Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-27-2017, 08:12 PM   #161
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I don't tend to get very cold feet either. I do a bad thing though and wear regular socks during winter. Running around the residential areas though is problematic because of the freeze/thaw cycles, you end up running on very uneven, jagged, ice on sidewalks or when going over crosswalks. It seems like a sprained ankle waiting to happen, even with winter running shoes.

As for the fun of posting winter running pics. This isn't as dramatic as Cowperson's, but this is at about -20 degC last winter. Just remember, when running outside, if you fog up your glasses, they won't just unfog on their own. Bad when running in the dark.

Spoiler!

Last edited by Wormius; 01-20-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 09:25 PM   #162
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Around -10C is my cutoff.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:51 AM   #163
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Running around the residential areas though is problematic because of the freeze/thaw cycles, you end up running on very uneven, jagged, ice on sidewalks or when going over crosswalks. It seems like a sprained ankle waiting to happen, even with winter running shoes.

Just remember, when running outside, if you fog up your glasses, they won't just unfog on their own. Bad when running in the dark.
I use Nordic Grip for winter snow and ice. I can run over the occasional dry patch without them being a bother but mostly you need to be on snow or ice with them. I think Strides has these.

http://nordicgrip.com/product/running/

My glasses don't fog as long as my mouth isn't covered in any way by a balaclava or a pull-up. As soon as you cover your mouth and hot air exhale is being directed upward toward your glasses, you're toast. In that case, I'll run without glasses and hope I don't go straight into a tree or something.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:13 PM   #164
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like my lackluster stretching has caught up with me. My shins are super sore today. Actually, my whole left leg seems like it isn’t performing he way it should. I am always worried about overextending it during running because the calf feels really tight, so my strides aren’t as long as they could be. What’s the best stretch to do for this?
Old 09-28-2017, 05:16 PM   #165
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowperson View Post
I use Nordic Grip for winter snow and ice. I can run over the occasional dry patch without them being a bother but mostly you need to be on snow or ice with them. I think Strides has these.

http://nordicgrip.com/product/running/

My glasses don't fog as long as my mouth isn't covered in any way by a balaclava or a pull-up. As soon as you cover your mouth and hot air exhale is being directed upward toward your glasses, you're toast. In that case, I'll run without glasses and hope I don't go straight into a tree or something.

Yeah, that pic was just because I walked inside, but I have had a couple of instances where adjusting my neck gaiter caused me to fog up my glasses and I had to take them off. Better than running into light posts or tripping over bushes, for sure.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:27 PM   #166
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've found that regular rolling out with a foam roller or with a lacrosse ball helps a lot of my calf issues. My coach swears by it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2017, 08:03 PM   #167
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
I've found that regular rolling out with a foam roller or with a lacrosse ball helps a lot of my calf issues. My coach swears by it.

Where do you get these foam rollers from? And what do you do, just roll back and forth all along the leg or just the calf muscle?
Old 09-30-2017, 10:58 AM   #168
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Where do you get these foam rollers from? And what do you do, just roll back and forth all along the leg or just the calf muscle?
Any running store will have them or sport check or physic office.

You can YouTube lots of different ways to use it but for calfs you put the foam roller under your calf, put on leg over top of the other, support your body with weight with your hands and tile back and forth holding position over knots.

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/...331602232.html

Or you can make one yourself with foam and pvc pipe and duct tape
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2017, 11:12 AM   #169
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I feel like my lackluster stretching has caught up with me. My shins are super sore today. Actually, my whole left leg seems like it isn’t performing he way it should. I am always worried about overextending it during running because the calf feels really tight, so my strides aren’t as long as they could be. What’s the best stretch to do for this?
Running is such a dynamic movement that there could be dozens of things causing or factoring in the issue but for simplicity's sake:

There are two direct things you can do to 'rehab' your calves. One won't necessarily fix it, so do both:
-Get rid of the tone in the muscle (ie the trigger points causing you pain/discomfort) with stretching and foam rolling
-Strengthen your calves to prevent them from tightening up again.

Here's a test (that everyone here with calf issues should try!):
Stand on one foot on the edge of a stair (with a railing to hold onto for balance) with your heel hanging off like so. With full range of motion (ie all the way up, all the way down), perform as many raises as you can (without going too fast; ie 2 seconds up 2 seconds down) and count. When you hit fatigue, rest 30 seconds and try again. Do this for 3 sets

Everyone who runs any significant mileage (especially if you're running races) should be able to do 3 sets of 30. If not, do this exercise (ie at 3 sets of 15 - whatever your fatigue point is) 3 days per week until you can do 3 sets of 30 with the form as mentioned above.

All this being said, sometimes there are issues up or down the chain (ie stiff midfoot, lumbar or hip issues) that will affect or contribute to your calf issues as well.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheSutterDynasty For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2018, 03:25 PM   #170
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have started to run pretty much every year since I turned 20, but always give up. This year I joined a Running Room program that lasts for 10 weeks and the end goal is a 10k race on St Patricks Day. I'm pretty excited. I am actually motivated to keep going now that I'm part of a class and not just running on my own.

I'm looking for a running/fitness watch of some kind. I don't really know what I want, other than it must have GPS so I know how far I've gone. And then I would like to be able to put the data into my laptop or even an app to record where I went and all that stuff. Any recommendations? I also don't want to spend hundreds of dollars. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:05 PM   #171
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use a Polar H7 and use the Polar Beat app. It also syncs to MyFitnessPal.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:21 PM   #172
Slacker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
I have started to run pretty much every year since I turned 20, but always give up. This year I joined a Running Room program that lasts for 10 weeks and the end goal is a 10k race on St Patricks Day. I'm pretty excited. I am actually motivated to keep going now that I'm part of a class and not just running on my own.

I'm looking for a running/fitness watch of some kind. I don't really know what I want, other than it must have GPS so I know how far I've gone. And then I would like to be able to put the data into my laptop or even an app to record where I went and all that stuff. Any recommendations? I also don't want to spend hundreds of dollars. Thanks in advance.
I’m joining a 10k running clinic this Monday! My goal is Eyeball the Wall and the Spartan race beast in May.

I use a Polar H10 heart rate monitor with the Polar Beat app.
Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:26 PM   #173
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have Polar M200. It's pretty adequate for everything - GPS and heart rate, and then steps if you're into that during the day and stuff. It doesn't sync to Strava directly, you have to use the phone app first and then it pushes the GPS data to Strava. It's also pretty cheap compared to most GPS watches. I got mine second-hand for $90.

Also, if you're planning on bringing your phone with you anyway, you can just run Strava or some running app from your phone and save the trouble of the watch. I don't like having to pull my phone out before a run and stuff, so that's why I've adopted a watch.

Last edited by Wormius; 01-20-2018 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:40 PM   #174
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ive never contributed to this thread for whatever reason, but have been averaging 40km a week for a couple years now. My routine is 10km at 530am, every second day. Always aim to to do an outside run when possible, but settle for the treadmill on many winter days. Favorite route is the greenway along sarcee tr sw, which is close to my house. Very rarely encounter anyone on there that early in the morning, which is the way I like it(which also might be a little crazy). Anyway, have yet to break 50 minutes on my 10k, so not the fastest runner, averaging between 53 and 55 minutes. Recently switched to kayanos from gel numbus, and pretty happy so far.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:13 PM   #175
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Ive never contributed to this thread for whatever reason, but have been averaging 40km a week for a couple years now. My routine is 10km at 530am, every second day. Always aim to to do an outside run when possible, but settle for the treadmill on many winter days. Favorite route is the greenway along sarcee tr sw, which is close to my house. Very rarely encounter anyone on there that early in the morning, which is the way I like it(which also might be a little crazy). Anyway, have yet to break 50 minutes on my 10k, so not the fastest runner, averaging between 53 and 55 minutes. Recently switched to kayanos from gel numbus, and pretty happy so far.
If you're really keen on breaking the 50 minute mark then you should think about varying your mileage and intensity. Aerobic performance requires you to work "every part of the curve" - meaning high intensity short runs, low intensity long runs (ie more than 10k), and everything in between (progressions, repeats, intervals within a run from 500m - 2-3km, hills, etc).

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheSutterDynasty For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2018, 08:47 PM   #176
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

So as an update to this, I bought a FitBIt Charge 2, and at first I really enjoyed it and thought it was great. And then I started running with my clinic instructor, and the distance accuracy is incredibly poor on my Charge 2. My instructor is a marathon runner and knows the routes, and I trust her distances. We ran 8.xx km the other day, and my watch said it was 9.33 km or something. It was off by .5 - 1 km over that distance, which to me is unacceptable.

So it's getting sold. Too late to return it now unfortunately.

But I'm trying to decide now on what to get to replace it. It is down to the Fitbit Ionic and the Garmit Vivoactive 3. Both seem to be very good and they have a lot of similarities. Just not sure what to do at this point. I might buy both and return the one I like the least.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:56 PM   #177
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're going to run a lot, buy a proper running watch such as a Garmin ForeRunner or a Polar. Out of the two you listed, stick with the Garmin. Good review here:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/10/...th-review.html
Old 03-02-2018, 09:03 PM   #178
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I've read so many reviews and watched so many videos in the past couple of days. Still torn. Now you want me to consider other Garmin devices??!! My main concern is GPS distance accuracy. It has to do that perfectly or as close to perfect as possible.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:06 PM   #179
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So as an update to this, I bought a FitBIt Charge 2, and at first I really enjoyed it and thought it was great. And then I started running with my clinic instructor, and the distance accuracy is incredibly poor on my Charge 2. My instructor is a marathon runner and knows the routes, and I trust her distances. We ran 8.xx km the other day, and my watch said it was 9.33 km or something. It was off by .5 - 1 km over that distance, which to me is unacceptable.

So it's getting sold. Too late to return it now unfortunately.

But I'm trying to decide now on what to get to replace it. It is down to the Fitbit Ionic and the Garmit Vivoactive 3. Both seem to be very good and they have a lot of similarities. Just not sure what to do at this point. I might buy both and return the one I like the least.

I have a Polar which is passable; I have had some messed up runs every once in a while or ones where it lost the GPS signal or simply tools minutes to get a GPS fix; I think I would personally opt for an Apple Watch next. I believe in some reviews HR and GPS is really comparable. Anyway, I would check that the watch gets quick fixes. I hated standing around waiting for my watch to get a fix. The main reason for that, I believe, was my beginning and end points were always different, but when tracking in my phone I never had that problems. Also cloud cover, something covering you watch, can make tracking inaccurate.

Was the route actual 8.xx km? You csould confirm on Google or Strava just to be sure before you sell the watch.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:17 PM   #180
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're super concerned about distance, get the Garmin and add a footpod to back up the GPS. Doesn't get more accurate than that. I use a Forerunner 920XT, and been quite happy with its accuracy and GPS acquisition times.