Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-21-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:
Default Browser Extensions and Tweeks Thread

So I just did my quarterly Windows reinstall, and since I always change something up each time I do it, this time I'm switching from Firefox to Chrome. Of course, having used Firefox for eons, I'm very familiar with a lot of the good extensions and tweeks out there... but I really have no clue about the Chrome ones.

So what are some things I should grab? I'm a bit of a minimalist, so I don't like to go completely overboard. Just things that offer basic functionality that should be part of the browser, really.

Of the top of my head, I'm looking for a user agent switcher. A colour picker would be nice, too. Maybe some kind of a debugger thingy too... Obviously any tweeks to make it even faster would be nice, too.

Anyway, in the spirit of this thread, here are the plugins I'd recommend for Firefox

- AdBlock
- Download Statusbar
- Rein (very simple, minimalistic theme)
- Rainbow Picker
- Firebug
- GreaseMonkey

Last edited by FanIn80; 10-21-2010 at 02:18 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:42 PM   #2
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't have any suggestion (I'll just leech good ideas off you guys) but thanks for "Rein" I just installed it and quite like it.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am really loving Chrome after switching to it about 3 months ago.

I only have 3 extensions right now - Adblock, a new download manager, and Last Pass. Last Pass saves username and password information to the cloud and can auto-fill for you. Very handy, but a little dangerous in the wrong hands. Works perfectly for my job though.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:56 PM   #4
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
I am really loving Chrome after switching to it about 3 months ago.

I only have 3 extensions right now - Adblock, a new download manager, and Last Pass. Last Pass saves username and password information to the cloud and can auto-fill for you. Very handy, but a little dangerous in the wrong hands. Works perfectly for my job though.
What's the download manager called?
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just use AdBlock and Ghostery for firefox. Ghostery is great, it shows you all the trackers/monitors running on a site and gives you the option to block them. It will also block scripts known to be malicious.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:36 PM   #6
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Adblock, IETab, Google ReaderNotifier and Invisible Hand, which takes anything you are looking at and finds alternative places to get it. Great for price matching against Memory Express. (for Chrome)

Also key for my Chrome Experience is the use of syncing everything including bookmarks, themes and extensions
Old 10-21-2010, 09:09 PM   #7
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
What's the download manager called?
Just "Downloads". the icon for it is a blue down arrow. It's nothing fancy, just shows the download progress and keeps a history of everything.

It's number 9 on the most popular extensions list found here: https://chrome.google.com/extensions...pular?hl=en-US
Old 10-21-2010, 09:10 PM   #8
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Also key for my Chrome Experience is the use of syncing everything including bookmarks, themes and extensions
This. Google doesn't do a great job of advertising this feature, but it's awesome.