get by with a decent pair of 7x35 field binos but 8x40's should be considered a minimum for a satisfactory astronomical experience. If you can handle the size and weight (~1 kg) of the Celestron Skymaster DX 8x56's, it's a pretty decent entry level pair.

https://www.all-startelescope.com/sa...roducts_id=234

Last edited by SinceDay1; 03-12-2013 at 10:43 AM.
SinceDay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SinceDay1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
MaDMaN_26
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I am no expert, faaar from it. But as a kid my dad had a spotting scope for hunting... not as big as a telescope, made for being carried around in the woods and more powerful than binoculars...

Might be worth looking into...
Old 03-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
It depends on your usage.

If it is more of a middle of the night standing naked in your bedroom and trying to see into the window 3 blocks over, I suggest something like these.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about binoculars
HAHAHHA.

Related to this thread I strongly suggest a spotting scope. I have this one

http://www.basspro.com/Redfield-Ramp...duct/10207993/

I can easily see my target beyond 250 yards and they don't suffer from wiggles like binoculars.