Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 07:16 AM   #6161
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

About time!!
Old 11-29-2017, 07:23 AM   #6162
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reading that link it doesn't seem to specifically say the route around to Nose creek will be open too. Definitely looking like the Baines bridge and new 12th street bridge into Inglewood will be up and running.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:14 AM   #6163
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edit: I see what you are saying. Thinking that the path might just go to the bridge and you cross the brigde into inglewood and not able to continue north past the bridge to nose creek?

On the facebook page for the event the city says the paths will be open:

https://www.facebook.com/events/9361...tab=discussion
The Following User Says Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2017, 08:16 AM   #6164
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I sure hope so
Old 11-29-2017, 10:49 PM   #6165
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anybody ride along McKnight between Centre St and McCall? Google generates a bike route, but it looks dodgy.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:52 PM   #6166
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Reading that link it doesn't seem to specifically say the route around to Nose creek will be open too. Definitely looking like the Baines bridge and new 12th street bridge into Inglewood will be up and running.

Wasn’t that supposed to be re-opened this last week? I thought with the good weather construction could have been finished.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:31 AM   #6167
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Does anybody ride along McKnight between Centre St and McCall? Google generates a bike route, but it looks dodgy.
I don't, but a few of us on twitter were discussing routes across Deerfoot a couple of days ago (and the lack of safe options). I rode across Deerfoot on 64th a few times this year, not a fun experience and that was with me putting the hammer down and hauling as fast as I could.

Personally I'd stay away from McKnight and go either north up to 64th or south and take the pedestrian bridge over Deerfoot at Fox Hollow.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:26 AM   #6168
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Tonight I'll be riding home from work for the first time in about 6 weeks. Downtown to 130th ave SE. Anything change along that route, or things I should be aware of?

Is BeaverDam Flats open yet?
I assume 17th ave SE bridge crossing is still closed.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:20 AM   #6169
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I don't, but a few of us on twitter were discussing routes across Deerfoot a couple of days ago (and the lack of safe options). I rode across Deerfoot on 64th a few times this year, not a fun experience and that was with me putting the hammer down and hauling as fast as I could.

Personally I'd stay away from McKnight and go either north up to 64th or south and take the pedestrian bridge over Deerfoot at Fox Hollow.
That's what I thought. Doesn't look like much of a clear path to get to that south side of the airport.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:47 AM   #6170
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
That's what I thought. Doesn't look like much of a clear path to get to that south side of the airport.
I live West of Deerfoot around McKnight Blvd and the above are the 2 best. as far as lack of traffic they are about the same you'll have to deal with roads/parking lots.

My favorite is the path to no where that is attached to McKnight by the airport, would be nice if they would of built a pedestrian bridge on the south side of McKnight to get over Deerfoot. I have seen a couple of guys riding eastbound up McKnight and I would definitely not attempt, I believe it is 70km/h on that section too with not much of a shoulder over.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:15 PM   #6171
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought my first bike since I was a teenager last week, GT Vantara Comp Men's Gunmetal 700C Urban. Sport Chek had it reduced from $799 to $559, and I really wanted to get back into cycling. I'll definitely have to keep an eye on this thread to find some good spots to take it out.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2017, 12:17 PM   #6172
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The good spots to take it out are "everywhere." The time to take it out is "now and always." Enjoy!
Old 11-30-2017, 12:20 PM   #6173
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The good spots to take it out are "everywhere." The time to take it out is "now and always." Enjoy!
I might avoid days when there's snow on the ground; it has skinny road bike tires on it right now.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:22 PM   #6174
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I might avoid days when there's snow on the ground; it has skinny road bike tires on it right now.
*Fuzz checks forecast*
I've got good news for you!

Honestly, the river paths are in good condition, and most side streets and parks are fine. Their may be a few icy spots but you can work around them.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:11 PM   #6175
redflamesfan08
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Tonight I'll be riding home from work for the first time in about 6 weeks. Downtown to 130th ave SE. Anything change along that route, or things I should be aware of?

Is BeaverDam Flats open yet?
I assume 17th ave SE bridge crossing is still closed.

Last time I went that way was 4 weeks ago and I still had to detour through Millican Estates.

Anyone know how "friendly" any of the N-S routes from Canyon Meadows to downtown are? Moved recently and I'd like to get some miles in while winter is at bay, but the river pathway looks like it will make the morning trip too long for my liking.
The Following User Says Thank You to redflamesfan08 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2017, 04:49 PM   #6176
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

It's nice to see the path beside Quarry Park open again. The detour wasn't terrible but this much nicer.

Going to take advantage of the weather tomorrow and try to get out for a December Century (metric).

Last edited by KTrain; 12-09-2017 at 05:31 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2017, 08:14 PM   #6177
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wondered what they were doing along the riverbank that required keeping the path closed for that long? Lots of days it seemed like nothing much was going on, so I guess it was a typical government project.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:37 PM   #6178
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Only managed 75km but damn that was a beauty day.

Though I did bail on some ice along the canal path. I even unclipped, slowed down and was just going to coast over it. Hit a rut and slicks were above my head in half a second. A gross shin bruise/scrape and hurt pride didn't prevent me from finishing the last 50km.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2017, 10:07 PM   #6179
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redflamesfan08 View Post
Last time I went that way was 4 weeks ago and I still had to detour through Millican Estates.

Anyone know how "friendly" any of the N-S routes from Canyon Meadows to downtown are? Moved recently and I'd like to get some miles in while winter is at bay, but the river pathway looks like it will make the morning trip too long for my liking.
I'm I'm braeside eso not too far at all from canyon Meadows. Easiest route downtown is take the pedestrian bridge over Anderson between canyon Meadows and southwood. Follow the bike path to Sacremento drive then just head straight north cross Southland drive on to Hadon road. Take that to Heritage and cross and go a half block west on the sidewalk. You will see an entry onto 5th Street. Take 5th Street all the way to Glenmore. Cross Glenmore on the crosswalk/overpass. And then take either 5th or meadow view to 58th Ave and the your back on 5th Street. Take that all the way north to 4a street then take that all the way to the Stanley park bike path. From there just follow the bike path to 5th Street again where you can pick up the dedicated bike Lanes.

This route is the best way to downtown from my place anyways. And is generally in good condition and consists 100% of bike routes.
The Following User Says Thank You to gasman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2017, 10:09 PM   #6180
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redflamesfan08 View Post

I'm I'm braeside so not too far at all from canyon Meadows. Easiest route downtown is take the pedestrian bridge over Anderson between canyon Meadows and southwood. Follow the bike path to Sacremento drive then just head straight north cross Southland drive on to Hadon road. Take that to Heritage and cross and go a half block west on the sidewalk. You will see an entry onto 5th Street. Take 5th Street all the way to Glenmore. Cross Glenmore on the crosswalk/overpass. And then take either 5th or meadow view to 58th Ave and then you're back on 5th Street. Take that all the way north to 4a street then take that all the way to the Stanley park bike path. From there just follow the bike path to 5th Street again where you can pick up the dedicated bike Lanes.

This route is the best way to downtown from my place anyways. And is generally in good condition and consists 100% of bike routes.
The Following User Says Thank You to gasman For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread