Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What role do humans play in contributing to climate change?
Humans are the primary contributor to climate change 395 63.00%
Humans contribute to climate change, but not the main cause 164 26.16%
Not sure 37 5.90%
Climate change is a hoax 31 4.94%
Voters: 627. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-14-2019, 02:30 PM   #1521
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I'm just laughing my ass off how much she seems to trigger and rile up the angry right. She is like their kryptonite. The reactions have been comical and highly entertaining.
This is exactly why she’s being used as a pawn. If anyone criticizes her, they’re apparently “triggered”. It doesn’t matter that she’s in no way qualified to make her pronouncements, or that she hasn’t got any actual solutions anyway (if they were unqualified to begin with).
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 02:44 PM   #1522
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Climate change and human responsibility

She is a pawn from the perspective of the people against what she is standing for. If there was an antithesis of her, she would just be a proud young girl standing up for her views. You don’t see a lot of people decrying the same thing about Malala Yousafzai or worrying about her mental health.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 02:48 PM   #1523
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
This is exactly why she’s being used as a pawn. If anyone criticizes her, they’re apparently “triggered”. It doesn’t matter that she’s in no way qualified to make her pronouncements, or that she hasn’t got any actual solutions anyway (if they were unqualified to begin with).
What qualifications does she require? She’s relaying the message to the world from those who have them. Isn’t that good enough?

I don’t know if she has solutions or not (like I said I don’t pay attention to what she says) but why would she need them? Do you have to know how to fight a fire before you can call the fire department?

Maybe she’s a pawn, maybe she’s not. The important thing is what she’s saying true. Attack her message if it’s untrue. Attacking her just shows me you can’t refute it.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 03:01 PM   #1524
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
She is a pawn from the perspective of the people against what she is standing for. If there was an antithesis of her, she would just be a proud young girl standing up for her views. You don’t see a lot of people decrying the same thing about Malala Yousafzai or worrying about her mental health.
Lol, come on. You’re equating a girl who was shot in the head and battles for girls education with a girl who decided that she’d protest for climate action? I mean they’re not remotely similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
What qualifications does she require? She’s relaying the message to the world from those who have them. Isn’t that good enough?

I don’t know if she has solutions or not (like I said I don’t pay attention to what she says) but why would she need them? Do you have to know how to fight a fire before you can call the fire department?

Maybe she’s a pawn, maybe she’s not. The important thing is what she’s saying true. Attack her message if it’s untrue. Attacking her just shows me you can’t refute it.
I don’t know, but when you meet the PM and tell everyone we aren’t doing enough, I think some qualifications might be pertinent. I guess it’s just me, but I think I prefer experts and people with education to make their comments.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 03:57 PM   #1525
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
She is a pawn from the perspective of the people against what she is standing for.
What does she stand for? I honestly don't know.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:28 PM   #1526
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Malala grew up under a Taliban regime, literally risking her life to tell her story as a child, was shot in the head and continued her fight afterwards.
I’m not saying this young lady has it easy, as clearly she is mentally and emotionally worried to say the least. But to equate these two people is very, very unjust.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:39 PM   #1527
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
What does she stand for? I honestly don't know.
If only you posted that on a device that could provide all the answers you ever needed, especially information on well-worn topics... if only.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 06:06 PM   #1528
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Between this thread, my LinkedIn and facebook feeds the last month or so, there is a large group of people that have completely embarrassed themselves. We pride ourselves on the freedom of speech, yet when a teenager echoes the words of 1000s of scientists (whether right or wrong), a large group of people have elected to respond in a manner that is intended to intimidate, bully or be outright aggressive. It is embarrassing.

I understand that this results from fear that many have about their livelihoods and identity in their careers. However, this response of intimidation and attack of the person as opposed to the ideas is doing a huge disservice to the province and future. Alberta is not separating, the Canadian economy is not imminently crashing as a result of this, but we sure are putting ourselves in a huge hole by not having difficult conversations about this now and instead trying to spread a message of hate against a teenager.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:18 PM   #1529
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Most of the ideas that 'celebrities' promote are not based in reality.

No pipelines? Unequivocal evidence that such a stance is going to lead to higher carbon output.

No more oil? Not practical, nor attainable. Which one of the celebrities are going to park their private jet first?

On and on.

I think most people are simply sick and tired of privileged people telling them how to live or what they need to stop doing.

I tend to agree. Plus, most practical, common sense ideas are simply ignored these days.
Azure is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 06:30 PM   #1530
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
Between this thread, my LinkedIn and facebook feeds the last month or so, there is a large group of people that have completely embarrassed themselves. We pride ourselves on the freedom of speech, yet when a teenager echoes the words of 1000s of scientists (whether right or wrong), a large group of people have elected to respond in a manner that is intended to intimidate, bully or be outright aggressive. It is embarrassing.

I understand that this results from fear that many have about their livelihoods and identity in their careers. However, this response of intimidation and attack of the person as opposed to the ideas is doing a huge disservice to the province and future. Alberta is not separating, the Canadian economy is not imminently crashing as a result of this, but we sure are putting ourselves in a huge hole by not having difficult conversations about this now and instead trying to spread a message of hate against a teenager.
Won't someone please think of the children. Groan.

BTW if you want to find out what intimidation and bullying feels like, express even a little skepticism that climate change is as severe and dire and a person like Greta is saying. And please tell us what those ideas are.
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 07:49 PM   #1531
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Won't someone please think of the children. Groan.

BTW if you want to find out what intimidation and bullying feels like, express even a little skepticism that climate change is as severe and dire and a person like Greta is saying. And please tell us what those ideas are.
I know when I feel bullied for questioning science, I look for the nearest teenager to take it out on. That’ll teach ‘em.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 08:11 PM   #1532
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But Slava, she's a teenager, she's drawing climate change to the forefront of discussion... that's it. Right or wrong, she's a vehicle for that global issue, like other climate activist in a growing global movement for action, which has been happening for a decade already. Expecting her to have all the solutions is quite unfair; not even senior, highly educated scientists do. To me, it's just funny how much she triggers the 'right', and particularly the right. It speaks more of a general state of partisan politics than anything.

Plus, this girl hasn't even been to Alberta yet; maybe she doesn't trash it in that way that people are thinking she will? None of us know her travel agenda or who she's meeting with. Maybe us, as Alberta citizens, should take the high route and take a 'wait and see' approach before deciding to criticize her?

What we do know is that Calgary City Council and the Tsuu T'ina Nation have already invited her to visit them while here:

Councillor invites activist Greta Thunberg to Calgary during Alberta visit

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...-visit-alberta

Last edited by Muta; 10-14-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:12 PM   #1533
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I know when I feel bullied for questioning science, I look for the nearest teenager to take it out on. That’ll teach ‘em.
Do you sit around constantly thinking of new ways to drive-by post and be a dick in general? Because you're really good at it.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:29 PM   #1534
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It doesn’t matter that she’s in no way qualified to make her pronouncements, or that she hasn’t got any actual solutions anyway (if they were unqualified to begin with).
Nobody listens to the qualified people. What makes someone qualified? You can accuse anyone of being unqualified. The 'experts' are experts in their narrow fields...the emissions guy doesn't know enough about the economics; the economics guy doesn't know enough about public policy; the policy guy doesn't know enough about oceanography, etc. Bill Nye has been one decent spokesperson, but you could easily argue that he is unqualified.

They have done an decent job of bringing their knowledge together and figuring what is likely to happen in scenarios A through Z. They've probably done an almost okay job of coming up with [relatively] pragmatic plans that could help correct course, but this is a pretty darn tough thing to do considering the innumerable interests and variables involved. What they've utterly failed to do is get many people to actually care [very much].

Enter Greta. Certainly she is unqualified - probably moreso than most who have come before her. But, she has succeeded in one area where all others have failed - she has gotten more people to demonstrate that they care about this than ever before.

Cynically, you can say that anger and frustration are the easiest emotions to exploit. You can also say that she has used a lot of hyperbole and idealism. You can also say that these protests are unproductive.

All of these things are true, so we might as well pack it in and go home. Nitpicking Greta is really just advocating apathy. Which is pretty silly when you really think about it. What major social reforms have occurred without anger, hyperbole, idealism, and a bunch of unproductive protests?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:37 PM   #1535
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Does this sound legit to anyone?
Quote:
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change.
Good luck trying to reason with a person that believes the above, everything is already known we have the solution all we need to do is act.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:57 PM   #1536
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

OMG! Runaway Climate Change!

OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:15 PM   #1537
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Nobody listens to the qualified people. What makes someone qualified? You can accuse anyone of being unqualified. The 'experts' are experts in their narrow fields...the emissions guy doesn't know enough about the economics; the economics guy doesn't know enough about public policy; the policy guy doesn't know enough about oceanography, etc. Bill Nye has been one decent spokesperson, but you could easily argue that he is unqualified.

They have done an decent job of bringing their knowledge together and figuring what is likely to happen in scenarios A through Z. They've probably done an almost okay job of coming up with [relatively] pragmatic plans that could help correct course, but this is a pretty darn tough thing to do considering the innumerable interests and variables involved. What they've utterly failed to do is get many people to actually care [very much].

Enter Greta. Certainly she is unqualified - probably moreso than most who have come before her. But, she has succeeded in one area where all others have failed - she has gotten more people to demonstrate that they care about this than ever before.

Cynically, you can say that anger and frustration are the easiest emotions to exploit. You can also say that she has used a lot of hyperbole and idealism. You can also say that these protests are unproductive.

All of these things are true, so we might as well pack it in and go home. Nitpicking Greta is really just advocating apathy. Which is pretty silly when you really think about it. What major social reforms have occurred without anger, hyperbole, idealism, and a bunch of unproductive protests?
I just don’t agree that no one listens to experts. We all know about climate change and we all know we need to take some action to deal with it. What that action should be and what we need to do is the debate. I could be wrong, but I don’t think Greta has added to that portion of the discussion at all?
Old 10-14-2019, 09:17 PM   #1538
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
But Slava, she's a teenager, she's drawing climate change to the forefront of discussion... that's it. Right or wrong, she's a vehicle for that global issue, like other climate activist in a growing global movement for action, which has been happening for a decade already. Expecting her to have all the solutions is quite unfair; not even senior, highly educated scientists do. To me, it's just funny how much she triggers the 'right', and particularly the right. It speaks more of a general state of partisan politics than anything.

Plus, this girl hasn't even been to Alberta yet; maybe she doesn't trash it in that way that people are thinking she will? None of us know her travel agenda or who she's meeting with. Maybe us, as Alberta citizens, should take the high route and take a 'wait and see' approach before deciding to criticize her?

What we do know is that Calgary City Council and the Tsuu T'ina Nation have already invited her to visit them while here:

Councillor invites activist Greta Thunberg to Calgary during Alberta visit

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...-visit-alberta

Oh I have no doubt that no matter what we do or say she's going to trash us.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:21 PM   #1539
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I just don’t agree that no one listens to experts. We all know about climate change and we all know we need to take some action to deal with it. What that action should be and what we need to do is the debate. I could be wrong, but I don’t think Greta has added to that portion of the discussion at all?
Yes she has, says we already have the solution. Apparently the most challenging endeavour in history has been solved we can replace all carbon heavy energy with carbon neutral green solutions.

But we won't because corporations are pure evil.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:38 PM   #1540
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Oh I have no doubt that no matter what we do or say she's going to trash us.
What if, in a plot twist, she's been sent by the WWE to surprise announce the new NXT Canada brand, establishing the Legion downtown as the brand's new home, ala Full Sail University?

I mean, no one has denied it thus far.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post: