Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2023, 01:56 PM   #2001
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Where did you go locally for Omega?
As far as I know there is only Calg Jewellery on 17th. Do other stores sell Omega?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 02:06 PM   #2002
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't remember if Brinkhaus on 6 Ave SW does Omega anymore. They used to waaaaay back in like 2013.

EDIT: They don't do Omega. Also, holy sh-t, they don't do Rolex any more either. I bought my Dark Rhodium 114300 from Tom at Brinkhaus back in the day. Well that sucks.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 05-25-2023 at 02:10 PM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 02:31 PM   #2003
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I can't remember if Brinkhaus on 6 Ave SW does Omega anymore. They used to waaaaay back in like 2013.

EDIT: They don't do Omega. Also, holy sh-t, they don't do Rolex any more either. I bought my Dark Rhodium 114300 from Tom at Brinkhaus back in the day. Well that sucks.
I believe Brinkhaus lost Rolex to the new boutique in Chinook. For some reason, they felt they needed Rolex under the Birks umbrella instead
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 02:57 PM   #2004
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

J.Vair also carries Rolex.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 03:50 PM   #2005
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Those are some nice dress watches to cycle through. The nice thing about them is that they feel refreshing after wearing an activity tracker. Something you can just look and appreciate rather than something you constantly look at monitor your stats or notifications and stuff.

For an additional variation, that Jazzmaster would look quite nice with a Nato strap on it.
Thx, Double F! Never knew I needed a Nato strap in my life until now.
Old 05-25-2023, 03:58 PM   #2006
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post

Yes I remember, you are the one with my grail watch. There aren't even any Rhodium 114300 watches on Chrono24 from within Canada.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 04:00 PM   #2007
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
I believe Brinkhaus lost Rolex to the new boutique in Chinook. For some reason, they felt they needed Rolex under the Birks umbrella instead
I guess there are not enough watches to go around so why do they need those ADs?

It's silly. The Chinook store is devoid of inventory inside a busy mall.

r/Rolex has had a bunch of posts from AD insiders lately about how the choice of who gets a Rolex is completely up to the store owner and how much they like you, how big your name is, or how much you've spent with them in the past.
Old 05-25-2023, 04:01 PM   #2008
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
J.Vair also carries Rolex.
J Vair was pretty open in telling me that I needed to have a good buying history of spending there to be considered for a Rolex. I got a terrible vibe from them.
Old 05-25-2023, 04:19 PM   #2009
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
J Vair was pretty open in telling me that I needed to have a good buying history of spending there to be considered for a Rolex. I got a terrible vibe from them.
The guy I talked to (older guy, Ed) was chatty and amiable enough. But yeah, I think that's going to be the case for most Rolex ADs...if you want one of the desirable sports watches, you're probably going to have to buy a couple of the lesser watches to start...ie two-tones, ladies, stuff with diamonds etc. Kind of like how if you want a GT spec 911, you gotta buy a few Macans and Cayennes first.

Two weeks after I was put on the list for a steel OP or Datejust, I got a call from them offering me a two-tone fluted OP. That was probably the test...which I guess I failed.

The Grand Seikos they have are actually quite nice. That may be a better way to get in.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 04:21 PM   #2010
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Desirable Rolexes are the male version of the Hermes Birkin.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 04:45 PM   #2011
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm a watch guy. I get it. But here's the details with Rolex:

1) They made every AD turn areas of their storefront into Rolex "approved" "franchised" spaces at great cost.

2) They then proceeded in the pandemic to have a massive influx of purchasing with people of excess "USD" or whatever and not wanting Bitcoin. But basically they sold all their watches to people with money who weren't collectors or for personal use. Not through their AD's. Storefronts were left BARE.

3) Left all AD's with ZERO watches for 2 years and now have a worthy customer protocol. I've purchased a few. I don't feel worthy.

4) Finally worked their way around to producing fake for sale models in 2022-23. So replica's of their own product. How does this not dilute the quality stream?

It's a tough bargain. I'd definitely shop the used/vintage market pre-pandemic. They used to stand for something.

Last edited by calgarywinning; 05-25-2023 at 04:49 PM.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 04:53 PM   #2012
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
I'm a watch guy. I get it. But here's the details with Rolex:

1) They made every AD turn areas of their storefront into Rolex "approved" "franchised" spaces at great cost.

2) They then proceeded in the pandemic to have a massive influx of purchasing with people of excess "USD" or whatever and not wanting Bitcoin. But basically they sold all their watches to people with money who weren't collectors or for personal use. Not through their AD's. Storefronts were left BARE.

3) Left all AD's with ZERO watches for 2 years and now have a worthy customer protocol. I've purchased a few. I don't feel worthy.

4) Finally worked their way around to producing fake for sale models in 2022-23. So replica's of their own product. How does this not dilute the quality stream?

It's a tough bargain. I'd definitely shop the used/vintage market pre-pandemic. They used to stand for something.
What is this fake for sale line? I thought that was what Tudor was for? Or is that just what is sitting in the display windows so the ADs don't look 100% bare?
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2023, 04:54 PM   #2013
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Fake for sale rolexes for display to get on the worthy list.

But, yeah, Tudor doesn't float it so much for me.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 07:20 PM   #2014
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tudor is the same for me.
Can't get interested in any of their lineup & if it wasn't for the Rolex connection, I think many people wouldn't care for them.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 09:08 AM   #2015
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That sucks ass. Mine was my first ever big-boy watch I purchased brand new at 31 years old, and the first thing I had ever purchased from Brinkhaus. Not only was Brinkhaus very happy to sell it to me, they even brought it in for me. It was still in the shipping packaging, I am literally the first and only person to have worn my watch.

Glad to see Rolex is getting even more dickish than the stories I've heard about their other ADs in the past. Brinkhaus treated me really well.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 10:22 AM   #2016
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Thx, Double F! Never knew I needed a Nato strap in my life until now.
We'd love to see the end result once you put that combination together.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2023, 11:43 AM   #2017
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Well, other than my Garmin Fenix 5X wasn't really into watches, but now have inherited 2 watches that have piqued my interest - nothing too crazy, but I do like them:

1. Hamilton Jazzmaster Day Date Auto
https://www.hamiltonwatch.com/en-ca/...date-auto.html

2. Frederique Constant Classics Index Automatic Watch
https://frederiqueconstant.com/watch...c/fc-303mc5b4/

Any thoughts on either of these welcomed and appreciated.
Hmmm, seems like my Frederique Constant Classics Index Automatic Watch not keeping time. My mother recalls there seemed to be an issue with it. Don't think we have orginal receipt but I'll have to ask. Wonder if any local watch-expert fix this or this would have to be Frederique Constant specific (guess prob depends on problem as well of course) - I'll have to reach out to them as well.
Old 06-02-2023, 10:58 AM   #2018
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Okay, I'm so excited. Picked this up and it's the perfect watch for me. Deleted all my subscriptions to various watch stuff on Reddit and YouTube. I'm officially retired. I don't want to be a collector with a million watches. Don't want to always be looking at the latest and greatest or planning my next move. I'm 100% so happy with my G-Shock (which I'd have no problem replacing if need be; it's just an appliance, but I do love it), my Hamilton Khaki Field, and now this...the crown jewel: Omega Seamaster 300 white dial 42mm. I honestly can't believe how much I love it. I was so close to getting a 44mm Speedmaster - had even bought one on Chrono24, but the deal fell apart and made me re-evaluate everything. This is where I landed. Behold:

Spoiler!
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2023, 11:13 AM   #2019
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's with the big knob?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 11:35 AM   #2020
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
What's with the big knob?
Take it easy on him, he's just excited about his new watch.

you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post: