Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-08-2023, 04:55 AM   #1
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:
Default Home Security Cameras

There was a crew checking cars in the neighbourhood last night, apparently they smashed the window of a neighbours car up the street. Another neighbour apparently caught them in their cars, chased them out of the yard, then follwed them in his truck.

I've been causally thinking about a video doorbell for a while, and this is the catalyst to pull the trigger on that and a couple cameras.

There's an older threat about this, but given how quickly the space changes I thought a new thread would be appropriate.

Rings vs Blink vs Lorex vs Whatever

Door bell + 2 cameras (maybe 2 doorbells, front and back).

Ideally I'd like onsite storage but if it's like $5 a month or something I'd consider that no issue.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 07:09 AM   #2
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have Ring, doorbell and 2 cameras, wait till Amazon has a sale. Never had issues and have had the hardware for about 6 years now, i would recommend the ones that plug in as the batteries die too fast for my liking. I think the yearly subscription is like 60 bucks or something. Not sure about onsite storage options.
Iggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 07:23 AM   #3
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have a couple Eufy cameras, maybe a year now and they have been fine. I didn't really see the need for the doorbell camera since I just use motion in the front and back but my perimeter setup is very basic being in a townhouse complex. These had expandable local storage which was key to me. You can add cloud subscriptions to expand the use but I haven't seen a need just yet.

https://ca.eufy.com/products/BUNDLE-...nu_4_2_1_3_img
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 07:40 AM   #4
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wyze doorbells and several other wyze cams. Added $49/year for unlimited (black friday sale) on all cams and is great. We are all in on Wyze though. Far from latest tech but cheap, which I like.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 08:28 AM   #5
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've got a handful of wyze v3 cameras. They work well, although the shadows cast by a tree CONSTANTLY set off the motion detection. They could use some refinement on their algorithms.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 08:47 AM   #6
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
I've got a handful of wyze v3 cameras. They work well, although the shadows cast by a tree CONSTANTLY set off the motion detection. They could use some refinement on their algorithms.
Unfortunately their 'hi tech' algorithms are locked into cam plus
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 08:55 AM   #7
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lorex camera 2 pack from Costco is great. The app works very well on a new ish phone (S21 here), internal SD storage for the cameras, no monthly fees and all you need for the install is a 120v plug within ~12 feet of the camera location. Motion zones are highly customizable too.

Overall I'm very happy with their product
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 10:30 AM   #8
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought ReoLink cameras. I didn't want to bother with running wires so I got the wireless cameras. They connect to my WiFi and they store their videos on an SD card that I put into them. There is a couple of downsides to wireless cameras though. I have to take them down every 4-6 months to charge them. This is weather dependant as extreme temperatures can wear out the battery quickly. They do have a solar panel charger which I didn't go with that option but I'm thinking of picking one up for each camera. Connecting to them can be a pain sometimes.

I have one camera in the front and one in the back and I'm tempted to get one more for the front and back to increase my coverage. I initially bought them because one November my dog alerted us to a prowler in the back yard, and then the following April we had a ding and ditch at 2:30am. I had also noticed both gates being left open too and I hated not knowing all the details of what was happening in my yard so I got cameras.

I am tempted to upgrade to a wired system where all images from all cameras are stored in one place. One other downside for a completely wireless system is connecting to the cameras to watch them or view recorded videos can sometimes take a couple of tries. The videos only record for 30s after motion stops too, so I don't always have everything.

One reason I chose ReoLink is because they don't need to connect to the cloud so if the company were to fold their services I wouldn't have egg shaped bricks. They have been running since 2020.

My coworker has setup a mixture of Reolink and Eufy cameras between his place and his family's places too.

Last edited by Buff; 06-08-2023 at 10:37 AM.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 10:38 AM   #9
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else been setting up dummy cameras or "video camera monitoring" signs around as a deterrent?

Like an extension of the fake, "This house is monitored by X security company" stickers, I thought I saw an increase in this over the last few years.

My buddy had one on his driveway that failed years ago. He never got around dealing with it. He says he frequently video feed from his Ring where people walk onto his driveway and look up at the camera (delivery drivers, friends etc.). People are aware of it without knowing it isn't function, but he's not convinced it's an actual deterrent.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 11:02 AM   #10
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eufy and Reolink both look interesting, but damn, both Chinese companies. Any good ones that aren't Chinese?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 11:12 AM   #11
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Eufy and Reolink both look interesting, but damn, both Chinese companies. Any good ones that aren't Chinese?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 11:14 AM   #12
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I'm still super happy with my Ring set up. I have it at home and work now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 11:15 AM   #13
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have an external system that was professionally installed that uses HikVision. All the footage from that is stored locally and can be accessed from my furnace room.

Aside from that, I have a Ring doorbell camera and a bunch of Ring battery cameras inside and outside the house. I have found those to work really consistently and easily and the app is easy to manage, too. I'm just not as confident in the cloud storage thing for the real "security camera" part of the equation.

I have a couple of Blink cameras as well, but those aren't really security cameras, they're more there to keep an eye on my cat if I need to check in.

I would avoid Eufy, they had some controversy lately about personal footage being accessible by third parties.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 11:24 AM   #14
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I have an external system that was professionally installed that uses HikVision. All the footage from that is stored locally and can be accessed from my furnace room.

Aside from that, I have a Ring doorbell camera and a bunch of Ring battery cameras inside and outside the house. I have found those to work really consistently and easily and the app is easy to manage, too. I'm just not as confident in the cloud storage thing for the real "security camera" part of the equation.

I have a couple of Blink cameras as well, but those aren't really security cameras, they're more there to keep an eye on my cat if I need to check in.

I would avoid Eufy, they had some controversy lately about personal footage being accessible by third parties.
I don't have any Ring cameras inside my house. I have two in my garage, but I have the mic recording off just because I hang out in there a fair amount and don't like the idea of my conversations with my friends or my kids' conversations with their friends being recorded. When my kids have garage parties I unplug the cameras just so they have privacy, too, although a bunch of my beers from the beer fridge went missing last time so IDK.

Anyway, do you have the indoor ones set up in your living room and stuff? I'm not comfortable being recorded like that. No issue for you, something you get used to, trade off worth it for the security you feel it provides? Just curious.
Old 06-08-2023, 11:25 AM   #15
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Not racist, there are no shortage of news articles about them having weak security, backdoors, and unpatched security vulnerabilities.

This one for Hikvision

https://threatpost.com/cybercriminal...ameras/180478/

More general:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-says-watchdog

Plus I'm really trying to buy less stuff from China in general, given their actions and attitudes towards Canada and that most companies have ties back to the CCP and may be manufactured using slave labour. Why should I support that? Trying to have some principles, here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 11:28 AM   #16
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Anyway, do you have the indoor ones set up in your living room and stuff? I'm not comfortable being recorded like that. No issue for you, something you get used to, trade off worth it for the security you feel it provides? Just curious.
Yes - they are off unless I'm out of the house and set them to record motion. So the only circumstance they'd be recording anyone inside my house is when I'm not there.

That being said I have a bunch of Alexa devices throughout my house too, so I guess my whole strategy about personal privacy is basically "continue being as personally uninteresting in my private life as I always have been such that anyone who wants to spy on me can feel free to bore themselves to death".
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 11:32 AM   #17
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Yes - they are off unless I'm out of the house and set them to record motion. So the only circumstance they'd be recording anyone inside my house is when I'm not there.

That being said I have a bunch of Alexa devices throughout my house too, so I guess my whole strategy about personal privacy is basically "continue being as personally uninteresting in my private life as I always have been such that anyone who wants to spy on me can feel free to bore themselves to death".
Hah, yeah, I have Google Homes in every single room, so not too tough to spy on me, either. Also a very boring person, so that helps.

I hadn't considered the cameras activating only when the alarm is on away mode. That's a neat idea...maybe I'll do that as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 11:33 AM   #18
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Not racist, there are no shortage of news articles about them having weak security, backdoors, and unpatched security vulnerabilities.

This one for Hikvision

https://threatpost.com/cybercriminal...ameras/180478/

More general:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-says-watchdog

Plus I'm really trying to buy less stuff from China in general, given their actions and attitudes towards Canada and that most companies have ties back to the CCP and may be manufactured using slave labour. Why should I support that? Trying to have some principles, here.
Just messing with you. Not once have you come across as racist, don't worry.
Old 06-08-2023, 11:34 AM   #19
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just messing with you. Not once have you come across as racist, don't worry.
Oh, I know. And I am personally offended for life. Unless we have a duel. E-bike jousting at dusk?
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2023, 11:46 AM   #20
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another generally happy Wyzecam user here. Also have Wyze doorbell cam - it's much better than the Vivint Doorbell we previously had.

Occasional little glitches/troubleshooting needed here and there, but no moreso than Google Home, or the Vivint system we inherited in our house.
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote