Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2018, 08:33 AM   #1261
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Venice House had the best pizza in town, hands down. I used to go there all the time when it was in the Huntington Hills location. The closest pizza I can find today to the Venice House "House Special" is at Bona Roma near COP. Their pizza is also called the "House Special". However, I don't find Bona Roma to be very consistent. Sometimes, a bite of their House Special will make memories of the Venice House flood back, but sometimes it's just meh.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:51 AM   #1262
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Does anyone remember the mall in Huntington Hills just north of 64ave as it winds up toward 14th St and Nose Hill?

It had a food for less that sold mostly just dented cans and I cant remember much else. Maybe a bowling alley? Spa Lady or whatever that women's only fitness chain was?

It got knocked down for the condos here: https://goo.gl/maps/KTTiEVKiaaH2
I remember the Texaco gas station near that mall
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2018, 10:27 AM   #1263
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
Omg was that a chain? There was a Venice House in Regina.
I’ve also been to a Venice House and it wasn’t in Huntington hills, could actually have been in Regina, I can’t remmeber, but I know that name.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:33 AM   #1264
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Does anyone remember the mall in Huntington Hills just north of 64ave as it winds up toward 14th St and Nose Hill?

It had a food for less that sold mostly just dented cans and I cant remember much else. Maybe a bowling alley? Spa Lady or whatever that women's only fitness chain was?

It got knocked down for the condos here: https://goo.gl/maps/KTTiEVKiaaH2
I grew up in Beddington and would go to that mall occasionally. I remember the bowling alley (Centennial Lanes?), the convenience store (was Mac's and then later Roxa's or something, and their sign was similar to Mac's with the old yellow and red), Venice House around the back, and also Flicks Video was there for a while as well. Allwest was the grocery store. Inside the mall was always dead. in the late 1980s and early 1990s when I remember it, it always seemed like there were closed shops and hardly anyone ever in there.

I seem to recall one or two places in the middle of the mall where there were some stairs that would go down and there was a tailor in a little area below the main mall. But separate from the bowling alley below.

Mum also bowled down there back in the day. And I recall more than one school bowling trips there as well.

I'd love to see some photos of it, but I doubt that many people thought to photograph that old place.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:02 AM   #1265
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Throwing out some NE love...

Marlborough Mall, with Woolco on the end (before it became Walmart), and Forzani's right beside it (got my first pair of Nike's in grade 1 -- thanks Mom)

Franklin Mall across the street -- Crappy Tire has been there forever, can't remember much else. Vague memories of going to a sports card show one time...

Sunridge Mall up 36th Street -- with the arcade tucked behind the food court.

A little further north was the Food For Less and Fabled Table buffet on 32nd Ave.

Circle back to Village Square Mall on 52nd Street -- there used to be another rockin' buffet in the early 90's, where I filled my fat face with food.

Then down to Transcanada Mall, with K-Mart on the end (not that you'd admit to shopping there).

Miss the days of the small enclosed shopping centre...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2018, 02:11 PM   #1266
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post

There was also a Jumbo Video (with the free popcorn while you looked for movies to rent) which later became A&B Sound just south of Sunridge Mall, where Party City is located now.

There was also a Music World at London Town Square, where the TD Bank is currently located.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:12 PM   #1267
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

When did Deerfoot have traffic lights and where were they?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:33 PM   #1268
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Last ones I remember were at Douglasdale/24th st. Got interchanged about 15 years ago.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2018, 11:10 PM   #1269
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

There were lights at 130th and McKenzie at first as well...
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2018, 12:21 AM   #1270
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I just straight up miss Calgary.

I love living in Vancouver, it obviously has its own issues like any city, but I still think about Calgary on a daily basis.

The foothills. The Bow River. Driving into the Rocky Mountains. I miss the Calgary skyline. Memorial Drive. Peter's Drive In. Inglewood and eating at the Dragon Pearl. Working out at the Talisman Centre (not sure what it's called now). The Stampede. The old Cowboys with the weird mezzanine level overlooking the dance floor with that nasty couch.

Fond memories of Calgary: Watching the Calgary General Hospital getting imploded. That was an oddly Calgarian moment. Just a bunch of people sitting on the hill overlooking Bridgeland as the old hospital was blown up. Red Mile in 2004 was so so so much fun. Like I will not be able to explain how much fun that was to people because being there was so cool. Just growing up in Calgary was such a wonderful experience and I will always be grateful for it.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2018, 01:09 AM   #1271
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Allwest! Thanks!!! forgot about Venice too. it was always a big special occasion. did that mall have an actual name?

Food Giant was the one adjoining Zellers that got razed to make way for Superstore, correct? Anyone remember the carnival in that parking lot every summer?
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 05:25 AM   #1272
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post

Marlborough Mall, with Woolco on the end (before it became Walmart), and Forzani's right beside it (got my first pair of Nike's in grade 1 -- thanks Mom)

Franklin Mall across the street -- Crappy Tire has been there forever, can't remember much else. Vague memories of going to a sports card show one time...

Sunridge Mall up 36th Street -- with the arcade tucked behind the food court.

A little further north was the Food For Less and Fabled Table buffet on 32nd Ave.

Circle back to Village Square Mall on 52nd Street -- there used to be another rockin' buffet in the early 90's, where I filled my fat face with food.

Then down to Transcanada Mall, with K-Mart on the end (not that you'd admit to shopping there).

Miss the days of the small enclosed shopping centre...

Transcanada also had Consumers Distributing.

Oh the shock and joy when they actually had what you wanted in stock.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2018, 07:58 AM   #1273
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Last ones I remember were at Douglasdale/24th st. Got interchanged about 15 years ago.
Remember Crowchild?

Pretty sure when I moved here in 2000 there were lights at Brisbois, Northland, Shag, 53 st, Sarcee, Nose Hill, Stoney Trail. And maybe one at Brentwood road. I think the Charleswood overpass has been there for a while.

It’s crazy how far it has come in 18 years.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:51 AM   #1274
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post

Oh the shock and joy when they actually had what you wanted in stock.

Thanks -- I believe Franklin Mall also had a Consumers Distributing. Amazon 25 years before Amazon...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:16 AM   #1275
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
TransCanada also had a Super Value (or was it Super Valu?). I just remember it being the first place I ever tried Vortooman Cookies.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:33 AM   #1276
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Allwest! Thanks!!! forgot about Venice too. it was always a big special occasion. did that mall have an actual name?

Food Giant was the one adjoining Zellers that got razed to make way for Superstore, correct? Anyone remember the carnival in that parking lot every summer?
I think it was an IGA originally?
And yeah I loved that carnival.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:13 PM   #1277
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post

Deerfoot ended at 22X until the Deerfoot extension was built and opened in 2003. The Douglasdale interchange was the last to open in 2005.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:43 PM   #1278
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tino's Pizza on Centre Street at about 22nd Ave N.E. I used to live within a couple of blocks of the place. One of the best pizzas I've ever had.
Shin Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:48 PM   #1279
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

The Richmond Mall (at Sarcee Trail). Canadian Tire was the anchor tenant, but there was a smallish mall with a food court, pet store, record store, jewellers and some other shops. The space is gone through several incarnations (medical offices, electronics store, fitness centre) and is now a Save-On Foods.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 05:52 PM   #1280
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
Omg was that a chain? There was a Venice House in Regina.
I think it was. There was at least one location in Saskatoon when I was growing up.
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiran403 For This Useful Post:

Tags
a ringa ding dong dandy , a simpler time