Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2017, 07:25 PM   #1161
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw a story last week from the Boston Globe where the writer listed the top 3 places to eat in each NHL city. Naina's was one of the places chosen in Calgary (the other two were coffee places).

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/br...MXM/story.html
Old 10-18-2017, 07:35 PM   #1162
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
I think that is the thing that we are most proud about. That we had a hand in helping a great small business survive. She was on the verge of closing and when our review hit and we talked about her on cbc she suddenly was packed. Ultimately it was all about her great food but I'm happy we were able to help
I was actually out for lunch today with one of my old BQ mates. We always talk about bringing it back but in reality neither of us have time. And yeah my doc would probably get a court order disallowing it
Does that not warrant free burgers for life? The new location has worked out well for me as we can hit it once every two months or so. I actually really like their poutine and when we go my oldest boy doesn't even order a burger, he just gets the poutine. How often were you dining out when the website was going? Weekly or more?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:55 PM   #1163
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And they're done. Closed.
That building should never be allowed to house any kind of eating or drinking establishment again. I feel bad for anybody who gets suckered into thinking that it is a prime location for a restaurant.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:58 PM   #1164
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep- turn it into a parking lot or something already.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:27 PM   #1165
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Does that not warrant free burgers for life? The new location has worked out well for me as we can hit it once every two months or so. I actually really like their poutine and when we go my oldest boy doesn't even order a burger, he just gets the poutine. How often were you dining out when the website was going? Weekly or more?
"Wonderbun" and I were talking about this today actually. I hate to say it - but she never even bought us a free lunch. Not that we ever asked, or I guess expected it. We weren't doing it for free food...but to be honest I'm surprised that she never offered something. But I understand she is a small business and every dollar matters.

At our peak we were doing two reviews a week. I learned a lot from the entire experience as in some ways the thing got away from us. We started it as a lark and it grew pretty rapidly. In addition to the blog, we had our hit on CBC radio, but also had folks interested in holding events based on our "brand", a couple local magazines interested in a column for us, and even a television production company talking to us about producing a pilot.

I think we lost a bit of our focus. And then when the third partner left the place where we all worked, that's when it kinda all fell apart. Not in a bad way - but he just wasn't as committed.

Wonderbun and I talk about bringing something back - but we wouldn't do BQ again - we would need some sort of fresh spin on it. Though as I said to him today - I'd love to bring back if only to completely destroy Boardwalk - who is deserved of a proper thrashing over their crap burgers.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2017, 08:27 PM   #1166
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The way it sounded like in the note is they bailed on rent or something.

They did have a "undergoing kitchen venting system maintence, closed for a week" sign up prior to this.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:35 PM   #1167
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ha. Yeah Boardwalk does kind of suck.

I guess, and I know it might be kind of sacreligious, but how about chicken burger reviews.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:42 PM   #1168
EverfresH15
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Do donairs for sure
EverfresH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:48 PM   #1169
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

We were talking about what we would do today. Donairs came up. As did Pizza.
We also have some ideas on how we could bring back burgers - but with a unique twist. Something beyond just reviews.
Man there just isn't enough time - I'd love to also bring back Calgarypuck Radio - and I know Bingo would be game.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:59 PM   #1170
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I enjoyed the earlier reviews because they were humorous without being over the top nasty with the restaurants that weren't great.

Quite a few things have come up here on CP that might be worth exploring food wise - definitely the donairs and pizza; doughnuts and fried chicken have come up. Doughnuts and fried chicken have at least a finite number of place to visit and review, whereas donairs and pizza would be a pretty massive undertaking to hit up all of the spots.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:53 PM   #1171
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
W.....I'd love to also bring back Calgarypuck Radio - and I know Bingo would be game.
he could do this in his spare time
Old 10-19-2017, 03:18 PM   #1172
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We were talking about what we would do today. Donairs came up. As did Pizza.
We also have some ideas on how we could bring back burgers - but with a unique twist. Something beyond just reviews.
Man there just isn't enough time - I'd love to also bring back Calgarypuck Radio - and I know Bingo would be game.
Yes please! Very much enjoyed it.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 04:18 PM   #1173
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
he could do this in his spare time
or other posters...
Old 10-19-2017, 04:58 PM   #1174
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Anybody have any recommendations for the best burger in Banff? Money is no object.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:10 PM   #1175
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I can't say it's the best but Eddie Burger was pretty good the last time I went to Banff.
Nsd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:49 PM   #1176
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yesterday I ate what was called a "Canada burger". It featured maple bacon with dijon sauce on brioche. The maple bacon makes sense and I get using the French ingredients but it didn't really come across as being Canadian. To compare, there is another place in Sydney selling the "Blame Canada" burger featuring maple bacon, maple aioli, and poutine which seems like a better representation of Canadian cuisine.

This got me thinking, what toppings should go on a "Canadian" burger? Maple bacon is a given and poutine is an interesting option but what else? I'm thinking Montreal smoked meat, smoked salmon, kraft dinner, pierogies, and using a Montreal style bagel instead of a bun would all work. Any thoughts?
Old 10-19-2017, 06:25 PM   #1177
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know exactly what a Canadian burger would have (why is a Canadian pizza; pepperoni, bacon and mushrooms?) but Mayo on burgers is a Canadian thing and instead of bacon I would go back bacon.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:54 PM   #1178
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are you suggesting some of those ingredients or all of them, FG? All of them together frankly sounds like the worst burger in the world.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:22 PM   #1179
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some pan-fried Montreal smoked meat instead of back bacon. Maybe pan-fried in a bit of maple syrup. I would leave out any Kraft dinner. It’s pretty bland, to be honest unless you used a better sauce for it.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:23 PM   #1180
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Are you suggesting some of those ingredients or all of them, FG? All of them together frankly sounds like the worst burger in the world.
Haha, no not all at once, that would be gross. I'm just thinking of ingredients that could go on a Canadian themed burger. Something like maple bacon and poutine, smoked salmon and kraft dinner, or smoked meat and perogies would probably work as combinations though.

Now that I have thought about it, my ideal Canadian burger would have a bison patty, maple bacon, smoked meat, lettuce, tomato, onion, and donair sauce.