Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-19-2017, 01:55 AM   #21
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

All this said, it's been a few years of not great weather in the Okanagan; in general. No good weather, means colder temps. I have heard the region has had one of it's coldest winters there from people who live there.

Just as spring won't come here, they are experiencing the same.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:21 AM   #22
HappyGilmore
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Wasa is warm and about 3.5 hours from Calgary. Great spot for swimming and enjoying the beach. Much smaller lake so it's not great for boating however.

Edit; how long do you plan for this little trip? Will you camp or stay in a hotel? Some of these smaller lakes are camping only. When you get to the bigger spots obviously there's housing.

Some of these smaller spots will save lots of money if you're down for camping with a 2 y/o

Last edited by HappyGilmore; 04-19-2017 at 08:35 AM.
HappyGilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:26 AM   #23
HappyGilmore
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Wasa can get.."yucky" if it gets too warm. There isn't a lot of water movement and it isn't too deep.
Weird. Never noticed the yuckyness. It's 30 feet deep at some points. Water movement seems to be quite high also.. it drops like crazy, not just a lake of standing water.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:33 AM   #24
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
All this said, it's been a few years of not great weather in the Okanagan; in general. No good weather, means colder temps. I have heard the region has had one of it's coldest winters there from people who live there.

Yep. Calgary's poor winter and spring essentially mirrors what most of BC has got.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:33 AM   #25
something
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Probably not what you are looking for (too far, saltwater), but Tribune Bay on Hornby Island is a fantastic location for swimming. The waters are the warmest ocean waters in Canada - on a good day it is pretty close to what you would find in tropical locations. Plus, there is bioluminescence during the summer - makes for a super cool midnight swim.

http://www.tribunebay.com/images/hom...r-aerial-3.jpg

Just thought I would post it up for general information, should anyone be looking for some warmer ocean beaches in Canada.
something is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:43 AM   #26
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by something View Post
Probably not what you are looking for (too far, saltwater), but Tribune Bay on Hornby Island is a fantastic location for swimming. The waters are the warmest ocean waters in Canada - on a good day it is pretty close to what you would find in tropical locations. Plus, there is bioluminescence during the summer - makes for a super cool midnight swim.

http://www.tribunebay.com/images/hom...r-aerial-3.jpg

Just thought I would post it up for general information, should anyone be looking for some warmer ocean beaches in Canada.
It might be warm, but they may be getting a letter from New Brunswick and PEI if they are claiming to be the warmest. The Northumberland straight between those two provinces provides the warmest saltwater beaches North of Virginia. It's like bath water in the summer. I think the Northumberland Straight is considered open water, but I could be wrong.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:49 PM   #27
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post

Ya, Lake Okanagan is way too deep to be considered "warm" unless they get some impressive heat waves. We put my kid in swimming lessons a couple years back (something my wife did when she was wee) and he cried every day. Each class he came out of the water, teeth chattering and looking like a smurf.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote