Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2017, 04:07 PM   #61
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

The trashtalking will be funny, but alas, it's all hype and not a legit boxing match. Can you imagine that there's a hype tour going on for this dingleberry of a "fight"? I won't be paying a cent for it, that's for sure, but I'll watch some of the contrived one liners country after country.

Last edited by bluejays; 07-11-2017 at 04:09 PM.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:07 PM   #62
ZedMan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

People will buy it because they're scared they might miss it. Sure Floyd will win 99/100 or even 999/1000 times, but what if he doesn't? Are you going to be the guy that missed that?

That's the story they're trying to sell with the tour.
ZedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:29 PM   #63
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMan View Post
People will buy it because they're scared they might miss it. Sure Floyd will win 99/100 or even 999/1000 times, but what if he doesn't? Are you going to be the guy that missed that?

There's alternative ways of seeing it without buying it.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:14 PM   #64
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMan View Post

But in this case the 99/100 or 999/1000 means an exceptionally boring fight, much worse than the Manny fight. And for $100 at that. This notion that Conor could always land one shot...well, did you buy every other Floyd fight? Cause everyone can land one shot, and they are all much better boxers than Conor is right now. The difference here is beating Floyd would be the biggest upset ever in sports, but that's a thin reason to shell out huge money for something likely to suck.

But there's also the other big difference between boxing and MMA: Floyd could definitely go down....but he can also get back up without Conor ground and pounding him. The likelihood Conor one punches Floyd to sleep is nil, and there will be 11 more rounds he'll likely lose. It would have to be something like this, where he connects with Floyd as Floyd is leaning in to punch (this is of course one of the greatest knockouts ever).

Old 07-11-2017, 10:05 PM   #65
schooner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
After making over $700mil in his career Lack of Money Mayweather can't pay his taxes. What a jackass. I guess his sports betting is wrecking him. Hope none of you are wasting money on this sham of a fight.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mayweathe...9608--box.html
Laughed at this quote:

"Although the taxpayer has substantial assets, those assets are restricted and primarily illiquid," the petition by Mayweather said in a filing posting on Law360.com. "The taxpayer has a significant liquidity event scheduled in about 60 days from which he intends to pay the balance of the 2015 tax liability due and outstanding."

Alright then, but you couldn't come up with the cash before?
schooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:48 AM   #66
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have to laugh at Dana White having to "hold" Conor back at this press tour. These things are basically WWE, not just for this fight but for every boxing and MMA match.

I bought in to the bad blood between Mayweather and Manny, only to watch a terrible fight where at the end they hugged and you could clearly hear Floyd say "we made a lot of money today".
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2017, 04:44 PM   #67
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
I have to laugh at Dana White having to "hold" Conor back at this press tour. These things are basically WWE, not just for this fight but for every boxing and MMA match.

I bought in to the bad blood between Mayweather and Manny, only to watch a terrible fight where at the end they hugged and you could clearly hear Floyd say "we made a lot of money today".
I laughed when I saw how swollen Dana looked....did he get stung in face by bee before the press conference.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2017, 05:08 PM   #68
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

These press conferences are going to be better than the fight lol
Old 07-12-2017, 05:15 PM   #69
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Conor is revved up. I don't care if it's contrived, it's hilariously awesome.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to manwiches For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2017, 05:35 PM   #70
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

So hilarious
It's WWE!
Old 07-12-2017, 05:44 PM   #71
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I laughed when Conor spazzed out about Mayweather holding the Ireland flag telling him he better not do anything to it and then ended up throwing it on the ground anyway when it was handed to him.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:40 PM   #72
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a fight press conference, there are few things that are more contrived than that. But as predicted it will be miles more entertaining than the fight itself. They really should be charging fans to attend the pressers.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:51 PM   #73
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Maybe I shouldn't be but am surprised at the amount of cynicism in this thread. The fight could be boring, maybe it will be, but Connor is going to push it and challenge.

The press conferences have been hilarious, McGregor was owning Money's entire team and Showtime, and just controlling the Toronto crowd. Getting in the face of showtime, the well timed quip about Floyd's reading, saying he dresses and acts like a ten year old. It was pretty good off the cuff trash talk.

Bonus points to Dana for the Zuffa shirt.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:10 PM   #74
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
Maybe I shouldn't be but am surprised at the amount of cynicism in this thread. The fight could be boring, maybe it will be, but Connor is going to push it and challenge.
You could write that statement about dozens of other boxers, all of them much better than Connor, who've fought Mayweather. The results speak for themselves.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2017, 09:28 PM   #75
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought today's hype show was awful. Mayweather can't talk smack, and McGregor's lines are totally contrived. It's a show for meatheads in the crowd. I agree, after the fight they'll hug it out and say I respect you for earning a lot of money. It really is a show for suckers.

On a side note, could you not have three more annoying characters on TSN's coverage of this thing? Dutcheychen (sp?), Simmons and this Robin Black guy? Simmons is annoying to begin with, but this Robin Black guy I remember from years back was a cross-dressing hairdresser or something, then went to MMA, then did some of this commentating on The Score, and now they get him for this? He was a total fanboy and couldn't see through this rubbish. As much as Russ Anber was hyper, he was at least credible and made sense, why don't they bring him back?
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2017, 10:08 PM   #76
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I thought Money Mayweather won day 2.
Loved the reaction he illicited from Connor when he grabbed Irish flag.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:32 PM   #77
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it was super boring and contrived. You can tell these guys have been rehearsing. Feels like WWE.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:36 PM   #78
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

While almost entirely contrived, the two quips that made me lol were.

- I make money! - Floyd. You owe money. - Conor

- you look like a 10 year old with your backpack and clothes (or something to that effect).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:41 AM   #79
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is as close as Mayweather will attack McGregor. The guy will hug and run away from Connor McGregor then judges will give him the fight. I cannot stand that c0cky Mayweather and I'll be probably one of those people who'll be ecstatic if he gets his butt kicked.. I am sure it won't happen because like I said he'll just hug and run away from his opponent all night. I won't even waste my money and time watching this circus comes fight time.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:02 AM   #80
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Contrived - sure, give no credit for conor grabbing that money bag and what followed. There's a lot of thinking on his feet and rolling with the punches than people here are giving credit for

They are hyping a fight and doing a damn good job at it

watch Dana White's video blog and you'll see Conor wasn't expecting to give speeches and is a lot less contrived as you think from one side and more shooot from the hip.

Go to 4:08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1LECf334Dc&t

Last edited by Hanna Sniper; 07-13-2017 at 08:08 AM.
Hanna Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hanna Sniper For This Useful Post: