Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-10-2017, 03:52 PM   #2161
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Stop bullying other posters. He has an opinion just like you do. He provided a hockey opinion, it would be nice if you did the same instead of attacking him.
Lol okay buddy...if you are gonna say something stupid like blaming the coach for not winning good enough I am gonna call it out. "Good thing the coach had those players who scored those goals they really bailed him out"

That is not an opinion....to harp on the coach every game win or lose is straight up trolling.

The team just had the hardest 3 game stretch any team will endure this season and got 5 of 6 points. Maybe some of us are sick of the fire the coach agenda.

If you think that is bullying I fear how some of you will survive in the real world.

Last edited by dino7c; 12-10-2017 at 03:59 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2017, 04:02 PM   #2162
nemanja2306
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
Given the team’s improved play the last few games, I’m surprised the tone of this thread hasn’t changed much... I’ll give credit where it’s due: Bennett is playing much better, the 3rd line is looking fantastic- Janko has really thrived under GG so far. We look good lately, might be too early to say we’ve turned a corner... but at least give the coach some credit if you’re going to tear him apart when we’re losing. If losing is attributable to coaching, so is winning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because:

A) We've seen this before. Just when you think they are finally playing good, responsible hockey, they just go back to playing how they were before. A few good games, followed by more bad games. Rinse and repeat... I am aware every team has good and bad stretches, but for this team, the bad stretches come far too soon. Gulutzan cannot get this team to play consistent hockey. Until they show they can, GG shouldn't be off the hot seat.

B) This GG coached team still cannot get it done in regulation time. As was pointed out earlier this thread, in a year and a half since he took over, the Flames are below .500 in regulation. Even during this (what do I call it? Well playing?) streak we lost against the Leafs in a SO, we beat Montreal in OT and, granted, we did beat Vancouver in regulation. It doesn't bode well for playoffs.

As most know, I am one of the most vocal posters on everything related to GG. I don't think he's the right coach for this team, I don't think he is the one that can take this team to the next level. This goes back to last year, not just this one. In 100+ game he's coached, IN MY OPINION, I don't see a guy that is capable of taking a team to the Cup. For instance, I'm not seeing any real progress from the Flames.
nemanja2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nemanja2306 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2017, 04:35 PM   #2163
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Not true at all.
I see Toronto fans complaining about Babcock all the time. For the same stuff GG gets criticized for - player usage, etc.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2017, 04:54 PM   #2164
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
If it was up to some fans, each team would go through 3 or 4 coaches a season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Not true at all.
Last year, people were calling for Gulutzan to be fired after the first five games. If it were up to that kind of fan, some teams would go through more like 10 or 12 coaches a season.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:01 PM   #2165
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames are as consistent as most teams, if not moreso. Only one three game losing streak, and that was a SO loss they easily could have won. Check out the game logs of any other team except maybe the Blues. Check out the scores.

The Canucks game was a great overall effort. They were maybe outplayed in the first 10 and about 5 minutes of the third. All four lines played fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2017, 09:56 PM   #2166
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

The team is playing more sound which is good. The goals against and PK has improved to where it should be performing.

But my god, what is is gonna take for the coaching staff to finally try some different with the PP? Different personnel, different strategy, anything. It's simply not working, and their refusal to adjust is mind-boggling. It actually works in the opposing team favour since it gives them momentum, and they tend to get better chances short handed than the Flames can with a two man advantage. Just embarrassing to look at.
Joborule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:37 PM   #2167
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Win one lose one. Fairly mediocre team so far that the management group thinks is ready to contend. Do they just wait it out and hope the team gets hot and makes the playoffs? Do they make a small trade to tinker with the roster? Do they make a blockbuster deal sending out a core member for a new core piece? Or do they make a move and fire the coach to see if a new voice can get more out of this team?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:39 PM   #2168
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Fix the PP.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:42 PM   #2169
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

WHY has Stone not been tried on the PP he has one of the better point shots on the roster. There is no need to roll 4 forwards on the first unit.

I move Dougie and Gio to the top unit and Brodie and Stone to the second unit. Brouwer on the bench.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2017, 10:44 PM   #2170
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
WHY has Stone not been tried on the PP he has one of the better point shots on the roster.
Has anyone ever asked Gulutzan about this?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:44 PM   #2171
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
WHY has Stone not been tried on the PP he has one of the better point shots on the roster. There is no need to roll 4 forwards on the first unit.

I move Dougie and Gio to the top unit and Brodie and Stone to the second unit. Brouwer on the bench.
He was used on the power play in the last couple games. He consistently missed the net and in fact made a couple self- zone clears.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:44 PM   #2172
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think it's very possible that the three-game stretch with Montreal Toronto and Vancouver saved his job. I've been trying to convince myself that he was like a young player that will get better as time goes on and he gains experience.

I'm now convinced that that is not true. He is so rigid when it comes to what he thinks will lead to winning hockey.

Since the beginning of time a big clapper from the point has been important on the power play but this genius thinks it doesn't matter at all. We also use a 4th line winger on the first power play unit. A young guy that was a stud playing on the right side as a left handed defenseman has looked lost and floundered since he's been forced to the other side but not even for one second has he been given the opportunity to do what worked so well in the past.

I throw my hands up in the air with this coach and I'm convinced that we go nowhere as long as he's the guy behind the bench.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:50 PM   #2173
GeoRock
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The Flames are as consistent as most teams, if not moreso. Only one three game losing streak, and that was a SO loss they easily could have won. Check out the game logs of any other team except maybe the Blues. Check out the scores.

The Canucks game was a great overall effort. They were maybe outplayed in the first 10 and about 5 minutes of the third. All four lines played fine.
This is an odd argument. So we should be fine to watch our team consistently underperform? We are 10/15 in our conference and currently sitting out of a playoff spot 1/3 into the season after pulling in the 'best D on paper' this summer. Clearly there are many teams that are consistently better than the flames this year.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
GeoRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:56 AM   #2174
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Baring an imminent winning streak, I predict Darryl Sutter returns before January 4th, 2018. Two dates stand out to me when looking at the schedule - Saturday December 23 and Tuesday January 2nd...

The more I think about it, the more imminent it seems. The organisation has gone quiet, but we know Brad Tre is all in. The team on paper is too good. Ken King and Edward Murray have a good relationship with Sutter and he preaches a style that Brian Burke likes.

The clock is ticking...
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:59 AM   #2175
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Every loss = fire GG.

Nice.

We’ve been playing solid hockey as of late, just need to bury the chances. If we won the Minnesota game and got a point out of this one no one would be complaining. I give GG the rest of December. If our team is still playing as well as they have been for the past 5 games, you have to think we’ll win more games.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 06:41 AM   #2176
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Not a fan of GlueGun throwing Johnny under the bus for his turnover. Hey GlueGun, youve cost this team a lot more than Johnny has. Take some accountability yourself first.

Hope GlueGun getting fired is the big gift for Flames' fans this year.
If nothing changes by January were gonna be way down in the standings and with no chance at a playoff spot.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taco.vidal For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2017, 07:13 AM   #2177
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I don't think this is the staff to get this team to the next level like Treliving wanted/hoped. I also get that this will be the staff that sees this team through the remainder of the season unless things really go off the rails. Its so frustrating as we've seen the issues that plague the team now work so well last season but at the same time the only reason last season could be considered a success was that they made the playoffs due to Elliott's record tying streak. Without that, where would they have finished? Does Smith have that kind of run in him?

I've done my fair share of complaining about the coach, but I also understand that its on the players to execute. Right now its a shared failure, but next season I hope to see things simplified to the point where our players can play to their strengths rather than conform to a style that accentuates their weaknesses. If thats with a different coach, well, we'll see.

Last edited by Toonage; 12-15-2017 at 07:16 AM.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:18 AM   #2178
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Every loss = fire GG.

Nice.

We’ve been playing solid hockey as of late, just need to bury the chances. If we won the Minnesota game and got a point out of this one no one would be complaining. I give GG the rest of December. If our team is still playing as well as they have been for the past 5 games, you have to think we’ll win more games.
I've said it before and I'll repeat it. I appreciate the coach's defenders because they have something I lack - patience.

However, deep down I think even they know that we have the wrong coach. He has coached all the creativity out of this team. Even the wins are boring.

It's fine to preach patience but when game 82 rolls around we will be on the outside looking in and at that point I know that all of us in here will be left to wonder what could have been if we'd had an actual NHL coaching staff.

To make matters worse, Garth Snow, the most maligned GM of the past decade will use our first round pick in the NHL entry draft because we mortgaged the future for this version of our beloved Flames. Let's hope that lottery ball doesn't take a miraculous hop like it did for New Jersey and Philadelphia last year.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:25 AM   #2179
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

My assessment of Gully remains constant at this point, and that is that he is a coach undeserving of praise.

Treliving will have to make the call at the end of the day as to whether or not he finds this team having a 50/50 shot of making the playoffs acceptable. As a fan, I certainly don’t.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2017, 07:27 AM   #2180
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racki View Post
I've said it before and I'll repeat it. I appreciate the coach's defenders because they have something I lack - patience.

However, deep down I think even they know that we have the wrong coach. He has coached all the creativity out of this team. Even the wins are boring.

It's fine to preach patience but when game 82 rolls around we will be on the outside looking in and at that point I know that all of us in here will be left to wonder what could have been if we'd had an actual NHL coaching staff.

To make matters worse, Garth Snow, the most maligned GM of the past decade will use our first round pick in the NHL entry draft because we mortgaged the future for this version of our beloved Flames. Let's hope that lottery ball doesn't take a miraculous hop like it did for New Jersey and Philadelphia last year.
I was just saying this the other day. Even the wins are uninspired boring wins that are always down to the final seconds. The team recently bought in and now the top line has been suffocated by the lack of creativity allowed by the system.

At the end of the day its not an exciting time to be a Flanes fan, and it should be.

Last edited by Moneyhands23; 12-15-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post: