Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2023, 05:33 PM   #3921
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Me too, I’m not smarter then the market.
Me three. Chasing pennies is a losing proposition as is investing in the renewable transition.
Old 02-04-2023, 12:24 PM   #3922
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just to update the TSLA stock talk from a couple of months ago, it's now trading at $190, up about 85% from its bottom. If anyone is confident that it's way overpriced, they could make some pretty good money with some long-dated options.

Even though I totally disagree with the idea that it's a $30-40 stock, I'm actually kind of tempted. A $100 June 2024 put would return about 100-150% if it dropped back to ~$100 (where it was a month ago) within the next year and 300-400% if it hit $70.

I probably won't, because I still think their margins are too high and the competition too weak right now for it to totally crash like that. But it's still a pretty decent bet.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 05:24 PM   #3923
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never fully understood TSLA, with regards to scaling I never understood how they could break even as it’s a hard market to break in. Now with other companies jumping all in, it’s going to be a tough proposition. Certainly they have a lot of advantages over others, but it won’t be too long that others will wave their heavy hands. Stock may go up, and it may go down but they’re a real gamble where the odds are stacked against them.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 12:05 PM   #3924
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
OK, bought some Amazon today at $86.20. It's back down to pre-pandemic price range so figured it's probably nearing a floor for now. See if it bounces a bit. Please don't consider this buying advice!
Just sold this for a ~40% gain. I never put enough money into these ones!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 12:24 PM   #3925
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If you bought any of these 10 years ago congrats. I first bought AMD in 2002 (!) back then I was convinced Opteron was the next thing.

zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 12:25 PM   #3926
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could have used that chart 10 years ago...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2023, 03:10 PM   #3927
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone into junior mining stocks? Have a family member who inherited some of these type stocks and I'm at a loss as to know how to advise...

Examples of a few:
- KRR.TO (Karora)
- FT.TO (Fortune Minerals)
- ESK.V (Eskay)
- LAB.V (Labrador Gold)
- DSV.TO (Discovery)
- SIC.V (Sokoman)

Any thoughts/insights welcomed.
Old 05-26-2023, 03:12 PM   #3928
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Anyone into junior mining stocks? Have a family member who inherited some of these type stocks and I'm at a loss as to know how to advise...

Examples of a few:
- KRR.TO (Karora)
- ESK.V (Eskay)
- LAB.V (Labrador Gold)
- DSV.TO (Discovery)
- SIC.V (Sokoman)

This might be a good start
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2023, 03:44 PM   #3929
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post

Examples of a few:
- KRR.TO (Karora)
- ESK.V (Eskay)
- LAB.V (Labrador Gold)
- DSV.TO (Discovery)
- SIC.V (Sokoman)

I would advise not giving advice on the matter.

There's only two possibilities - either they all suck or maybe one or more goes to the moon. It isn't predictable in advance which will be the case, and you get blamed if your advice is bad with the benefit of hindsight.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2023, 03:47 PM   #3930
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Could have used that chart 10 years ago...
Like you would listen. You'd come up with bunch of childish quips just like you do now and refuse to see opportunity. You recently bought Amazon and pulled a 40%, could have done 100%+ but noooooooo that company offends you. It's ####ing funny honestly.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 04:06 PM   #3931
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
This might be a good start
yah seems about as close to gambling as one could get...promising reports out of some of these companies, but looks like bit of a crap shoot and may require plenty of patience and intestinal fortitude
Old 05-27-2023, 10:59 AM   #3932
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I would advise not giving advice on the matter.

There's only two possibilities - either they all suck or maybe one or more goes to the moon. It isn't predictable in advance which will be the case, and you get blamed if your advice is bad with the benefit of hindsight.
Should clarify that this wouldn't turn into a "blame game"; just a close relative who's at a loss on how to proceed with these - they'll be getting some professional advice...
Old 05-27-2023, 04:25 PM   #3933
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

In that case I would sell them all, with the caveat that just like lottery tickets one could hit.

Depending how big the positions are it might make sense to layer out of them over time (ie, a market order isn't the way to go here, and even big limit orders will get traded around by others to your disadvantage). Volume will be bigger when there is news.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2023, 10:13 AM   #3934
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am going to do some crazy long-term investing.

I have about 50k of cash that I am going to throw into either https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=357281 or https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/vie...?f=10&t=274390. Haven't decided if I am going to lump sum it or layer it on over the tail of the year.
Just need to decide if I want to put in my taxable or sheltered accounts. If I get wiped on the 50k it won't kill me lol
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 10:39 AM   #3935
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

How are you introducing the leverage to make that work? If it's through margin, isn't that a bigger risk than just losing your $50K? In a large downturn, couldn't you end up underwater while still having to pay interest on the borrowed amount?
Old 06-02-2023, 10:53 AM   #3936
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
How are you introducing the leverage to make that work? If it's through margin, isn't that a bigger risk than just losing your $50K? In a large downturn, couldn't you end up underwater while still having to pay interest on the borrowed amount?
No margin. The underlying ETFs are designed to replicate the daily move of QQQ and SPY by 2 to 3 times. It is a super risky investment strategy though. You are dealing with decay from the instruments themselves and a bet that this current interest rate cycle will end and an inverse correlation between bonds and stocks returns.

I have enough long term money in traditional asset mixes that I can risk a bit. I personally hate picking single stocks for long term performance though and this is the kind of risk I am attracted to. Definitely could be a big old loser.
Old 06-02-2023, 11:13 AM   #3937
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

So just the normal HFEA then? Unless I'm missing something (I just quickly looked at them), those two you linked look like they use margin or futures for leverage, rather than leveraged ETFs. Likely because it's cheaper and it avoids the drag that can happen with 3x ETFs (but it's also more time consuming and probably riskier).

Though if it's a long-term swing for the fences kind of thing and it only makes up a portion of your investments, I'd probably dial back the treasury portion from the 40-45% in HFEA.
Old 06-02-2023, 11:36 AM   #3938
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
So just the normal HFEA then? Unless I'm missing something (I just quickly looked at them), those two you linked look like they use margin or futures for leverage, rather than leveraged ETFs. Likely because it's cheaper and it avoids the drag that can happen with 3x ETFs (but it's also more time consuming and probably riskier).

Though if it's a long-term swing for the fences kind of thing and it only makes up a portion of your investments, I'd probably dial back the treasury portion from the 40-45% in HFEA.
Yeah. Not at my comp but didn’t mean to link the life cycle one. Box spreads will blow people up. I meant to link the second HFEA portfolio and the the ‘modified’ one. There are some different leveraged etfs in sprawled through those pages that make up different risk profiles.
The modified one is interesting if you have the cash or want to access margin but I’m not there today.
Old 06-02-2023, 02:46 PM   #3939
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Half stock, half other topic question, but with Apple set to introduce their AR headset next week, what are people's thoughts? I bought in a few thousand dollars at $153. I think we're ushering in a new era way bigger than the iPhone. From staycations to other things, I think AR will be a gamechanger in the years to come. So for that I think Apple is a winner here.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 04:18 PM   #3940
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Yeah. Not at my comp but didn’t mean to link the life cycle one. Box spreads will blow people up. I meant to link the second HFEA portfolio and the the ‘modified’ one. There are some different leveraged etfs in sprawled through those pages that make up different risk profiles.
The modified one is interesting if you have the cash or want to access margin but I’m not there today.
Just watch out for the volatility drag on leveraged ETFs, as that can tank returns if you buy at the wrong time. In consistently upward markets, the returns can be phenomenal. But in choppy ones, they tend to underperform because they're targeting 3x performance on any given day, and not longer periods.

So for instance, if the S&P drops 3% in a day and then goes up 3.1% the next day, it's flat. But with a 3x leveraged fund tracking daily movements, that ETF would be a 9% drop and a 9.3% increase, which results in a -0.54% return.

Over the long term in the right conditions, that can eat away at returns. You can see that effect over the last 3.5 years or so, where the S&P is up about 34% over its pre-COVID high. You'd expect a 3x fund to basically be up 100% in the time period, but UPRO and SPXL (both 3x S&P 500 ETFs) are only up about 22% because of how choppy the markets have been. That's one of the reasons people might try to get leverage in a different way.

Of course, the reverse is true when the markets are on fire, and the returns will tend to be better than 3x the underlying index, so if you buy at the right time the returns can be insane. $50K invested into TQQQ at the end of 2011 would have been worth nearly $6M 10 years later.
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post: