Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-14-2017, 08:24 AM   #2841
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Been a fantastic season and episode, but can't help but notice GoT getting cornier and cornier: jamie's lame fake-out death didn't make a lick of sense, "thought you were still rowing", Gendry being a warhammer all star out of nowhere, Gillies throwaway line about Jon's parentage. I'm now 50/50 on expecting a scene where sam is sleeping, his eyes pop open then he sits straight up in bed blurting "Jon Snow is the rightful heir! Damn it gilly, you should have said something!" then slips on a banana peel or something.

GoT built it's foundation on brutal realism, i'm not enjoying these little winks at the audience.

Last edited by Matata; 08-14-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:31 AM   #2842
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Been a fantastic season and episode, but can't help but notice GoT getting cornier and cornier: jamie's lame fake-out death didn't make a lick of sense, "thought you were still rowing", Gendry being a warhammer all star out of nowhere, Gillies throwaway line about Jon's parentage. I'm now 50/50 on expecting a scene where sam is sleeping, his eyes pop open then he sits straight up in bed blurting "Jon Snow is the rightful heir! Damn it gilly, you should have said something!" then slips on a banana peel or something.

GoT built it's foundation on brutal realism, not enjoying these little winks at the audience.
I think it has to do with how compressed all these episodes are now. They really could have done this season with the standard number of episodes. Instead we have everyone fast travelling and plot lines that took seasons to set up haphazardly pushed together in a couple of scenes. Budget, time and showrunner patience constraints at this point.

So if Jon is the a legitimate trueborn son of Rhaegar, Danny doesn't really have the best claim to the throne anymore. Rhaegar's children should be in line for the throne before Dany.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:37 AM   #2843
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
So if Jon is the a legitimate trueborn son of Rhaegar, Danny doesn't really have the best claim to the throne anymore. Rhaegar's children should be in line for the throne before Dany.
Correct.

I think actually even if he was just a bastard son he'd have more claim than a sister. In a way similar to how Gendry (and Robert's other bastards) was still considered a threat to the Lannisters, illegitimate Cersei spawn details aside.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:46 AM   #2844
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

No talk of just how stupid that plan to capture a zombie is so that they can convince Cersei not to be mean to them?
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2017, 08:48 AM   #2845
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder how effective the Dothraki are going to be against zombies?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:51 AM   #2846
justkidding
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm not one to complain to much about this show but I kind of found it lame how Bronn and Jamie just popped out of the water after everyone left. Jamie Lannister just tried to kill Daenerys and she just picks up and walk away with her dragon after seeing him tossed into the water next to them? Surely she would have had the dragon boil that water to ensure they don't come out? Also how long can these men hold their breaths? That seen was a little too much Fast & Furious for me.
I think they were across the water from where it happened. You could see the smoke in the distance behind them.
justkidding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:57 AM   #2847
steve9981
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Finding out Cersei is pregnant with a fourth child goes against the prophecy told to her by Maggy which makes me think two things. If a child is born it would mean she may not die at the hands of her little brother OR she miscarries and this confirms the prophecy and she will eventually die at the hands of her little brother.
steve9981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:06 AM   #2848
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
No talk of just how stupid that plan to capture a zombie is so that they can convince Cersei not to be mean to them?
The sad part is Cersei won't actually commit to fighting the undead even if they bring proof. Looks like she's entertaining it for the chance to take out Dany during a "truce" and be a slimy snake. Maybe it motivates a few of the lords/houses to send their men up to the wall at the very least, but it could be a waste of some good and able men in our super squad that may meet their doom if a wight doesn't get people to band together for the realm.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:09 AM   #2849
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve9981 View Post
Finding out Cersei is pregnant with a fourth child goes against the prophecy told to her by Maggy which makes me think two things. If a child is born it would mean she may not die at the hands of her little brother OR she miscarries and this confirms the prophecy and she will eventually die at the hands of her little brother.
Maybe she dies during childbirth? That would certainly be an original and ironic way to off a major character.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:10 AM   #2850
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Of all the nitpicking going on about meaningless gripes, this is the one thing that doesn't make sense to me.

This is a major plot point in the story. And it isn't like Cersei has said she doesn't believe them and that's why she's not helping. They have no idea what she believes. They honestly just think that if they bring back a zombie, she'll have no choice but to help them. It makes no sense at all.

They needed to find a better reason to get the supergroup to go beyond the wall.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:13 AM   #2851
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I see a lot of logistical problems with catching and transporting a zombie.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:17 AM   #2852
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

In the first season, the night's watch brought a wight hand down to kings landing, but it rotted during the trip, wights seem to need the cold.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:19 AM   #2853
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I wonder how effective the Dothraki are going to be against zombies?
Probably not nearly as effective as three dragons who I'm sure could just incinerate the lot in a matter of minutes. Really if they just sent the dragons it would be game, set, and match as charred zombies aren't going to be much of a threat to anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkidding View Post
I think they were across the water from where it happened. You could see the smoke in the distance behind them.
Yes they were but consider the time it would take for everyone to evacuate the site and how Bronn could swim with his armor while pulling Jamie across that lake below the surface for a long period that would be required not to be seen. There's suspension of disbelief to enjoy a story about dragons and witches to further a narrative but that kind the line into Michael Bay/F&F silly where people can live through driving cars out of high rise buildings.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 08-14-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2017, 09:22 AM   #2854
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think it's because they know that people still think it's all a myth and children's stories. They probably figure that Cersei could take it as a ploy to get her to lay down their arms and send her men elsewhere to make her vulnerable, and that she would need some convincing. And clearly the war with Dany is more important to her than one against an enemy people don't believe in. It's not too much of a reach.

They could've taken other measures first though of course. Such as trying to work through Sam to convince the Maesters (and you know, getting the maester at Winterfell to help convince the rest of them), or even see how Cersei feels before setting up a zombie exhibit right off the bat. Work some solutions that don't require a suicide mission.

Stupid accelerated timeline. It's exciting but has its downfalls as well..
Old 08-14-2017, 09:25 AM   #2855
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm of the thought that Cersei isn't pregnant. But she knows it is the only way to keep Jaime's ultimate loyalty, especially in light of how he still has that soft spot for Tyrion. She's shown that she will do anything to get and keep power, this is just another play for her.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2017, 09:28 AM   #2856
mac_82
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

As this season seems to be all about reunions, I can't help but wonder if Benjen and Jon are reunited north of the wall. I'm also still holding out hope for the Hound vs the Mountain.

One of the loose ends that still bugs me happened in season 1. When Jon rescued Mormont from the wight, and then Mormont sends Thorne to King's Landing with the wight hand to take to the King and prove the white walkers are back (and to keep him away from Jon). Thorne doesn't come back until season 4, and as far as I know nothing ever happened - unless I somehow missed this detail.

I guess we'll see if a whole wight works instead of just a hand.

*edit* Matata with the answer for the rotting hand.
mac_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:36 AM   #2857
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another really enjoyable episode, just wish we were getting more. The series shines in character interaction, and I feel like a lot of it is getting skipped behind the scenes. Tyrion meeting with Jaime so quickly really surprised me.

And damn I love the screen time Davos is getting this season. Great character.

Last edited by Ashasx; 08-14-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2017, 09:38 AM   #2858
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still on the edge of my seat most times and enjoying the converging storylines, and really excited to see the culmination of a story that has engrossed me for 7 years. Jon's legitimacy and the "still rowing" line were certainly highlights, as was the supergroup at the end.

However, I have to admit the rapid pacing and glossing over of detail is really undermining my expectations and the work done to this point. The change-up is so jarring that it sometimes takes me out of the fantasy, which hasn't really happened until this season.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:45 AM   #2859
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
I see a lot of logistical problems with catching and transporting a zombie.
Catching probably since they're all together.

Once you've got one just put it in a cage. Remove the arms and legs if you need to.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:49 AM   #2860
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

They could've built themselves a little cage or contraption before heading out to apparently just grab a zombie and walk it away from its herd.

Maybe they'll sit around a fire on their way back and get the wight drunk enough to spill juicy secrets about M Night Kingalan.