Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2018, 11:37 AM   #81
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have to wonder why Peters didn't play Lindholm with Aho and Teravainen in Carolina, which is what the Canes are doing with Ferland.

There is obviously a bit of luck for both Lindholm and Ferland this early in the season but both guys have always had the potential to be top line guys.

Ferland's skill is severely underrated on this board. Consistency and desire has always been his issue. Does he want to fulfill his potential or is he satisfied with what he has already accomplished (which is already a lot given what he has had to overcome, not trying to slight him at all).

Back to Lindholm, I remember watching his highlights and games in his draft year, and he looked like a poor mans' version of Peter Forsberg. The strength on the puck, the elusive turns, the puck handling, the physicality. I preferred him to Monahan at the draft.

I don't think Lindholm will be a point per game guy but will likely score in the 60 to 70 point range in his prime while playing a good two way game.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:44 AM   #82
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

He clearly spent a ridiculous amount of time working on that shot over the summer. Love that quick wrister he uses when receiving cross ice passes from Johnny. ####ing beautiful

Last edited by Beninho; 10-30-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2018, 12:01 PM   #83
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

He's already halfway to all the goals he scored last year (16) in 81 games - and we're only 12 games in. His career high is 17 in 81 games.

At this rate he'll score 54 goals in 81 games, taking some dry spells into account - a very conservative 30 goals is more then within the realm of reality - it's very probable. (a serious injury aside) - WOW.... and all for 4.85 million per season.
JackIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:10 PM   #84
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Have to wonder why Peters didn't play Lindholm with Aho and Teravainen in Carolina, which is what the Canes are doing with Ferland.

There is obviously a bit of luck for both Lindholm and Ferland this early in the season but both guys have always had the potential to be top line guys.

Ferland's skill is severely underrated on this board. Consistency and desire has always been his issue. Does he want to fulfill his potential or is he satisfied with what he has already accomplished (which is already a lot given what he has had to overcome, not trying to slight him at all).

Back to Lindholm, I remember watching his highlights and games in his draft year, and he looked like a poor mans' version of Peter Forsberg. The strength on the puck, the elusive turns, the puck handling, the physicality. I preferred him to Monahan at the draft.

I don't think Lindholm will be a point per game guy but will likely score in the 60 to 70 point range in his prime while playing a good two way game.
I don't believe Peters had the depth in Carolina last year that he does now. He was basically forced to use Lindholm in a different line to avoid being a truely one line team. He is much more complete player than Ferland, and I think we are seeing that now, and was more versitile to anchor a second line. Carolina can add Ferland to the first line as a sniper without giving up lower down in the line-up, I don't think that they could have said the same thing last year.

Back to Ferland, I don't think his skill is underrated on this board at all, you nailed it about his consistency and I think most posters would agree. There are some detractors but overall I would say CP recognzied the skill and shot he had but it was constantly overshadowed by his consistency.

Lindholm's shot has suprised me the most. Not the power that Ferland has, but it is such a quick release and so much more accurate. From what I heard and read I expected the strong board play and good defensive instincts, but I expected another playmaker, not the goal scorer we have seen so far.

You are probably right with the point projections. But it wouldn't surprise me to see him pull a season as a PPG once or twice, especially playing with Gaudreau and Monahan.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:31 PM   #85
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Given his point totals in previous seasons, Lindholm has far surpassed my expectations. Although, if I'm honest the only Canes games I watched were those against the Flames, so I was only stat watching and didn't really know much about the player.

I definitely didn't expect his shot to be so good.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:37 PM   #86
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

I remember reading in this off-season that while in Carolina, Peters wanted Lindholm to use his shot more often. So clearly it was one of his assets that the coach was aware of.

Of course, having a linemate as skilled as Johnny dish the puck over while you're in perfect position probably helps too.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:48 PM   #87
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

It so good for Johnny to have a skilled right-handed shooter that he can set up. I would love to see them try Lindholm at the dot on his off-wing on the powerplay. Similar to the classic set up that teams that have right-handed snipers use (ovechkin, stamkos, Laine, seguin). Of course he has never been anything at that level of sniper but the way he is using his quick release this year makes me think he could thrive in that spot.

And he’s a great passer as well so he can open up plays to monahan in the slot and gaudreau on the other side. Gaudreau meanwhile can be setting up Lindholm for one-timers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2018, 12:56 PM   #88
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Monster start to the season.

8 goals and 58.7 FO%, good for 8th and 9th in the league (respectively).

Great board work, good two-way game.

A huge surprise.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2018, 03:48 PM   #89
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

On pace for 55 goals or so?

I don't expect that, but 30 goals is very much in sight for him.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:49 PM   #90
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hope he keeps this up. Still feels like xmas for me.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:24 PM   #91
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got Lindy and Ferly on my fantasy team so I hope both keep shredding. Ferland is definitely a guy I will continue to cheer for, quality man and a quality player. Hope he gets a big pay day, just in the eastern conference.

That being said the 3 biggest things Lindholm does noticeably better than Ferland is his play in all 3 zones, his passing, and his puck control. Ferland has a great skill set but those advantages for Lindholm allow him to be used in way more situations than Ferland and more effective. Also he’s much better on the PP.

Last edited by Beninho; 10-30-2018 at 04:27 PM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:35 PM   #92
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't remember where I read it but Lindholm also has crazy high advanced stats for zone entries. I wonder when or even if we see the coaches start to change up the primary puck carrier on special teams from Gaudreau to Lindholm.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2018, 05:07 PM   #93
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I mentioned the other day that I would love to see Lindholm on his off-wing on the powerplay for one-timers and last night it was set up that way for a good chunk of one of the powerplays. He go a beautiful chance off of it too but his shot the side of the net on the one-timer.

I love the way this guy has been playing this season. I watched a bunch of his highlights when we acquired him and saw the vast majority of his goals were deflections in front of the net. Feels like because the flames already have one of, if not the best, net-front presence players in the league in Matthew tkachuk, Peters can use Lindholm off the half-wall where he is more effective like gaudreau is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:36 PM   #94
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to think of him as a playmaker more, but he is showing that he can be a trigger guy. Nice to have that flexibility.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:16 PM   #95
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

On pace for 49 goals.

Why is this thread on the second page?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 05:31 PM   #96
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

He has been a perfect fit and his offence is exploding. Fantastic news for us. In terms of top lines in the league, Colorado’s has rightly gotten most of the attention, but ours is a clear second in the league right now.

Avs first line trio: 27g-36a-63pts
Flames first line trio: 23g-31a-54pts

I bet ours passes theirs by the end of the year since teams can focus on them and they don’t have the depth to back it up, like we do.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:20 PM   #97
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
He has been a perfect fit and his offence is exploding. Fantastic news for us. In terms of top lines in the league, Colorado’s has rightly gotten most of the attention, but ours is a clear second in the league right now.

Avs first line trio: 27g-36a-63pts
Flames first line trio: 23g-31a-54pts

I bet ours passes theirs by the end of the year since teams can focus on them and they don’t have the depth to back it up, like we do.
Buffalo and Boston are ahead of us arent they? (with the better #1 line)
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:25 PM   #98
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesforcup View Post
Negative. Flames top 4 forwards are in the top 13 point scorers in the league
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:30 PM   #99
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Negative. Flames top 4 forwards are in the top 13 point scorers in the league
I read somewhere Buffalo's #1 line ever since Skinner and Eichal were united has had the most points in the league
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:31 PM   #100
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesforcup View Post
Skinner-Eichel-Pominville have 47pts
Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak have 50pts

To be fair, Buffalo has played 14 games, Boston has played 13, so they could be right on par after 15.