Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-18-2017, 01:08 PM   #1201
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
FFG announced Star Wars Legion, an open space SW miniatures war game. Looks to be pretty cool, sort of a X-Wing shoot off on the ground. I imagine they will build it up to eventually include tanks/AT-ST's. MAYBE an AT-AT?

IA also confirmed that a Co-Op app is coming, if you haven't tried Descent with the app yet I highly recommend it. It isn't fool proof, but its a great way to get a great game on the table with less than the required amount of people.
Oh...nooo. Looks like a mix of 40K and Imperial Assault. Unpainted mini's though? I'll stick to X-Wing thanks. FFG has already taken enough of my money.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2017, 02:13 PM   #1202
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
Pathfinder in space?
Exactly.

http://paizo.com/starfinder

Starfinder is here, and it’s fantastic
https://www.polygon.com/2017/8/28/16...-paizo-gen-con

'Starfinder' Brings Fan Favorite Fantasy Tabletop RPG to Space/
https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/arti...p-rpg-to-space

He cites the Star Wars, Alien, and Guardians of the Galaxy franchises among the films he and his team drew from for Starfinder, which is set thousands of years in the future of Paizo's blockbuster Pathfinder franchise. Firefly and The Expanse also make the list, along with the comic book series East of West and Saga. Now Sutter hopes that fans of those works will want to tell their own stories of space adventure with the help of a few friends.

Last edited by troutman; 08-28-2017 at 03:44 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 03:05 PM   #1203
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Gaia Project
I really want to like space conquest games, but mechanically I find neither Twilight Imperium nor Eclipse live up to the potential of the theme.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 03:32 PM   #1204
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Played the Gallerist Wednesday night. Pretty sweet game. First time playing it with four players, and it played pretty smoothly. One guy in our group is a little slower, it took 2 hours 15 minutes. The box says 30 min/player so it ended up being close to that.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:44 PM   #1205
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anyone is there and can bring back a copy of Warring Colonies, if it's on sale, I will be forever grateful. If it's not, it'd still be cool to see some of the stuff.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:06 AM   #1206
This post is terrible
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
Played the Gallerist Wednesday night. Pretty sweet game. First time playing it with four players, and it played pretty smoothly. One guy in our group is a little slower, it took 2 hours 15 minutes. The box says 30 min/player so it ended up being close to that.
That's good to hear, I love games by Vital Lacerda. That's a decent time leangth for a first time
This post is terrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:33 AM   #1207
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
Oh...nooo. Looks like a mix of 40K and Imperial Assault. Unpainted mini's though? I'll stick to X-Wing thanks. FFG has already taken enough of my money.
I dipped my toes into X-Wing, great game. But I prefer IA skirmish, however IA skirmish is a struggling community. This might be a good fit if it catches on.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:17 AM   #1208
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anyone's looking for a good game to play while drinking whisky and beer, Sons of Anarchy is a lot of fun. The mechanics are pretty straightforward worker placement, but the zest of the game comes from everything in the game being negotiable and tradeable. Money, guns, "contraband." What you end up with is a game rife with extortion, threats, and unscrupulous deals. Which is hilarious with the right crowd. And whiskey and beer. It's super-cheap now too - $22 at online game retailers.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 12:52 PM   #1209
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

FYI to whomever is interested,The Sentry Box had 7 copies of Terraforming Mars when I was last there on Thursday.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Timbo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2017, 10:56 AM   #1210
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
FYI to whomever is interested,The Sentry Box had 7 copies of Terraforming Mars when I was last there on Thursday.
Revolution has some too.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:54 PM   #1211
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I haven't played it, but I backed it with some friends. Supposed to arrive in August. I think they hit just shy of 4 mill on the last round of kick starter, that's pretty impressive for a 100 dollar game.
Hey GL - did you get your copy of Gloomhaven yet?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:29 AM   #1212
This post is terrible
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think it's arrived yet, or at least I haven't received mine. On the plus side the Massive Darkness Kickstarter just arrived looks awesome.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:34 AM   #1213
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Old 08-22-2017, 09:55 AM   #1214
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ascension kinda sucks. If you want a relatively simple deck builder, I'd go star realms, which works easily on a phone app.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:08 AM   #1215
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Ascension kinda sucks. If you want a relatively simple deck builder, I'd go star realms, which works easily on a phone app.
I played Star Realms first, and like Ascension more. AI is better - way more cards and combos to try. People want me to try Magic, but it seems too addictive - I would want to collect too many cards.

Race For The Galaxy gets played a lot by me too. The Hard AI is near impossible to beat. Pathfinder Adventures has new Goblin scenarios.

Last edited by troutman; 08-22-2017 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:10 PM   #1216
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
No not yet, I imagine it isn't coming out for a few months still no? Or is it sept?
Old 08-22-2017, 04:30 PM   #1217
This post is terrible
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
I played Star Realms first, and like Ascension more. AI is better - way more cards and combos to try. People want me to try Magic, but it seems too addictive - I would want to collect too many cards.

Race For The Galaxy gets played a lot by me too. The Hard AI is near impossible to beat. Pathfinder Adventures has new Goblin scenarios.
Star Realms was pretty much designed by same team involved with Ascension. I don't see much difference between the two anymore.

Ascension going forward needs to think outside the box, they keep pumping out expansions and it always feels the same, yet Clank! comes out, adds a couple of simple mechanics to what Ascension already is and becomes a huge success.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:36 AM   #1218
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
People want me to try Magic, but it seems too addictive - I would want to collect too many cards.
Magic Duels is a online free-to-play version that has about 2/3rds of the standard card pool.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2017, 08:01 AM   #1219
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Picked up Century Spice Road for a friend yesterday, as a birthday gift. Excited to give it a try, it looks awesome.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:44 AM   #1220
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gloomhaven looks great however I wanted to try a dungeon crawler that is less involved to see how I like it so I picked up Sword and Sorcery.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/.../sword-sorcery
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote