Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pick the best prospect from the following
Adam Ruzicka 6 2.94%
Alexander Yelesin 20 9.80%
Andrew Nielsen 0 0%
Artyom Zagidulin 8 3.92%
Carl-Johan Lerby 0 0%
Demetrios Koumontzis 24 11.76%
Dmitry Zavgorodniy 61 29.90%
Dustin Wolf 4 1.96%
Eetu Tuulola 5 2.45%
Filip Sveningsson 22 10.78%
Glenn Gawdin 13 6.37%
Jeremy McKenna 2 0.98%
Jon Gillies 25 12.25%
Josh Nodler 0 0%
Justin Kirkland 0 0%
Linus Lindstrom 0 0%
Lucas Feuk 1 0.49%
Luke Philp 1 0.49%
Milos Roman 3 1.47%
Mitchell Mattson 0 0%
Nick Schneider 1 0.49%
Pavel Karnaukhov 0 0%
Rinat Valiev 3 1.47%
Ryan Lomberg 5 2.45%
Spencer Foo 0 0%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2019, 10:47 AM   #21
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everyone left on the list is a long shot at being full time NHLers.

For me it was between Zavgorodniy and Sveningsson. I went with Sveningsson because Zavgorodniy had a bit of a disappointed last season for him. I expected him to increase his production in his 2nd year more than he did.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:52 AM   #22
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoller View Post
Gawdin is only 1 year older than Phillips and scored the same amount of points in his rookie year.
Its a part of the reason why I am hesitant about Phillips as well. A forwards peak years are 24-27. Every year they get closer to 24 we have a better idea of what their potential is. Being 2 years away, there is still room for improvement, but we have an understanding that things would have to change dramatically in a short period for that forward to become a full time NHLer. The book is far from written for a player like Gawdin, but every year after 21 a forward's ceiling is much closer to the floor. I like Gawdin, I think that he has an excellent shot, but of all the long shot players left on this list ( and they are all long shots), he is closer to the back of the pack. Still, I would love to be wrong.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:53 AM   #23
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Little Z and then Svenningson

After that, I’m not sure. I like Zagidulin but he hasn’t played in North America before with legal equipment. Let’s see what he does in the AHL this year.

Yelesin is also intriguing and seems more likely to be able to play a North American game, so maybe he’s next.

Koumontzis has some good potential, as does Roman, Feuk etc. etc. etc. Most of these next prospects are really close together. Nobody voting for anybody would be wrong at this point.

Except if you vote for Mattson. Easily the worst prospect in the system at the moment.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2019, 10:57 AM   #24
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Little Z and then Svenningson

After that, I’m not sure. I like Zagidulin but he hasn’t played in North America before with legal equipment. Let’s see what he does in the AHL this year.

Yelesin is also intriguing and seems more likely to be able to play a North American game, so maybe he’s next.

Koumontzis has some good potential, as does Roman, Feuk etc. etc. etc. Most of these next prospects are really close together. Nobody voting for anybody would be wrong at this point.

Except if you vote for Mattson. Easily the worst prospect in the system at the moment.
I think Roman is a guy flying under the radar right now.

We have a lot of prospects in that second tier. It's difficult to sort them out.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:03 AM   #25
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
He goes right after.

It's really weird that he's getting so many votes right now -- I could see it based on development camp hype (heck, I was way too high on him after the scrimmage), but really digging into it, his numbers aren't more convincing than Sveningsson or Gawdin.

Furthermore, Gillies should be going nowhere near the 10-spot. Closer to 20, I think. He's probably 4th on my goalie prospects depth chart.
He has progressed beautifully as a 4th rounder though. It's pretty impressive to jump straight from High School hockey to the NCAA and put up 20 points in 34 games on a team without a lot of firepower.

Given the fact that he's a full 3 years younger than Gawdin there is much more development runway left. Add in the fact that he is now getting noticed by USA hockey and I think he's a much for valuable prospect than most of the guys you listed.

I don't know enough about these Swedish leagues that Svenningson is playing in, but Gawdin is already 22 years old, Z is undersized and has yet to put up a PPG season despite playing with Lafreniere, Zagidulin is a complete wildcard because he is a goalie, and Lerby is 22 with no NA experience.

I don't think Koumontsziz is getting enough votes personally.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2019, 11:09 AM   #26
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
You know what's funny about Mattson? There were moments at the scrimmage where he was... fine? Like, he threw some really impressive hits and was a better skater than, say, Hunter Smith.

I know, I was surprised too. He's still around 30th on my list but I still have the faintest glimmer of interest.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:14 AM   #27
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
You know what's funny about Mattson? There were moments at the scrimmage where he was... fine? Like, he threw some really impressive hits and was a better skater than, say, Hunter Smith.

I know, I was surprised too. He's still around 30th on my list but I still have the faintest glimmer of interest.
Thanks for reminding me we wasted a 2nd round pick on Hunter Smith. He played in the ECHL last year for the Toledo Walleye. He had 7 goals and 7 assists for 14 points in 40 games. We drafted him 54th overall in 2014. Just ahead of Brandon Montour, Ryan Donato or Christian Dvorak.

The other 2nd rounder (34th overall) we had, we used on Mason McDonald.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:17 AM   #28
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fan, Ph.D. View Post
Gonna be really lonely voting for Tuulola for the next 20 rounds...
I said Lola, Tuulololola, Tuulolololola..duh nuh nuh nuh..nuh-nuh.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:29 AM   #29
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Im surprised there is such a difference in voting between Gawdin and Phillips. They had essentially the same AHL rookie season and have birthdays just under 1 calendar year apart. I can see a small gap for that, but for Phillips to go at #7 and Gawdin much further behind that, I'm not sure what the CP brain trust is doing this year.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:40 AM   #30
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
Im surprised there is such a difference in voting between Gawdin and Phillips. They had essentially the same AHL rookie season and have birthdays just under 1 calendar year apart. I can see a small gap for that, but for Phillips to go at #7 and Gawdin much further behind that, I'm not sure what the CP brain trust is doing this year.
The difference here is that Phillips has a higher pedigree. He was over a point per game in the WHL in his 18, 19, and 20 year old season. He is a small, shifty, skilled guy in the same style as Gaudreau. He struggled with consistency during his first season as a pro, but he had stretches where he looked like a dynamic offensive talent, despite not getting a lot of top 6 ice time. If he has a good start to the season he could flirt with 0.8-1.0 PPG next season.

Gawdin on the other hand is a big guy that was never signed by the team that drafted him. He didn't really pop in the WHL until his 20/21 year old season where he played on a stacked Broncos team. He is still a good prospect, but he is more of a "dime a dozen" type of player.

That's not to say he can't carve out a career in the NHL. I think most people just view Phillips as having a much higher ceiling. Gawdin is a better bet to be a 3rd or 4th liner in the NHL, but it's hard to see him becoming a top 6 forward whereas Phillips still has that potential.

Last edited by bax; 07-17-2019 at 11:47 AM.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:43 AM   #31
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
Gawdin IMO has less likelyhood to make the show than thr Klimchuk, Arnold and Shinkaruk types that have been in our system in past years.

Phillips has some issues, mainly winning board battles, but he's a very dangerlus with a great shot, great vision, high IQ, creative.

Production never tells the whole story. Gawdin was used in the top 6 far more than Phillips last year, but was underwhelming at best.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:44 AM   #32
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

It is interesting how the prospect's entry point seems to matter a lot in voting, compared to age and stats etc.

I remember quietly hoping for Gillies over Rittich, because it seemed like the better draft record to snag your future goaltender in the third round rather than out of nowhere.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:00 PM   #33
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
It is interesting how the prospect's entry point seems to matter a lot in voting, compared to age and stats etc.

I remember quietly hoping for Gillies over Rittich, because it seemed like the better draft record to snag your future goaltender in the third round rather than out of nowhere.
Goalies are weird though.

I can't help but think Parsons is getting the same leeway over a guy like Zagidulin.

Or recency bias as someone else mentioned. I personally don't see how a guy like Nikolaev has proven more than Pospisil, Zavgorodniy or Roman. Being a recent 3rd rounder > than being a less recent 3-7 pick I guess.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:08 PM   #34
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post

I can't help but think Parsons is getting the same leeway over a guy like Zagidulin.

Or recency bias as someone else mentioned. I personally don't see how a guy like Nikolaev has proven more than Pospisil, Zavgorodniy or Roman. Being a recent 3rd rounder > than being a less recent 3-7 pick I guess.
Nikolaev was projected to go much higher. Was in Mckenzie's top 50. That's most likely the reason
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:14 PM   #35
UK flame
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fan, Ph.D. View Post
Gonna be really lonely voting for Tuulola for the next 20 rounds...
I've been with you for a couple and am.sticking with him!
UK flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:06 PM   #36
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This year, Yelesin has more chance to play in NHL than any other prospects.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:11 PM   #37
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post

But Zagidulin triggers Khabibulin in my mind and then I get sad.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:49 PM   #38
Ashes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Yelesin for me, sounds like a guy who could already fill in for injuries next season. Best case maybe even take that #7 spot at camp?

Gio - Anderson
Hanafin - Hamonic
Valimaki - Kylington
Yelesin

Wishful thinking about Kylington moving to the right maybe but he's a great skater and I would rather see him get those minutes than another year in the AHL or as the #7.
I don't know why but I just can't picture Stone suiting up for the Flames next season and I like Yelesin's chances.
Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:55 PM   #39
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that the vote distribution is suggesting that we have hit a third ledge. While other players were voted in a percentage that made it seem they were clearly ahead, a 27% winning vote indicates that the of player left there are no clear favourites. I thought that the next drop off would be after Sveningsson and Zavgorodniy who in my opinion are the last of the players with top 6 potential. Still, it fits just as well here.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:04 PM   #40
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Zavgorodniy for me
Calgary Flames #1 St. Louis Cardinals #1
Gaudreau is a Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote