Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2017, 05:40 PM   #1
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Pitbulls

I saw this documentary last night and it provoked a thought or two...

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/episodes/2017-2 ... -be-banned

I found it particularly disturbing when the woman said that most of the recorded instances of pit bull attacks are "fake news". It's a sad world we live in when people just scream "fake news" any time there are facts that they don't want to acknowledge.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:50 PM   #2
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sadly, many times Pit Bulls are blamed for attacks that dogs commit strictly because they look similar. Many people are not very well educated in dog breeds and make this mistake.

If raised, socialized and trained correctly Pit Bulls are some of the greatest dogs in the word. Yet...many times ######bag owners get them because they look tough and want a protector and have no idea how to care for and raise these animals. Yet, some dogs just snap...Pit Bulls, Dalmations, Chihuahuas every breed.

The main issue is with the power of the breeds jaws, which many times can be quite serious and life threatening .

Cue Sliver?

Last edited by Since1984; 09-25-2017 at 06:02 PM.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 06:01 PM   #3
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem IMO is how strong they are. A happy Chihuahua can be nippy but it doesn't do any damage. One bite from a Pitbull or other large breed and you're in trouble. And it's just my observation, but the ratio of ######bags owning pitbull type dogs is pretty high.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:02 PM   #4
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
If raised, socialized and trained correctly Pit Bulls are some of the greatest dogs in the word. Yet...many times ######bag owners get them because they look tough and want a protector and have no idea how to care for and raise these animals.
So should you need a special license/training to own a dog of this or similar breeds?

I agree with what you're saying. It's typically not the dog but the owners that are the problem. Though sometimes it is the dog.

Personally, I don't like the idea of people owning huge dogs that are capable of doing lots of damage but realize there are too many grey areas with mixed breeds to make banning really possible. I so think dog ownership should come with training. I see too many people letting their dogs jump on others with the excuse "He's friendly and is just checking you out."

Maybe reduced licensing fees if you can show proof of training?
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:06 PM   #5
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
So should you need a special license/training to own a dog of this or similar breeds?

I agree with what you're saying. It's typically not the dog but the owners that are the problem. Though sometimes it is the dog.

Personally, I don't like the idea of people owning huge dogs that are capable of doing lots of damage but realize there are too many grey areas with mixed breeds to make banning really possible. I so think dog ownership should come with training. I see too many people letting their dogs jump on others with the excuse "He's friendly and is just checking you out."

Maybe reduced licensing fees if you can show proof of training?
This, there needs to be specialized liscensing for owners of large breed dogs that can do damage. They should have mandatory training, socializing and regular mental health checks.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 06:14 PM   #6
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think dogs ought to be temperament-tested before they are legally allowed to be adopted out.

I'm also open minded to the idea of holding owners criminally responsible for any attacks their dogs carry out, in the same way as if the person him or her self carried out that attack. In other words if your dog kills a child you get charged with 2nd degree murder.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mathgod For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 06:18 PM   #7
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

A properly trained pittbull is very loyal and a very good dog. To many people have no clue how to train them. They are one dog where I firmly believe that you as an owner need to be evaluated before you can get one.

I've never had problems at all with Pittbulls except one basically pulled my shoulder out of the socket playing tug a war.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 06:24 PM   #8
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Sadly, many times Pit Bulls are blamed for attacks that dogs commit strictly because they look similar. Many people are not very well educated in dog breeds and make this mistake.

If raised, socialized and trained correctly Pit Bulls are some of the greatest dogs in the word. Yet...many times ######bag owners get them because they look tough and want a protector and have no idea how to care for and raise these animals. Yet, some dogs just snap...Pit Bulls, Dalmations, Chihuahuas every breed.

The main issue is with the power of the breeds jaws, which many times can be quite serious and life threatening .

Cue Sliver?
m'lady
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 07:02 PM   #9
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think everyone should be able to own dogs let alone breads that can be dangerous in the hands of inexperienced or simply bad owners. These are animals with natural instincts to protect themselves or their territory and at the end of the day and the responsibility falls on the owner to train them and give them the attention they need.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:31 PM   #10
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

All dogs are, regardless of training and depending on circumstances, liable to bite, the only thing that stops them is the owner controlling the circumstances by always being aware of the dog and the surroundings, pit bulls are no worse than other dogs that way (although as a breed they are dumber than rocks frankly) the trouble is they will do more damage with a bite than most.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:01 PM   #11
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

It all comes down to the owner in my opinion. If you're not willing to put in the time and effort to properly train a dog, don't buy one.

I understand that sometimes dogs can be aggressive no matter how much you train them. If you know your dog is aggressive, get a muzzle for when it's in public.

Onus is 100% on the owner. Every single time.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:10 PM   #12
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dogs are exactly the same as toddlers, you have to watch them constantly and be aware that the more of them are in one area the more trouble you will have, personally I would never have more than one dog of any breed, as soon as you add another dog you, as the owner, become less important to the dogs, they become their own pack and are far more likely to attack random things.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:25 PM   #13
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
A properly trained pittbull is very loyal and a very good dog. To many people have no clue how to train them. They are one dog where I firmly believe that you as an owner need to be evaluated before you can get one.

I've never had problems at all with Pittbulls except one basically pulled my shoulder out of the socket playing tug a war.
Sometimes the loyalty is part of the problem, strong one owner dogs can snap because of the loyalty.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:34 PM   #14
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Watched this same documentary last night.

I've had only good experiences with pit bulls (and very few of them altogether).

That said, while watching the documentary, I found myself wondering what the point of them is. Humans have been selectively breeding dogs for centuries, and the purpose for which this breed was created doesn't seem like a particularly valid one anymore - at least not for your run-of-the-mill civilian pet owner.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:37 PM   #15
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think Pit Bulls can be great. But in the way fast cars and 800cc sports bikes are; Perform fine, but dangerous when handled by incompetent people. Not bad, going to kick your ass violent types, rather welll meaning animal 'lovers' who maybe are a bit ignorant of certain things.
Case in point, 'walking' a dog with through a crowded area with a pinch chain while the dog pulls as hard as it can against it. Not only does it prove a lack of control (or common sense), but does a great job illustrating they have no ####ing idea how to lead ANY dog, let alone some of the strongest breeds.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:39 PM   #16
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't help but notice that a lot of dogs which I believe are "pit bulls" are owned by guys who use thick chains for leashes and their dogs have studded collars and they have studded bracelets. Some of the owners seem to have white Oakley sungoggles
Old 09-26-2017, 09:40 AM   #17
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

They're a difficult dog for owners, because they're unconditionally loyal to their owner and they're very territorial dogs.

But there are a lot of really difficult breeds out there that people need to be really careful about buying.

One of the best dogs that I ever had growing up was a pure breed Rhodesian Ridge back.

They were basically used to corner lions. They're fearless, they're incredibly fast and strong and they're smart. They're natural born 90 pound fearless take no sh%t escape artists as well.

They're very loyal, but they need constant play and activity, they're very smart, and they can either be needy one minute or very aloof the next. They're almost too good with kids to the fact that they see their job as a kamikaze body guard for young children. (once when my dad threatened to throw me in the pool, that Ridge back came out of nowhere and hit a 90 mile a hour cross body on the old man into the pool and gave him the dog look of don't touch master.

The point of this is, if a Pittbull who is loyal, is shown early that his master is the pack leader, and if that master is calm and gentle but firm, the dog will emulate that behavior. But Pittbulls are like emotional sponges, if they feel tension from their master, its trouble, that dog gets emotionally ramped up and worried and scared and angry just like his master.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2017, 12:57 PM   #18
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've done a fair bit of volunteering with the SPCA and agree with most of what's written here. I just don't see the point of perpetuating the pit breeds. They were originally developed for very sinister reasons. Sure they can be a good dog is trained right, but so can a million other less powerful dogs.

I'm against most breeding of dogs in general. There are millions of unwanted dogs put to death every year. Unless you are breading the dog for a specific purpose/need, e.g. seeing eye dog, why do it? I believe there should be strict regulations on breeding dogs and serious fines for owning a dog over 1-year old that hasn't been fixed.

I've got a real issue with my neighbor right now. They have two dogs, a mixed breed (border collie/husky maybe) and a pitbull. They have no control over there dogs and they are out in the yard barking their heads off all day, every day. When they want to bring the dogs in, they have to chase them with a broom to get them in the house as dogs totally do not listen. The minute I step onto my deck the dogs, particularly the pit, are at the fence fanged out going nuts. I have a three-year-old daughter who can't play in her backyard without me in arms reach because I'm afraid this dog is going to break through the fence and attack. It's also very stressful to push your daughter on the swing with a pitbull going nuts trying to break through the fence ten feet away from you. There is nothing I can legally do about this dog threatening my daughter's life every freaking day. I'm going to install a second heavy duty metal fence in front of the wood fence for safety, but it ticks me off that I have to this and not the fut nut who owns the dogs.

Last edited by pseudoreality; 09-26-2017 at 07:37 PM.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2017, 05:24 PM   #19
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

I adopted a pit bull mix about 2 months ago and it is by far the sweetest, best behaved dog I've ever had. I agree with the general sentiment that dogs often take on the personalities, or at least the most negative traits, of their owners. Unfortunately, there are too many dbags that own pitbulls, Rotties, German Shepherds and other large "aggressive" breads as a fashion accessory. We all know you're an idiot but if you are really intent on advertising it just get a face tattoo instead of a pit bull.
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Slinger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2017, 06:04 PM   #20
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I can't help but notice that a lot of dogs which I believe are "pit bulls" are owned by guys who use thick chains for leashes and their dogs have studded collars and they have studded bracelets. Some of the owners seem to have white Oakley sungoggles
I once saw one wearing dark-lens aviators and leather gloves.

Tags
attacks , bulls , dogs , pit , pitbulls