Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2018, 09:57 AM   #1
Simon96Taco
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Private Pilot License/Instruction?

So, I've been toying with the idea of getting my Private Pilot's License (PPL) for a few years now. Finally decided after a recent flight that I wanted to start flying more frequently and logging hours towards the requirements for the PPL.

After calling a couple of schools at Springbank (SATC and the CFC) it seems there is a 6 month (at minimum) waiting list to even start training! Apparently there is a shortage of pilots in the industry and the schools are focused on finishing/pushing through current students before allowing new entrants to start booking hours with the instructors.

Bit disappointing, as I wanted to make use of the long days and nice weather ahead to hopefully get most of the hours in before the fall/winter.

There don't seem to be too many choices in or near Calgary these days, other than at Springbank. There used to be a place in Okotoks but seems they now operate out of Penhold (by Red Deer). There is another place near Olds, but it's also obviously a fair drive, plus quite a bit more expensive as they have much newer aircraft.

Anyone else facing this same issue? Any suggestions to help start flying sooner?

Thanks!
Simon96Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:40 AM   #2
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would think that anything that does not have a waiting list, will be outside of the city.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:12 PM   #3
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wow, things sure have changed in the past few years. Schools like SATC and CFC were always relatively busy but to hear that they're instilling 6 month waiting periods is bonkers. In the case of SATC, they're running a new program designed to feed pilots directly to WJ Encore which could be affecting how they prioritize new students, and in terms of schools in general, they're all likely plagued by the same shortage of staff that are affecting a lot of other aviation sectors right now. There is somewhat of a crunch on pilot supply for the time being, which makes it a slight nightmare for flight schools to hang on to instructors as they migrate on to jobs with the airlines and charter companies.

As for alternatives, I can't think of many off the top of my head. High River used to have an operation as well, but like you said, you're inviting a bit of a drive out of the city with an option like that. There must be some options at outlying airports along that line, as there was a small migration away from Springbank (by both private owners and other operations) several years ago when Calgary's economy was booming and hangar space at CYBW began to come at an immense premium.

I know nothing of the school in Olds, though I'd recommend taking a close look at an option like that. It may be more expensive and farther away, but training on newer aircraft isn't the worst thing, and the advantages of having your home training airport be somewhat remote can't be understated. A straight per-hour cost quoted from a flight school at Springbank may be lower, but that's a busy airport now within some incredibly busy airspace (its own, as well being sandwiched underneath YYC's), which means more time taxiing, waiting to take off, waiting for a spot in the traffic circuit, transiting to and from the practice area, etc. SATC and the CFC are both good schools, that being said.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:08 PM   #4
Simon96Taco
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post
Wow, things sure have changed in the past few years. Schools like SATC and CFC were always relatively busy but to hear that they're instilling 6 month waiting periods is bonkers. In the case of SATC, they're running a new program designed to feed pilots directly to WJ Encore which could be affecting how they prioritize new students, and in terms of schools in general, they're all likely plagued by the same shortage of staff that are affecting a lot of other aviation sectors right now. There is somewhat of a crunch on pilot supply for the time being, which makes it a slight nightmare for flight schools to hang on to instructors as they migrate on to jobs with the airlines and charter companies.

As for alternatives, I can't think of many off the top of my head. High River used to have an operation as well, but like you said, you're inviting a bit of a drive out of the city with an option like that. There must be some options at outlying airports along that line, as there was a small migration away from Springbank (by both private owners and other operations) several years ago when Calgary's economy was booming and hangar space at CYBW began to come at an immense premium.

I know nothing of the school in Olds, though I'd recommend taking a close look at an option like that. It may be more expensive and farther away, but training on newer aircraft isn't the worst thing, and the advantages of having your home training airport be somewhat remote can't be understated. A straight per-hour cost quoted from a flight school at Springbank may be lower, but that's a busy airport now within some incredibly busy airspace (its own, as well being sandwiched underneath YYC's), which means more time taxiing, waiting to take off, waiting for a spot in the traffic circuit, transiting to and from the practice area, etc. SATC and the CFC are both good schools, that being said.
That's great info, and something to consider for sure. The drive time is obviously quite a bit more to Red Deer etc., but depending on how much time you "save" in hours logged in flight, it could be worth it. For example, in a typical 60 minute booking, how much more time do you think would be actual logged hours from an airport like Red Deer vs Springbank?

It also might make it more worthwhile if I'm able to book a 2 or 2.5 hour lesson in Red Deer vs. having to drive 1.5 hours just for a one hour lesson.

For reference, the aircraft at Olds appear to all be newish Diamond DA20's, at $299/hr.
SATC/CFC (Springbank) rents out C 172's for ~$160/hr
Sky Wings (Red Deer) rents C 172's for $154/hr

Those rates don't include the instructor. So flying at Olds would cost almost double.
Simon96Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:09 PM   #5
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ah, that is quite a cost disparity indeed. I’m not sure of exactly how much time/money you’d wind up saving at a different airport, but it’s definitely a factor. For example, sometimes the traffic circuit fills up at YBW (though I can’t speak precisely as to how this is managed nowadays) and when you’re in those phases of training it can be a pain. Or, if you end up spending an extra 10-15 minutes taxiing around or waiting to takeoff every second flight or so, this can start to add up as well (you’re traditionally charged based on tenths of an hour I believe).

All that being said, everything needs to be taken in to account. The vibe you get from the school itself, its staff/equipment, and how they work for you individually among other things. They’ll be accepting a heaping helping of your cash, after all. Some operations are more tuned for catering to the recreational enthusiast/private pilot, and some invest more in programs designed to spit out the future commercial flyers of the industry.