Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-27-2016, 02:42 PM   #201
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just found out a buddy of mine has been brought into the USA Eagles set up as a consultant.

Pretty damn cool.

I am proud of him and happy for him.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 04:22 PM   #202
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another major sporting drought has just been broken in Chicago. Ireland has defeated the All Blacks, ending their record winning streak, and giving the Irish their first ever win over New Zealand since they started playing in 1905.
Old 11-05-2016, 04:28 PM   #203
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow! I know a bunch of guys who went down there for that one, and what a time to be there. First the world series parade/party and now the Irish win (at least one is an Irish citizen). Could see Chicago drunk dry!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:14 AM   #204
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Old 11-07-2016, 12:28 PM   #205
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.raeburnshield.com/

Quote:
The Raeburn Shield is a Challenge Trophy to be put up by the current holder, or defender, in every match it plays home or away (in the same manner as a world boxing title). The winner would either remain or become the holder.

It stretches back in this manner from the very first game of International Rugby Union in 1871 between Scotland and England played at Raeburn Place in Edinburgh (Hence the name).

Quote:
Old 11-07-2016, 02:14 PM   #206
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.worldrugby.org/news/202102

Quote:
WORLD RUGBY MEN’S PLAYER OF THE YEAR NOMINEES

BEAUDEN BARRETT (NEW ZEALAND)
Any fears New Zealand fans may have had about the No.10 jersey following Dan Carter’s retirement have been eased by the scintillating displays of Beauden Barrett in 2016, the 25-year-old having carried his Super Rugby form onto the international stage. The attack-minded player, equally at home at fly-half or full-back, has scored seven tries in 2016 with defences often left flat-footed by his step and turn of pace. Barrett could reach the 50-test milestone by the end of the year.

DANE COLES (NEW ZEALAND)
The All Blacks hooker, who turns 30 next month, is the epitome of the modern-day front row, with his strength, speed and mobility often seeing him pop up on the wing to finish off a flowing move. Dane Coles has started 11 of the All Blacks’ tests in 2016, scoring four tries and strengthening his position as the world’s number one hooker. He also led the Hurricanes to a maiden Super Rugby title in 2016 and could reach 50 tests by the time New Zealand bring the curtain down on a season which saw them equal Lithuania’s record of 18 consecutive test victories.

OWEN FARRELL (ENGLAND)
This year has seen the 25-year-old utilised by coach Eddie Jones as an inside-centre, playing outside George Ford as they did for England U20s. The positional switch has not affected his influence, however, and he finished the Six Nations as top points scorer with 69 and was named man of the match in the final test against Australia in June. This is the second time the Saracens player, who has 44 caps to his name, has been nominated for this award, having lost out to Dan Carter in 2012.

JAMIE HEASLIP (IRELAND)
The Ireland vice-captain is the oldest – he turns 33 next month – and most capped of the six nominees, having reached 94 tests for Ireland and the British and Irish Lions in what is his 10th season as an international player. A talisman of the Irish squad, the Israel-born number eight has scored three tries in his nine matches in 2016, one of them against Italy being nominated for the IRPA Try of the Year 2016. Heaslip was shortlisted for World Rugby Player of the Year in 2009, an award claimed by Richie McCaw.

MARO ITOJE (ENGLAND)
The youngest of the nominees at only 22, Maro Itoje is also nominated for the World Rugby Breakthrough Player of the Year accolade after quickly establishing himself in the England second row since his debut off the bench against Italy in the Six Nations in February. England’s World Rugby U20 Championship-winning captain in 2014, Itoje shows a calmness and maturity beyond his years with nothing seeming to faze the second-row.

BILLY VUNIPOLA (ENGLAND)
The England number eight has come of age in 2016, thriving under the guidance of new coach Eddie Jones who has given him the responsibility of vice-captain and managed to extract the best from the Sydney-born player. Billy Vunipola has played 29 tests since his debut in 2013 and was named man of the match three times in England’s Six Nations Grand Slam-winning campaign for his barnstorming displays.

Coles all day long for my money

Quote:
Old 11-07-2016, 02:20 PM   #207
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dane Coles for me.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:30 PM   #208
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Old 11-07-2016, 06:16 PM   #209
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Coles all day long for my money
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Dane Coles for me.
Barrett for me.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:44 AM   #210
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Barrett for me.
It was close, but he does everything that is expected.

Coles, well he bring the unexpected to playing hooker. Also, if memory serves, Barrett is not a dead eye with his boot.

Quote:
Old 11-12-2016, 07:38 PM   #211
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canada was in it today, until about the 60th minute. They scored and we're seven down at 28-21. Then Ireland ran away with it and scored three quick tries and won 52-21. I've commented before about their last 15-20 minutes and how it's let them down. Today wasn't really different as they were within striking distance and then looked bad.

Overall Canada just had no support for its players at that point, whereas the Irish were at each breakdown in numbers. Hopefully next weekend against Romania they can exact some revenge after last year's RWC defeat. Just to remind you, Canada was up 15-0 and Romania won 17-15...
Old 11-13-2016, 05:15 PM   #212
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Canada was in it today, until about the 60th minute. They scored and we're seven down at 28-21. Then Ireland ran away with it and scored three quick tries and won 52-21. I've commented before about their last 15-20 minutes and how it's let them down. Today wasn't really different as they were within striking distance and then looked bad.

Overall Canada just had no support for its players at that point, whereas the Irish were at each breakdown in numbers. Hopefully next weekend against Romania they can exact some revenge after last year's RWC defeat. Just to remind you, Canada was up 15-0 and Romania won 17-15...
It was great to see the Canadians taking on a top team in front of a huge crowd. Agreed they played great for the first 60 minutes. Keep in mind though it was basically the Irish B team.

I also caught the Wallabies vs Scotland and Argentina vs Wales. Both were great games with exciting finishes. The Northern Hemisphere tests have so far been much more entertaining than the Rugby Championship was.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:15 AM   #213
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It was great to see the Canadians taking on a top team in front of a huge crowd. Agreed they played great for the first 60 minutes. Keep in mind though it was basically the Irish B team.
I don't think there was one of the starting 15 from the team that beat the AB's in Chicago.

Quote:
Old 11-19-2016, 01:17 PM   #214
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ireland launches its bid for the 2023 world cup with 12 stadiums. Four of which are actual rugby stadiums.
http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=263246

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 01:53 PM   #215
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Ireland launches its bid for the 2023 world cup with 12 stadiums. Four of which are actual rugby stadiums.
http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=263246
Would go, basically for sure. RWC is just so awesome and Ireland would be such a great host!

Canada dropped a 21-16 decision to Romania today. People here are upset about the last goal in the Flames game but that officiating was brilliant compared to what Canada experienced today. Romania was constantly laying on the ball, way offside and blatantly coming from offside positions to the ruck. It was just atrocious. Canada did put up a late charge and did have a better second half in general, but I really think that the ref influenced this one significantly.

Don't get me wrong; Canada didn't do themselves any favours with poor handling and issues like that in this one. But it was a close game and the Romanians tying up the ball and not allowing Canada to recycle it quickly made that worse.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:21 AM   #216
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lengthy, but really interesting read on why the 2016 All Blacks are the best in history, and what proves that statistically. http://www.economist.com/blogs/gamet...trugbysideever

As an aside, this shows to me why Canada is so far behind. Specifically the portion when it speaks to the insignificance of the areas that Canada seems to excel at (tackling, and a "direct" style of rugby with not much in the way of creativity). It's long been my view that Canada needs to get the backs involved more and show some creativity and more "running rugby" in general. According to the stats here, the reason that the All Blacks are so dominant is because they dominant in exactly that area. Anyway...great article.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:32 PM   #217
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Barrett for me.
Called it

Quote:
Would go, basically for sure. RWC is just so awesome and Ireland would be such a great host!

Canada dropped a 21-16 decision to Romania today. People here are upset about the last goal in the Flames game but that officiating was brilliant compared to what Canada experienced today. Romania was constantly laying on the ball, way offside and blatantly coming from offside positions to the ruck. It was just atrocious. Canada did put up a late charge and did have a better second half in general, but I really think that the ref influenced this one significantly.

Don't get me wrong; Canada didn't do themselves any favours with poor handling and issues like that in this one. But it was a close game and the Romanians tying up the ball and not allowing Canada to recycle it quickly made that worse.
It is frustrating to see Canada continuing to tread water while other teams have drastically improved in the past few years.

While Canada was once again struggling against Romania, Italy beat the Springboks for the first time ever and Japan only lost by 3 to Wales.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:12 PM   #218
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Springbok player rankings from their loss to Italy lol:

Spoiler!
Old 11-21-2016, 09:24 AM   #219
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/r...-a7429286.html

Quote:
The Australian suffered the injury with 10 minutes left on the clock, which left his finger skewed at a horrendous right angle with the bone clearly exposed.

As with most forwards, Horwill asked the Harlequins physios to simply pop his finger back in place and tape it up in order to allow him to return to the pitch.

The 31-year-old did have the finger repositioned but the nature of the injury was ultimately too severe and the Quins management was forced to replace Horwill with Charlie Mulchrone in the 70th minute.
love it

Quote:
Old 11-21-2016, 10:22 AM   #220
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's long been my view that Canada needs to get the backs involved more and show some creativity and more "running rugby" in general. According to the stats here, the reason that the All Blacks are so dominant is because they dominant in exactly that area. Anyway...great article.

Whenever I watch Canada play I am continually struck by the forwards' inability to:

> break the gain line and create a defense that has to react from the "back" foot. Defenses that face Canada, have the ability to be step up into defense or at least remain in the same spot.

> support each other, which results in quick ball.

Until, Canadian forwards can do these two points on a consistent basis, there will be no creative or running rugby. The Backs simply have no room. The forward lines are easy to defend and the forwards are generally isolated which slows the ball or results in turnovers. The old saying in rugby (which is true) Forwards win games, Backs decide by how much. Until, Canada sorts out their forward play they will not win, and they will not play running creative rugby. I think the coaches see the same thing, as Jamie Cudmore has been called back for the match against Manu Samoa.

Quote:

Last edited by undercoverbrother; 11-21-2016 at 11:02 AM.